Craig bellamy puts pen to paper - All views here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:21 pm

Forgive me if there is already a specific thread on this, i know i can remember reading plenty of opinions on Bellamy but i think they were in amongst a general strikers thread. I went to the beach today so i stocked up on a bundle of papers and just about every paper i read seems to think the transfer for Bellamy is just about nailed on. The release clause in Belamy's contract seems to pretty common knowledge in the media but it's claimed the fee rises at the begining of July so any deal would have to take place before the end of the month.

I've got mixed feelings about Bellamy. There's no doubting he is a real talent on the pitch, he's very quick, pretty skillful, is clever at finding space, beats people and can score a goal or two BUT- We all know he is reputed to be a complete ar.sehole, he can be difficult to manage and up until the moment he becomes a Liverpool player, he stands 2nd to Gary Neville in my 'players i'd most like to punch' league table.

Do you think he is worth the gamble? The 6/7 million being bandied around seems pretty reasonable and i'm gettting the impression Rafa has a lot less money in the transfer kitty than the specualtive amounts being bandied about towards the back end of the season. The idea of signing Belamy is very similar to Pennant in that both players are talented on the pitch but a handful for all the wrong reasons off of it.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kingycrouch » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:33 pm

:O
David Villa would be a great signing if possible come on benitez listen to Garcia on this one
kingycrouch

Postby Woollyback » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:35 pm

spot on scott, his talent is pretty plain to see but his temperament looks dodgy to me. we've all read the stuff in the papers about his off-the-field antics and if even half of it is true then he's evidently a bit of a c*nt. he's a bit of a big fish in a small pond at blackburn at the moment but at liverpool he'd be precisely the opposite. i wonder if playing under those circumstances might make him better (in terms of realising his place as a small cog in a big machine) or whether he'd just grow his ego even more and turn into gary neville

if we do bring him in then i've no doubt he'd score goals for us but rafa would have to make it very clear to him that any charlie big-bollox antics would have to stop and also he'll need to work very hard to get the respect of lads like carra, gerrard & hyypia

it's an interesting conundrum, i'm 70/30 in favour of bringing him in if the price is right (£6m?) but i think he's got a lot to prove in terms of attitude and maybe the step up to a proper big club could either make or break him
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:39 pm

i personally think the guy is a gob$*i*e...but if he can come here and do the business (and keep his nose clean) then i wouldn't have a problem with him coming....especially not for 6 million.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:51 pm

funny enough the Harry Kewell signing had me feeling the same way in ability at the time,only to be let down way way to often.Think of Harry at his best at Leeds (we have only had 75% of that) and Bellemy on fire both signings that really get you thinking happy attacking days ahead.mmmmmmm
but in reality ???? ???
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:08 am

drummerphil wrote:funny enough the Harry Kewell signing had me feeling the same way in ability at the time,only to be let down way way to often.Think of Harry at his best at Leeds (we have only had 75% of that) and Bellemy on fire both signings that really get you thinking happy attacking days ahead.mmmmmmm
but in reality ???? ???

but both of them are still cheaper than Cisse.... :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:23 am

Money might be the only thing that matters at a club like Chelsea but at Liverpool Football Club I would like to think the character and integrity of a player counts for something.

We have made big mistakes in the past buying the likes of Diouf and Cisse,  both expensive flops and bad for team morale. The average Liverpool fan can see straight through these types of players and thats why I sense an element of reluctance with regards to Bellamy.

I'm not at all happy with links with a player who caused mayhem at Newcastle in the short time he was there and appears to be a big fish in a small pond at blackburn.

Plus ............ he's Welsh ! :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:25 am

nowt wrong with Joey Jones       :D
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:27 am

drummerphil wrote:nowt wrong with Joey Jones       :D

:oops:  Good point

Not that i'm going to disagree with you Phil ..... Your practically untouchable on here. I think their going to Canonise you mate !  :D

St. Phil .....now theres a thought  :oops:
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:30 am

Dalglish wrote:
drummerphil wrote:nowt wrong with Joey Jones       :D

:oops:  Good point

Not that i'm going to disagree with you Phil ..... Your practically untouchable on here. I think their going to Canonise you mate !  :D

I dont think so mate,they just need people like me and you around to remind them we had a club before 1986. :laugh:  :laugh:
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:31 am

I dont want to get into the whole Cisse debate (personally I think hes just not good enough for Liverpool) but I do feel its time people stopped seeing him as an easy target. ffs he scored more goals than Bellamy. playing out of position in a team that didnt play to his strengths while coming back from a horrendous injury. He is/was a Liverpool player! I am sure he didnt want to be a failure and if people think his attitude stinks just wait till Bellamy gets here. As for Bellamy I think that at £6million he is worth the risk but like most, I am more worried about the affect he will have on team moral than his obvious talent. My other concern with Bellamy is hes yet to prove he can do it against the big sides and on the big stage ,as I cant remember him scoring many goals in big games? Perhaps someone can help me out on this one.
account deleted by request

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:34 am

drummerphil wrote:Not that i'm going to disagree with you Phil ..... Your practically untouchable on here. I think their going to Canonise you mate !  :D

I dont think so mate,they just need people like me and you around to remind them we had a club before 1986. :laugh:  :laugh:[/quote]
Did we ?  :Oo:

Ohhh yes, it's all coming back to me ......86 Double winners, 84 European Cup , 5 Years Milk Cup winners, 81 European cup Winners, 78 , 77 ......

I'm going to have to go and lie down !  :wwww 

I spent most of my time back then lapping up the success instead of on here trying to fathom out why we ain't won the title for 16 years ! :sniffle
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:43 am

s@int wrote:I dont want to get into the whole Cisse debate (personally I think hes just not good enough for Liverpool) but I do feel its time people stopped seeing him as an easy target. ffs he scored more goals than Bellamy. playing out of position in a team that didnt play to his strengths while coming back from a horrendous injury. He is/was a Liverpool player! I am sure he didnt want to be a failure and if people think his attitude stinks just wait till Bellamy gets here. As for Bellamy I think that at £6million he is worth the risk but like most, I am more worried about the affect he will have on team moral than his obvious talent. My other concern with Bellamy is hes yet to prove he can do it against the big sides and on the big stage ,as I cant remember him scoring many goals in big games? Perhaps someone can help me out on this one.

Spot on re.Bellamy comments but got to disagree on the Cisse comments about us giving him a hard time  ???

Cisse (Broken Leg or not) is a difficult player in terms of team ethics and coaching.......

Bellamy is a "NO WAY" for me not based on the previous troubles we have had with the likes of Cisse and Diouf but because Bellamy has shown he is a loose cannon both for Wales and at club level.   :Oo:
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:10 am

Its all if with Bellamy, If he is managed and fits in he could be a great buy but its a big If.  No debate on Rafas management skill as its inveriably a Bellamy issue. 

From what Ive heard he is very disruptive and has been so for years.  But and this is a but, he has always wanted the big time and could therefore be a great buy but again my gut instinct is even if it all goes smooth we might have two good seasons before he is offloaded,  is the £6 million worth that assuming the resale is there or higher and the potential for disruption.

A wimp out but Im undecided as he could be a great buy and Rafa knows what he's doing and doesnt seem the type to take nonsense but because its him I cant help but have doubts over his behaviour
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:43 am

im quite suprised people are only mentioning his attitutude as a reason not to sign him. How about the fact that he is not good enough to play for this club aswell. Granted he had a good season last season, but he has never been prolific, and in my mind he is just another overated pace player, we need an out and out goalscorer, can you see Craig Bellamy firing us to premiership glory next season? coz i cant.

Oh yeah he's a complete and utter c*** aswell :laugh:
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion