How to solve a problem like a left back

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:22 pm

Has been a problem position for so long. We’ve tried Aurelio, Konchesky, Johnson, Kelly, Agger, Wilson… and that’s just this season!!

Time for a big signing at left back who can help bring stability to our back 4

So who to bring in?

The list below was adapted from something goal.com did today, I can add any other suggestions in a similar format to the opening post as we go on.

So who do we want? – Who’s realistic? – And who will we end up with?

Name: Jose Enrique
Club: Newcastle
Nationality: Spanish
Price: £8 million

The Spaniard is right at the top of the Reds' list of targets and there have even been strong rumours on Merseyside that a deal is as good as done.

Newcastle want at least £10m for the 25-year-old, but Enrique's contract expires at the end of next season and buying clubs will have all the power in negotiations.
Liverpool face stern competition from other clubs, with Italian giants AC Milan particularly keen on a player who is recognised first and foremost for his solid defensive attributes.

The former Valencia star has made no secret that he sees his future away from Newcastle and linked up well with Andy Carroll when the Geordie was on Tyneside.

Name: Leighton Baines
Club: Everton
Nationality: English
Price: £12m

Baines has caught the eye this season with some sensational attacking displays for Everton - and the interest from Liverpool is genuine.

As a lifelong Liverpool supporter, Baines would be interested in a move across Stanley Park, where Kenny Dalglish has been highly impressed by his attacking talents.
But Everton are determined not to sell the 26-year-old to their bitter rivals and will price Liverpool out of the market for the player they signed from Wigan in 2007.

Baines has interested other clubs across Europe, but made it clear he was not keen in a move to Bayern Munich when the German club made an approach in the January transfer window.

Name: Fabio Coentrao
Club: Benfica
Nationality: Portuguese
Price: £22m

The Portuguese star is rated as one of the best full-backs in the world and that makes him the most expensive on the market this summer.

Liverpool have a long-standing interest in Coentrao, but the feeling is that they have too much work to do in the transfer market to spend in excess of £20m when cheaper alternatives are available.

The 23-year-old is renowned for his tenacity, energy and endless attacking runs, which would perfectly suit Liverpool's style of play since Dalglish took over.

He is widely expected to leave Benfica this summer, with Real Madrid the most likely option and Barcelona and Manchester United also known admirers. Manchester City and Bayern Munich could also challenge for his signature.

Name: Taye Taiwo
Club: Marseille
Nationality: Nigerian
Price: Free Transfer

The Nigerian defender has decided to quit Marseille after seven years at the club and will be available on a free transfer at the end of the season.

A strong, solid defender with a thunderous left foot, Taiwo has been perpetually linked with a move away from France and has now announced his intention to move to a new club.

Liverpool have expressed an interest in Taiwo but could be beaten to the punch by other clubs, with AC Milan and Benfica believed to have already started negotiations.
Premier League sides Aston Villa and Newcastle are also keen on the 25-year-old, who says his preferred destination would be AC Milan.

Name: Emilio Izaguirre
Club: Celtic
Nationality: Honduran
Price: £8m

Liverpool have watched the skilful left-back extensively in the last three months and the feedback is that he would be a star in the Premier League.

The Honduran has caught the eye with his performances in recent Old Firm clashes and was given a further boost when his national team manager said he should play for Barcelona.
Celtic boss Neil Lennon insists Izaguirre is not for sale but the Glasgow club would find it hard to turn down an offer in the region of £8m, particularly knowing the player his eager to test himself at a higher level.

Arsenal have also been linked with a move for the South American, who signed a four-year contract at Celtic Park when he joined from Motagua last summer.

Name: Maynor Figueroa
Club: Wigan
Nationality: Honduran
Price: £6m

Figueroa impressed after arriving at Wigan in 2008 and is highly rated by a number of Premier League managers including Sunderland boss Steve Bruce.

The Honduran is considered a potential option by Liverpool, but there are concerns over his form this season at Wigan, who sit bottom of the top flight.

Name: Gaël Clichy
Club: Arsenal
Nationality: French
Price: £14 million

Once considered one of the Premier Leagues best young left backs, Clichy's popularity amongst Arsenal's fans has dropped.

He had impressed hugely during three seasons as Cole's understudy and played well enough to be named in the PFA’s Premier League team of the year for 2007-8, providing six assists as Arsenal narrowly missed out on winning the title.

But the last couple of years he's fallen from grace and Arsenal may be prepared to let him go. In 2008-9, Clichy made no assists all season. In 2009-10, there was one and so far this season there has been just one.
Last edited by Redman in wales on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:37 pm

I actually think that given more time Johnson can do the role fine. He has performed really well at times there. Given a full pre-season there I believe he could be a real success. I don't understand half the criticism some on here give him.

Kelly and Johnson at full backs permanently, with one or two cheap signings as backup.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:49 pm

i actually quite like johnson on the left because it's not his natural side and so he's not so gun ho going forward all the time and constantly getting caught out of position. i'm not sure he'd like to play there long term though.

i'd go for izaguerre personally. every time i see him play for celtic he's been pure class. s
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:56 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I actually think that given more time Johnson can do the role fine. He has performed really well at times there. Given a full pre-season there I believe he could be a real success. I don't understand half the criticism some on here give him.

Kelly and Johnson at full backs permanently, with one or two cheap signings as backup.

I'm not too sure he is our long term solution at left back, especially that he likes to cut inside with his right foot and cross the ball. You can see that he is limited at left back but in turn produce some consistent performances.

We need a natural left back, someone who defends, overlaps and cross the ball. From the list I would pick Taiwo, who was excellent against the Mancs in the Champions League.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:18 pm

For me Coentrao is the youngest and best left back in the list, but I do not think we'll get him with other clubs reported interests. I think we could afford him, and if Commoli and Dalglish put the case for him forward, the new owners would trump up the cash, but I just don't know if we could entice him hear on our reputation without the promise of Champions league football especially when other top european clubs are sniffing around

After him comes Izaguirre, Taiwo and Enrique.

Izaguirre I've never actuallly seeen play before, but he's in there on reputation and other peoples reports.  He's the same age and would cost around the same as Enrique who I've seen a couple of times and liked what I've seen. Taiwo would be a great option if we want to focus our finances elsewhere, though he may be off to Milan
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:19 pm

metalhead wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:I actually think that given more time Johnson can do the role fine. He has performed really well at times there. Given a full pre-season there I believe he could be a real success. I don't understand half the criticism some on here give him.

I'm not too sure he is our long term solution at left back, especially that he likes to cut inside with his right foot and cross the ball. You can see that he is limited at left back but in turn produce some consistent performances.

We need a natural left back, someone who defends, overlaps and cross the ball. From the list I would pick Taiwo, who was excellent against the Mancs in the Champions League.

Agreed.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Octsky » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:25 pm

Redman in wales wrote:For me Coentrao is the youngest and best left back in the list, but I do not think we'll get him with other clubs reported interests. I think we could afford him, and if Commoli and Dalglish put the case for him forward, the new owners would trump up the cash, but I just don't know if we could entice him hear on our reputation without the promise of Champions league football especially when other top european clubs are sniffing around

Izaguirre I've never actuallly seeen play before, but he's in there on reputation and other peoples reports.  He's the same age and would cost around the same as Enrique who I've seen a couple of times and liked what I've seen. Taiwo would be a great option if we want to focus our finances elsewhere, though he may be off to Milan

22m on a left back?
reminds me of 18m we spend on Johnson, didnt actually work out, did it?

i think we are close on a deal with newcastle for jose.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Johnny Boy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:38 pm

Out of the list Enrique would be my choice, some of the others are over priced and I can't see the bitters selling to us.

To be honest Johnson has played well since Kenny took over and done okay at left back too.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:42 pm

Either Jose Enrique or Emilio Izaguirre. Actully Taiwo is the guy that I would welcome the most, but he wont sign for us. Would love Coentrao too, but I'm not sure that I want us to be buying full backs for that price.

On the other hand, I dont think that we need a full back that much. I mean, both Johnson and Kelly are doing great and I dont think that we should drop either of them. Not sure how happy is Johnson while playing as LB, but he's doing great on that positin, while Kelly is maybu doing even better playing as RB.

I think that we should concentrate more on other positions such as wingers, midfielders and centre backs becouse we already have two outstanding full backs.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby RedSi35 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Anyone have any idea how insua is doing out on loan?

Could save us a decent wedge if he has suddenly grasped the idea of what being a left back entails?
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:13 pm

Octsky wrote:
Redman in wales wrote:For me Coentrao is the youngest and best left back in the list, but I do not think we'll get him with other clubs reported interests. I think we could afford him, and if Commoli and Dalglish put the case for him forward, the new owners would trump up the cash, but I just don't know if we could entice him hear on our reputation without the promise of Champions league football especially when other top european clubs are sniffing around

22m on a left back?
reminds me of 18m we spend on Johnson, didnt actually work out, did it?

i think we are close on a deal with newcastle for jose.

just because one over-inflated priced defender didn't work out (in your opinion) doesn't mean it sets the standard for future buys.

that logic reminds me of £20m on robbie keane... didn't actually  work out, did it? - Best not ever spend that amount on a striker again, hey.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:59 pm

Cant see Coentrao coming at this moment in time with the way the last couple of seasons have gone.
Havent seen enough of the celtic lad at all.
Taiwo looks solid and has a great shot on him but if the rumours are true Milan and the champions league beckons.
I would take Enrique personally, gets better everytime i see him, is used to the league and the price isnt too bad.
Baines is better but couldnt see the move ever happening.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby parchpea » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Weve been linked with a Spanish lad Nacho Monreal recently, plays for Osasuna. Know nothing about him like. Bottom line is we need to get this position right this time because as pointed out earlier we have tried and tried, thrown good money after bad at left backs. Either the scouts have to be smart and find one off the radar or we go top dollar, a big hit on a fella like Lahm if he will move for cash. Baines wont come here either. I do like Enrique but can we afford another punt, its a risky one.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:19 pm

The most important thing here is to be realistic, without European football itll be hard to attract the top European talent. Personally out of the ones listed I'd opt for Enrique but the guy from Celtic is also worth a shout. Given the number of players we need to be getting in I'd say our budget will mainly go towards wingers therefore I wouldn't be pouring £22m into a left back
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby cptrios » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:31 pm

Izaguirre or Enrique for me as well. I'd love to get Taiwo on a free, but I doubt we'll be able to pull that one off.

I think I'd probably prefer Enrique, as he's got experience playing with Carroll already...but who knows.

(Count me amongst those who would love to have Baines here but dont' think it'll ever happen.)
cptrios

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion