Europa league - Here we come

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:05 pm

I was asked to start a thread so here goes.

Link

Positive thread people (or at least until the next match)
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:12 pm

Lets hope we can go on and win it - be the first name on the trophy
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:17 pm

I think if we can get ourselves going a bit we've got a really good chance of winning it. There's obviously some reasonable teams in it, but equally obviously the bigger guns will qualify through in the Champions League so we're deservedly favourites. Crucially, any English teams we run into won't be the big boys, and just about my only concern is that as you have to play so many matches, it may impact on the rest of our season.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:18 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Lets hope we can go on and win it - be the first name on the trophy

We've got so spoilt with Rafa always having CL football that we balk at Europa league. But I would enjoy the ride and it will bring income so I'll take it. What am I going to do, stop supporting because we are out of the CL
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:19 pm

bigmick wrote:I think if we can get ourselves going a bit we've got a really good chance of winning it. There's obviously some reasonable teams in it, but equally obviously the bigger guns will qualify through in the Champions League so we're deservedly favourites. Crucially, any English teams we run into won't be the big boys, and just about my only concern is that as you have to play so many matches, it may impact on the rest of our season.

We would play an extra two games if we go all the way - then their is the FA Cup as well .
Benny The Noon

Postby kazza » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:22 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
bigmick wrote:I think if we can get ourselves going a bit we've got a really good chance of winning it. There's obviously some reasonable teams in it, but equally obviously the bigger guns will qualify through in the Champions League so we're deservedly favourites. Crucially, any English teams we run into won't be the big boys, and just about my only concern is that as you have to play so many matches, it may impact on the rest of our season.

We would play an extra two games if we go all the way - then their is the FA Cup as well .

From a selfish point of view I like to watch the team play so the more matches the better.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:26 pm

A lot of people seem to think that just because we are in it, we are going to win it!

Have they seen us play lately?
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:26 pm

Oh we are still going to have to play well to win it DD - their is some decent teams in it .
Benny The Noon

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:36 pm

I would love to win it personally, its a trophy with some big teams in and winning any trophy would be great for the players.
The likes of Reina and Torres etc are desperate to win medals as i am sure are all of the players so winning the europa league would be great.

But we are a mile away from that at the moment, we just need to get back some confidence from somewhere as the players just seem to be miles away from where they should be at the moment, and if this carries on we will not get near a trophy.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby kazza » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:39 pm

Dundalk wrote:A lot of people seem to think that just because we are in it, we are going to win it!

Up until last night I thought we would win the CL so that is how much I know.  :D
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:41 pm

Dundalk wrote:A lot of people seem to think that just because we are in it, we are going to win it!

matches don't start till February, hopefully we will be a different looking team by then
JoeTerp

Postby Owzat » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:57 pm

...................or considered that getting into the CL next season is more of a priority and Rafa is not great at juggling cups with the league. In 04/05 we won the CL and finished FIFTH, in 05/06 we finished 3rd on 82 points and crashed out of the CL at the last sixteen stage.

That said, your point stands that this season we're doing sh 1 t in the league and out of the CL already. The unfortunate thing is that we should do well as the general quality is modest and it's two legs which favours the better sides, so it will probably be a CL dropout that wins it. Last season THREE of the four semi-finalists in the UEFA Cup were CL dropouts - Werder Bremen (runners-up), Shaktar Donetsk (Winners) and Dynamo Kiev. Hamburg were the only side to start off in the UEFA Cup, I can't see this season being much different. We got knocked out by CELTIC last time we dropped out of the CL into the UEFA Cup

That season (02/03) we finished fifth having started off 12 unbeaten. Houllier took us on a run of 11 without a win in the league and survived.

You want spooky coincidence, in 02/03 we played the bitters, Blackburn and Arsenal in three consecutive games (all draws), we play the bitters, Blackburn and then....................... Arsenal. We hung on to Houllier for 1-1.5 seasons too long applying, funny how few moan about him, Evans or Souness not getting the magical "seven years" that it took fergie to win the league........................................
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:11 pm

It would be awesome if we played Roma.
Zidane

Postby tubby » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:31 pm

Would be good if we won this and the FA Cup and finished 4th.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:56 pm

Can you imagine it though if we met the bitters an knocked them out , that alone would be worth it :D
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion