Europa League - coefficient

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jacdaniel » Thu May 14, 2015 8:17 am

For the past few years we have constantly heard arguments about whether or not its worth qualifying for the EL.  Although its not a view held by myself, The general consensus seems to be that its better not to qualify or to play your B team as much as possible if you do. 

We need to focus on the league, because thats how we qualify for the CL right?  And we only care about the CL, they money it generates,
signing star players. 

English teams have adopted this ignornant way of thinking while the Italians are outperforming us in Europe and must now be a very real
threat towards our 4th place CL spot.  Juve are in the CL final.  Napoli and Fiorentina still in the EL. 
As the Cooefficient is based over 5 years, I imagine United's CL final appearance will soon be wiped off and Chelsea's CL win will follow soon enough.   

From what I can tell, if the Italian teams continue to perform better in Europe then we are in real danger of losing the 4th place trophy a year or 2 from now. 
Thats going to be real bad news for us and the league in general.  We know Chelsea, City and United have bags of money. 
Would our ownership remain interested in investing if the 4th spot was gone or would they look to sell? 
Would potential new owners be interested?  Or Sponsors?

Potential dark period ahead for the PL.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Thu May 14, 2015 8:58 am

The modern attitude highlights an issue with the world today. For us fans it should really be about watching football and supporting the team. Personally I watch (or did. Sadly I feel I'm losing interest) every match going. Friendlies, Europa, whatever. Because that's what it's about. The moment. The day. The match. Now we as fans find ourselves forwards planning. We sacrifice watching our team in a Thursday night this year so we can maaaaaybe watch them on a Wednesday the year after. What happened? :(

Social media happened. It allows us to discuss the finer points of the business side of things when we should just be watching and cheering. Or swearing.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby leeroy74 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:24 am

basically if we're in a competition we should play to win it. I hate the fans that say they're not bothered about a cup and would rather lose and drop out . its a sad breed of new fan.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 14, 2015 9:42 am

The problem for English clubs though is that the Prem is a very competative league, it may not be the best league on the planet but it is a division where you have got to turn up every week.
Practically every english club that has started the season in the EL and gone far in the tournament has seen their league form suffer.
If you are playing 16/17 EL games and maybe a similar number in the domestic cups that is practically the equivalent of playing another 30 odd game season on top of the premier league program. A lot of the lesser lights in the division like Palace, Hull etc don't play anywhere near as many games and come the latter stages of the season that does become an advantage especially in this country where energy and effort are often the deciding factors in games.
It takes some doing to do well in both Europe and the prem without a very deep squad.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Thu May 14, 2015 9:43 am

It is sad to see a competition like this is under valued.

From a few peoples perspective its a hinderance, annoying trips to the ar$e end of Russia to pick up an injury to play a lack lustre game on a Sunday.

Look at Everton... They we're god awful in the PL until they dropped out of the Europa League.

It's a sad state of affairs but evidence points to it hindering a dosmestic campaign. 

I don't see how its any different to a Champions League game on a Wednesday and playing on a Saturday myself, but hey ho there seems to be a difference.
Kopite-Jud

Postby red till i die!! » Thu May 14, 2015 10:49 am

Good point Jac and it is something that not many of us would have thought about.
Problem is that this competition has lost its prestige through Uefa making it a booby prize for teams coming from the CL. All the bigger leagues and better teams make the CL and that leaves all the minnows making up the numbers in the early months and while it is great for the minnows, You have to ask what chance have they really got seeing as a CL team wins it every year  :down: . Uefa has turned it into a joke and the only way it will change is if clubs tell them where to stick it.

I fully agree with leeroy above and absolutely loved our past wins in this competition but considering the implications it has on your domestic season I can understand why a big club like us will treat it with contempt. We could end up playing our first games in july and its always trips to the back end of nowhere and then playing catch up in the league. Last season showed in our case what can be achieved by not being in it and already we have heard lots about using it to blood in the kids. It makes you think does the club even want to be in it. I don't think they do and wouldn't be fussed if we didn't even make the group stage.

If the prem lost 4th it would be a massive blow to a lot of clubs including us as that seems to be the main objective every year. I doubt it would bother fenway either as if you don't make it then they will penalise you through the money they will allocate for players. Off the field they have grown their investment something rotten considering what they paid for it and as long as that continues to happen they won't give a shyte as long as ffp holds up and guarantees our 5th place finish is secure. They are Fleas sucking on the revenue the club generates through the premier league which is all that matters to them and why they would never have invested in any other league.

If we go into it then it should be with the view to give it our all but it won't be and will only serve to frustrate us even more looking at us trying to get out of it rather than win the damn thing.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Thu May 14, 2015 1:54 pm

Teams can make up to 10-15 million which will help FFP
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundreamin is back » Thu May 14, 2015 2:39 pm

I remember when we first won the UEFA Cup in 73. In them days you would see the club's playing in the UEFA cup would go on the be their domestic titles then play in the European cup. Nowdays it's just about Money Sky et all have a lot to answer for
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion