Europa League last 32 draw

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:26 pm

14.00 CET, 20 December, Nyon

The draw for the round of 32 includes the top two teams from each of the 12 groups along with the eight sides transferring from the UEFA Champions League after finishing third in their pools.

The UEFA Europa League group winners are all seeded, along with the four UEFA Champions League qualifiers with the best record in their section. The other four sides transferring from the elite competition and the UEFA Europa League group runners-up are in the unseeded pot and are drawn first, meaning they are drawn to play the first-leg matches at home. They cannot be paired with either the winners from their section or clubs from the same association.

Round of 32 draw pots

Seeded teams

Liverpool FC, FC Viktoria Plzeň, Fenerbahçe SK, FC Girondins de Bordeaux, FC Steaua Bucureşti, FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, KRC Genk, FC Rubin Kazan, Olympique Lyonnais, S.S. Lazio, FC Metalist Kharkiv, Hannover 96, Chelsea FC*, CFR 1907 Cluj*, Olympiacos FC*, SL Benfica*.

Unseeded teams

FC Anji Makhachkala, Club Atlético de Madrid, VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach, Newcastle United FC, VfB Stuttgart, SSC Napoli, FC Basel 1893, FC Internazionale Milano, AC Sparta Praha, Tottenham Hotspur FC, Bayer 04 Leverkusen, Levante UD, FC Dynamo Kyiv*, FC Zenit St Petersburg*, AFC Ajax*, FC BATE Borisov*.

*Transferred from the UEFA Champions League

Here are the teams we could face: Atlético Madrid, Borussia Mönchengladbach, Stuttgart, Napoli, Basel, Inter Milan, Sparta Prague, Bayer Leverkusen, Levante, Zenit, BATE, Dynamo Kiev, Ajax.

Ties will take place on February 14 and 21.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:53 pm

Great first leg on Valentines day

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:39 pm

it would be great to be drawn against BMG, we had 3 epic clashes with them back in the 70`s (3 epic clashes but 5 games, the uefa cup final and the european cup semi finals of 78 were both over 2 legs) and although we came out on top in all the clashes (we lost both games we played over in germany but won the ties overall) BMG were a terrific side. they had about 6 players from the all conquering german national team that swept all before them in the mid 70`s (including the world cup and european championships) and they also had a european footballer of the year in the dane alan simonsen who was a terrific player.
BMG fans never forgot those epic encounters against us they and raised a lot of money for the hillsborough campaign back in the early days when practically everyone in this country either believed the s*n`s lies or wanted to believe them.
i know there are supporters groups from liverpool and BMG who visit each other every year as well.
i hope we get drawn against them, it would be a great occassion at anfield.
if you are a liverpool fan and follow german footy your team should be BMG.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:02 am

As a German footie fan, I get aroused watching Dortmund :)
Cracking football, great club, fantastic manager.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:04 am

LFC1990 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:53 pm wrote:Great first leg on Valentines day

Leg over on valentines day if youre lucky
:;):
Thommo's perm

Postby Reg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:37 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:39 am wrote:it would be great to be drawn against BMG, we had 3 epic clashes with them back in the 70`s (3 epic clashes but 5 games, the uefa cup final and the european cup semi finals of 78 were both over 2 legs) and although we came out on top in all the clashes (we lost both games we played over in germany but won the ties overall) BMG were a terrific side. they had about 6 players from the all conquering german national team that swept all before them in the mid 70`s (including the world cup and european championships) and they also had a european footballer of the year in the dane alan simonsen who was a terrific player.
BMG fans never forgot those epic encounters against us they and raised a lot of money for the hillsborough campaign back in the early days when practically everyone in this country either believed the s*n`s lies or wanted to believe them.
i know there are supporters groups from liverpool and BMG who visit each other every year as well.
i hope we get drawn against them, it would be a great occassion at anfield.
if you are a liverpool fan and follow german footy your team should be BMG.

Ditto mate, I'm from that era as well, I'm sure both clubs and sets of fans would relish getting together again, I have great respect for BMG.  :nod
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:10 am

I tell you what some of the teams we could play could be very tricky.

Napoli
Inter Milan
Atletico Madrid

I'd hate a trip to Zenit Simply because there fans are scum.

If i was to have my choice id pick Levante - Short trip to Spain no fan trouble and should be a nice win

LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby burjennio » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:16 am

We do NOT want to draw Levante. They are a very disciplined, capable side that would cause us umpteen problems that I honestly dont think our current side would be good enough to overcome.
burjennio

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:38 am

Such an obsessive Spanish football guru, burj  :D
LFC2007

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:39 am

If we cant beat Levante id be very worried to see what a team like Ath Madrid would do to us.

LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby burjennio » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Levante and Athleti have one thing in common that we have time and again struggled again this season: discipline. They are very compact and make it difficult for the opposition to get any space to play (where it matters, not in our own third  :D ) obviously Athleti have the added luxury of the most prolific number 9 in football at the moment but Levante are very effective at what they do. They are at the top end of La Liga for the second season in a row showing that last season was no fluke (do you hear me Alan Pardew  :D )
burjennio

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:21 pm

i`d actually fancy our chances more against someone like athletico than levante, when faced with a big name and top players our players tend to step up to the plate but when faced with someone that they are expected to beat (or a club thats not that prestigeious in terms of history or fame) a lethargy sets in.
as a team we are flaky as f##k mentally and no one knows what to expect from us from one week from the next but on our day we are capable of passing teams like city and man united off the park (the latter with 10 men).
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:30 pm

the fact that we're at home for the 2nd leg can't be underestimated. it's a huge factor in europe under the lights when the crowd really gets behind the side.

personally i hope we get leverkusen so sami can come home again.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:23 pm

Zenit St.Petersburg.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:24 pm

hardly ideal.

already preparing for the jokes about 2 racist clubs blah blah blah
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next