Europa league - That come around quick

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:40 pm

Now why would that be?  ???  Well, the knockout format is less forgiving and the opposition tends to be better than in the earlier rounds, so as Roy said, he won't have the luxury of resting so many key players.
LFC2007

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:02 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Now why would that be?  ???  Well, the knockout format is less forgiving and the opposition tends to be better than in the earlier rounds, so as Roy said, he won't have the luxury of resting so many key players.

Or it could easily be the goal posts need to be shifted given our disgraceful points total thus far in the league  ???
Anyway you believe what you wish ,I was just labouring under the belief that the manager had set finishing fourth higher in his list of priorities this season  .. that's  all ..... I'm not stating anyone is delusional to believe either slant ,its just I much prefer my slant on things .....  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:20 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:Now why would that be?  ???  Well, the knockout format is less forgiving and the opposition tends to be better than in the earlier rounds, so as Roy said, he won't have the luxury of resting so many key players.

Or it could easily be the goal posts need to be shifted given our disgraceful points total thus far in the league  ???
Anyway you believe what you wish ,I was just labouring under the belief that the manager had set finishing fourth higher in his list of priorities this season  .. that's  all ..... I'm not stating anyone is delusional to believe either slant ,its just I much prefer my slant on things .....  :D

???  If, come February, it transpires that Roy picks a weakened team to play in the league and an obviously stronger team for our European games, then you could reasonably conclude that the manager's priorities have shifted away from the league toward Europe. So far that hasn't been the case. Another indication of such a shift in priorities might be seen if, for example, the manager were to subsitute say, Torres, in an important league game prior to a European game. Not that that's ever happened before or anything :)
LFC2007

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:10 pm

LFC2007 wrote: ???  If, come February, it transpires that Roy picks a weakened team to play in the league and an obviously stronger team for our European games, then you could reasonably conclude that the manager's priorities have shifted away from the league toward Europe. So far that hasn't been the case. Another indication of such a shift in priorities might be seen if, for example, the manager were to subsitute say, Torres, in an important league game prior to a European game. Not that that's ever happened before or anything :)

This is where I'm am  supposed to retort "What's Rafa got to do with this " ... well with the  outcome of this discussion in all eventuality  dying on its tedious @ rse ,after long and laborious speeches with much haranguing from both concerned parties ......
I would just like to say it would suprise me more if the current manager opted for a winning team in the league rather than that of a weakened one    :upside:
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dundreamin » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:16 pm

Christ everywhere on this forum is depressing. I know times are hard but theres no need for this.getting me down BIG TIME!
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:36 am

Of course we will start putting out a stronger team in the knockout stages. We are out of the League Cup and there is a decent chance of us being out of the FA Cup when this restarts. Either way we should try and win it. It's silverware and will be nice little earner if we get to the final stages.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:47 am

Sometimes a good cup run can be a springboard to an improvement in a team's league form, as the confidence and excitement around the club grows. I've got no worries about us putting out stronger sides in principle. In fact a strong team with a start for Shelvey/Wilson/Pacheco has got to be good for them, and us - arguably better than the kids all playing together.

In the end, the league has to be our top priority, but that doesn't preclude midweek starts for our first team players. And Europa Cup medals hanging around our players neck has to be good when we are recruiting players - not as good as Premiership or Champions League medals, but better Europa League than nothing.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roysreds » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:31 pm

What's kennys euro record like? as the ban came in when he was our manager.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=1582113.html

Would love a glorious night in Dublin
roysreds

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion