EPL Title race - 21/22

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby damjan193 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:18 pm

I think we'll have to do the job ourselves, I can't see them dropping more points than us in different fixtures. They do have some tricky fixtures to play like Palace away which is today, and also Wolves away and West Ham away, but they don't have any matches against big name clubs like we do (Arsenal away and United and Spurs at home). It would have been different had the refs done their jobs properly during this season but as things stand, we have to beat City at the Etihad to have a chance of winning the title.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:02 pm

damjan193 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:18 pm wrote:I think we'll have to do the job ourselves, I can't see them dropping more points than us in different fixtures. They do have some tricky fixtures to play like Palace away which is today, and also Wolves away and West Ham away, but they don't have any matches against big name clubs like we do (Arsenal away and United and Spurs at home). It would have been different had the refs done their jobs properly during this season but as things stand, we have to beat City at the Etihad to have a chance of winning the title.

I wouldn't be so sure  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:07 pm

Haha well, I might be wrong :D.

Realistically though, as happy as I am with them dropping points today, it still changes nothing, just a draw at the Etihad still won't be enough for us, unless they somehow drop points somewhere else and we don't drop any (highly unlikely, though admittedly not impossible).
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:09 pm

Cracking defensive performance by Crystal Palace.It’s getting interesting !! My nerves are shot !!

Certainly don’t agree that the result changes nothing. That will be in City’s head.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:10 pm

Well done Palace!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:11 pm

I still fancy city to draw another game or two.

They have some tricky away games against teams that are fighting for their lives.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:22 pm

Thank you Palace, must keep winning ourselves now, Arsenal on Wed will be tricky.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:18 pm

devaney » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:09 pm wrote:Cracking defensive performance by Crystal Palace.It’s getting interesting !! My nerves are shot !!

Certainly don’t agree that the result changes nothing. That will be in City’s head.

We are deffo in their heads, the reason why City's players are snatching at chances etc is because they are feeling the pressure that comes with blowing a 13 point lead.
They'd be breezing past the likes of Palace and Southampton otherwise.
I watched one of City's versions of Arsenal's fan TV yesterday and their fans cant believe we can get within 1 point of them, they openly said they thought the title was in the bag, now they are desperately hoping Arsenal can do them a favour, I know this is a big if but if we can beat the gunners convincingly on their own patch we really would ratchet the pressure up on them.
As for us we've got to portray this air of serene invincibility, if they see us wobble or scrape results they'll  take heart from that, even though we are sh*tting bricks and sweating bullets ourselves we've got to make City believe they are battling fate, make them believe that after closing such a big gap there's an inevitability about us winning the league, like it's written in the stars or something. The way to do that is just keep on winning.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:32 am

I also think we also need clean sheets and to be fair we have been getting them. With our attack, the thought of not being able to score against us makes getting points of us almost impossible. Where we are better than City is in attack so we need to be better than City in defense, we do that and they will fold. City remind me of a spoilt rich kid full of entitlement because he knows his daddy will buy him whatever he needs, Liverpool on the other hand has had to do it the hard way, graft and defy the odds. I know who is more likely to crumble when the pressure is on.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:29 am

When City lose initiative they always tend to crack under pressure. If we keep winning and beat them ln their turf ai would've be surprised if we win the league by a bigger margin.

Like few said we just need to keep on winning and continue that tonight. Confident we will beat Arsenal but aware of their current form.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:34 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:18 pm wrote:
devaney » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:09 pm wrote:Cracking defensive performance by Crystal Palace.It’s getting interesting !! My nerves are shot !!

We are deffo in their heads, the reason why City's players are snatching at chances etc is because they are feeling the pressure that comes with blowing a 13 point lead.
They'd be breezing past the likes of Palace and Southampton otherwise.
I watched one of City's versions of Arsenal's fan TV yesterday and their fans cant believe we can get within 1 point of them, they openly said they thought the title was in the bag, now they are desperately hoping Arsenal can do them a favour, I know this is a big if but if we can beat the gunners convincingly on their own patch we really would ratchet the pressure up on them.
As for us we've got to portray this air of serene invincibility, if they see us wobble or scrape results they'll  take heart from that, even though we are sh*tting bricks and sweating bullets ourselves we've got to make City believe they are battling fate, make them believe that after closing such a big gap there's an inevitability about us winning the league, like it's written in the stars or something. The way to do that is just keep on winning.

I agree with everything you said mate. We're definitely living in their heads right now, the other night when they drew Palace in the post-match interview Silva was speaking how they're still in a better position than us but nobody even mentioned us or asked him about the title race.

Like others have said, when City lose momentum and are under pressure they can easily crumble and lose points in games you wouldn't expect them to. So I agree that we need to make ourselves seem invincible and mess with their heads. That's why the game tonight is very important psychologically.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:15 pm

I'm going to go on a limb and say we'll be ahead of city before we play them at the emptyhad.

The pressure on them will be huge when they play Burnley away and we'll ready be top after beating Watford.

The Pep meltdown is going to be glorious.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:41 am

I just hope City keep dropping points because ever game now is nervy lol.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:19 am

redshade » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:41 am wrote:I just hope City keep dropping points because ever game now is nervy lol.

Teams tended to roll over against City, they should have scored plenty against Palace but it was them that threw it away, not necessarily good play from Palace but hopefully other teams will smell a little blood and actually have a go. Seeing how we replaced Jota and Diaz for Salah and Firmino should show how we are now a fantastic squad, not just team. City are actually behind us in terms of squad strength, I never thought I’d ever say that. I think we beat them man for man and now we beat them squad for squad. I think it will only take some bad luck or freak event so stop us winning the title this year, and I think City know it.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:28 am

Kazza I agree that luck will play a part. City have already been gifted two points at Everton by the utterly useless Tierney and Kavanagh who ruled out a definite hand ball.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext