Europa league - Here we come

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:22 am

Kharhaz wrote:Fire brigade phones Chirs Hughton in the early hours of the morning...
"Chris !, St James Park is on fire!"
"The cups man! Save the cups!" replies Chris Hughton,
"Well...the fire hasn't spread to the canteen yet, sir."

BA BOOM !  :wwww

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
account deleted by request

Postby tubby » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:25 am

Thats a good one.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:20 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:Back in 2001 i/we were over the feckin moon to win the the UEFA cup and what a final it was . Fast forward to present day and some would rather not be in the comp . Funny that don't yer think . Expectations you see , Rafas fault obviously .

Exactly. Winning the CL, getting to another final and a separate semi reset expectation levels, and in the meantime the UEFA cup remained basically the same. None of the reformatting has changed it in any significant way, by that I mean the level of the competition remains what it was. Maybe there's the nostalgia factor too, although I would have though that being the first club to win it 4 times would actually add to the experience of winning it. Another reason I think it's perceptibly less prestigious is that the bitters have been it a couple of times and that's bound to cause people to make the small-time club, small-time competition link :D

I agree.

People slag the competition off but you could argue that we equally as difficult games to get to the Europa League Final than the mancs do to get to the CL Final.

For me, Benfica, Valencia and Atletico Madrid are all as good on their day as Bayern, Bordeaux or Lyon.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby heimdall » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:53 pm

stmichael wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:Back in 2001 i/we were over the feckin moon to win the the UEFA cup and what a final it was . Fast forward to present day and some would rather not be in the comp . Funny that don't yer think . Expectations you see , Rafas fault obviously .

Exactly. Winning the CL, getting to another final and a separate semi reset expectation levels, and in the meantime the UEFA cup remained basically the same. None of the reformatting has changed it in any significant way, by that I mean the level of the competition remains what it was. Maybe there's the nostalgia factor too, although I would have though that being the first club to win it 4 times would actually add to the experience of winning it. Another reason I think it's perceptibly less prestigious is that the bitters have been it a couple of times and that's bound to cause people to make the small-time club, small-time competition link :D

I agree.

People slag the competition off but you could argue that we equally as difficult games to get to the Europa League Final than the mancs do to get to the CL Final.

For me, Benfica, Valencia and Atletico Madrid are all as good on their day as Bayern, Bordeaux or Lyon.

You could argue it but you'd not win.  :p

Seriously though the teams still in the CL are there for a reason, i.e they know how to play high quality football.
heimdall

Postby shawnk » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:06 pm

heimdall wrote:
stmichael wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

I agree.

You could argue it but you'd not win.  :p

Seriously though the teams still in the CL are there for a reason, i.e they know how to play high quality football.

or play winning football, which we lack both at the moment, sadly.
shawnk

Postby Boocity » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:14 pm

stmichael wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

I agree.

The credibility of the competition has decreased since we last won it as more teams have gone into the UCL.

I think it would be a much more valuable competition and given a lot more credance if the winners of the Europa League got an automatic spot in the Champions league the following season.

Starting now :D
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:35 pm

ToonSteve wrote:I wish Liverpool fans would get over themselves and stop thinking they are good supporters! 38,000 against Lille in European competition, Newcastle United pulled in more than 39,000 against SCUNTHORPE in the Championship!
You think you have a god given right to be winning stuff, get real you idiots.

Haha! Brilliant! I never spotted this! Cracked me up, the biggest club in the world never to have won anything! Who blame Mike Ashley for all of their problems because he.......because he.........he.......he.......oh, I remember, he upset Kevin Keegan, and then Keegan uncharacteristacally quit on the spot  :D

What's he doin on an LFC forum anyway!?
Last edited by Scottbot on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:05 pm

Liverpool v's Benfica is as glamourous a game as a supporter could want. Two great clubs, two great traditions... if this was the final I´d be a happy man, its as big as anything the CL could produce.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:13 pm

While i can see why alot of fans are unhappy that we are even in it, this game like Reg said is a glamourous one.
Benfica are massively steeped in tradition and have a good exciting side at the moment. They were great to watch against everton, and not just because it was the blues  :D
I mean they played some really good stuff and will be very difficult opponents.
Also if we can get past them, Valencia and Athletico would be very exciting games for the semi's.
I went the home game against Lille and geniunely enjoyed it.
And i havent said that very often this season, so i for one am happy for us being in this cup.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby badradio » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi! I'm a Benfica fan..I registered 4 years ago, last time we met in CL. It's nice to face the great Liverpool again...I think it's going to be an amazing tie between two historical teams with some of the best supporters in the world.
In my opinion Benfica is playing a lot better than it was in 2006, but this time we are fighting for the title and we've been having LOTS of matches, so I'm affraid the players won't be so fresh, considering the League title is our main objective. Anyway, we just finished our League Cup run beating Oporto 3-0 on the final..no more games for that.
I'm looking forward to see Liverpool on Estadio da Luz, and some of their great fans... Benfica fans respect you very much, and even more with the reaction you had on that 2nd leg on the Champions League in 2006.

Good luck with the league matches..it isn't going very well, but now with Torres I'm sure things will get different.
badradio

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:44 pm

Welcome back to our forum and we´re looking forward to the Benfica game as much as you are, its a priviledge to play such a great club.

As you probably know we´re having a terrible season however I´m sure we´ll rise to the challenge and make a game of it!

Look forward to your further comments, can you tell us who your key players are this year?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby badradio » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:30 pm

Well...our best signing this season was clearly Jorge Jesus, the manager. We are playing the best football in last decades.
Our team is good defensively, even though we now play with only one defensive player in the midfield (Javi Garcia). Maxi Pereira (RB) is a very competitive player, not specially skillful, tho. Luisão (you already know him) and David Luiz are our central backs. David Luiz will be a star in some top european team soon. Keep an eye on him...He's already strongly rumoured for Real Madrid and Barcelona for 35-40M€. Our left defensive side should probably be the weakest from the defense. Cesar Peixoto is not a top player, and Fábio Coentrão, being a very good player and a major prospect for the portuguese side, is originally a left winger, adapted this year to LB by Jorge Jesus. He's been playing very well, had a great performance in Velodrome, but obviously, it's his first year as LB, so...
Javi Garcia is a key player for us. He was signed this season from Real Madrid, and he's doing very well. He's only 22, very strong physically.
Ramires is a brazilian NT squad starter, a very good player. He usually plays on the right side..
Di Maria is one of main prospects in european football, being already a starter in Argentina NT. He's performing VERY well..and if he's on a good day, it's almost unstoppable due to his high skill and pace. He's also rumoured with main european sharks. He's still a little irregular sometimes and must improve his shooting ability. When he manages to achieve that, he'll be clearly one of the best in the world.
Aimar is our playmaker...he started the season very well, now he's showing a little tired, but he still has that amazing touch.
Our attacking line is formed by Saviola, who's having a great season...(19 goals so far) and Oscar Cardozo (28 goals). Cardozo is our main striker as Saviola usually runs around.. He has a VERY good left foot, and he's always on the right place. He'll see him play and think 'This guy has 30 goals?!' and 2nd time you think that he probably already scored.
Our attack have been largely praised by press, specially for our 103 goals in 42 official matches, including a 1-4 win against Sporting, 3-0 against Porto, 5-0 vs Everton and so on..but I think our defense is equally good.
This season has been very promissing so far, winning all 5 pre season cups, including Amsterdam Tournment; winning League Cup title, leading the League with +11 for Porto and +20 for Sporting, and being very well on Europa League knocking out Marseille on Velodrome....but, the season hasn't finished yet, so it can easily turn to a major deception if we fail to win the league.

So, since the post is already too long, I'd say to keep an eye specially on David Luiz, Ramires, Di Maria and Javi Garcia if you're thinking of possible signings for Liverpool. I'm sure you'll like all of them.

I think it will be a tough tie for both teams...I honestly think that if Benfica manages to win 2-0 at home, we'll be thru. Even a 1-0 win would be a good result for us, since usually Benfica scores..
If we have problems at home, knowing the great atmosphere in Anfield, with Liverpool being good as it usually is on cups, I think it will be VERY difficult for us.

You can have an idea about Benfica by watching most of the goals we scored this season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_8dIsglmyc&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qgSJBQVlc8&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKcf4IQZMGs
badradio

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:32 pm

Just another pub team then :D
LFC2007

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:47 pm

Thanks for a great description of your players, thats will help us get a good idea of who the danger men are.

Some of those goals in the first video look offside..... I´m sure theres a logical explanation !! :laugh:

The way Liverpool´s playing you might well go 2-0 up at home... we´re so unpredictable either you´ll win 2-0 or we will... and who knows what will happen in the second game. LFC´s lost 10 times this season from 31 games and twice against bottom placed teams. Crazy.

Benitez continues to play the same midfield which lacks vision, meaning the forwards get poor service. Torres has been injured most of the season and our replacment Ngog is schoolboy standard.

Maybe the team that wants to win the most will.... and until the game starts we wont know how much LFC want to win.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:51 pm

I would have been looking foward to this game if it wasent for the demoralised players and fans.I mean, Liverpool and Benfica are teams who have very much simularities.Both have rich history, both have great fans, both have a specific game that amazes the eye and when both clash against it's something that is better than a :censored: CL final... too bad Liverpool is in a such a bad shape... players dont show that specific game, and even worst that cant happen to great fans is that they dont approve the title "One of the best fans in the world".But to tell you the truth I wont have any regrets if we get beaten by Benfica, who are very opposite of us this season and are simply great.The only thing that I would regret is if we dont see a game that these two teams should present when they face each other.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion