Europa league - That come around quick

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JohnBull » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:23 am

Third qualifying round

Draw 16 July 2010
First Leg 29 July 2010
Second Leg 5 August 2010

We join 69 other teams in this draw and our season starts then.
Just as well we're prepared  ???

At least the final's in Dublin on 18th May
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby In and Out » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:30 am

send out the reserves, we don't need to be in this comp.
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:58 am

Probably played some part, no matter how small, in demotivating the squad. Getting knocked out of a major cup competition is bad enough, without having to drop into a second rate one and play on Thursdays then monday nights.

I know some rate this competition, can't imagine why as it is devoid of top quality. Unless you win it, it is humiliating to be in it, an ambition of sides not able to get into the top four is to play in it ffs. And you don't see "fair play" teams in the Champions League either. That teams NINTH and TWELFTH in their respective leagues made up the final says it all.

The competition probably does warrant a "big eared trophy", just made out to look like a certain mouse............................ (goes by the name "Mickey" if you're a tad slow)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:36 am

In and Out wrote:send out the reserves, we don't need to be in this comp.

This
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dundreamin » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:11 am

Uefa could give this competition some kudos,if they awarded a champions league spot to the winners
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 am

send out the reserves yet and i hope they do us proud  :buttrock
maypaxvobiscum

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:41 am

Lets not have Ego's here.  We're not better than this and thats the truth.
We finished 7th in the league and just about qualified for the qualifier of this competition. (due to Portsmouth).

Teams/managers get judged on the trophies they win and this is a good chance at landing some silverware.  how many Liverpool fans say things like "4 years without a trophy"?  but also don't acknowledge 07 CL runners up or 09 PL runners up. 

So i think we should compete for this although id like more emphsis on the PL.  I think this qualifier could actually be a blessing in disguise.  Won't do us any harm to have 2 competitive matches before the difficult opening to the PL.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:54 am

jacdaniel wrote:Lets not have Ego's here.  We're not better than this and thats the truth.
We finished 7th in the league and just about qualified for the qualifier of this competition. (due to Portsmouth).

Teams/managers get judged on the trophies they win and this is a good chance at landing some silverware.  how many Liverpool fans say things like "4 years without a trophy"?  but also don't acknowledge 07 CL runners up or 09 PL runners up. 

So i think we should compete for this although id like more emphsis on the PL.  I think this qualifier could actually be a blessing in disguise.  Won't do us any harm to have 2 competitive matches before the difficult opening to the PL.

That's actually a good point the difficulty of our start.
We were not fully prepared at the start of last season for the spurs away game imo, so like you said this could turn out to be beneficial.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:16 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
jacdaniel wrote:Lets not have Ego's here.  We're not better than this and thats the truth.

That's actually a good point the difficulty of our start.
We were not fully prepared at the start of last season for the spurs away game imo, so like you said this could turn out to be beneficial.

lets hope so  :)

As far as i remember, Standard liege gave us a real scare a year or two back. We had to dig very deep to get past them but then we went on to have our best ever PL start and finish. (Im certain it was that year).

an extra half a yard of fitness would be a great bonus for the first couple of matches.
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Dont pollute the forum with stupid comments mate, theres enough stress out there as it is at the moment.

Not only is a the UEFA Cup a cup that Liverpool won under Shank´s reign and set us up for future glories but with the club virtually bust, we need every penny we can get.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby In and Out » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:17 pm

Reg wrote:

Dont pollute the forum with stupid comments mate, theres enough stress out there as it is at the moment.

Not only is a the UEFA Cup a cup that Liverpool won under Shank´s reign and set us up for future glories but with the club virtually bust, we need every penny we can get.

It is not a stupid comment far from it.

We need to sort our house out, we need to focus on the bread and butter and get back to basics and build from there.

Nothing about ego's so before accussing this post of "polluting" the forum, the less distractions the team have the better. And going to some European backwater isn't going to remedy our problems domestically.

As for money, the Europa cup offers next to nothing in finances where as qualifying 4th in the league is where the money is at.
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:07 pm

In and Out wrote:As for money, the Europa cup offers next to nothing in finances where as qualifying 4th in the league is where the money is at.

I bow to your greater knolwedge, however I think you´ll find that the winner of the UEFA cup can earn about the same as a CL semi finalist.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Reg wrote:
In and Out wrote:As for money, the Europa cup offers next to nothing in finances where as qualifying 4th in the league is where the money is at.

I bow to your greater knolwedge, however I think you´ll find that the winner of the UEFA cup can earn about the same as a CL semi finalist.

im not too sure about that to be honest but i know that it certainly doesnt hurt to keep your reputation in europe as high as possible.

A lot of our better players signed for us because of our success in Europe.
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby In and Out » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:39 pm

Reg wrote:

Yes you are right financially it's worth it, we should go all out to win this cup.
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:59 am

If you look at the way a great run in the Europa League has benefitted other clubs over the years both financially and by increasing their profile then i dont think one complete season in there will do us any harm at all.
Yossi_Benaloon

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion