Will life be that bad without gerrard? - Could it be a blessing in disguise?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby roberto green » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:14 pm

The day will come sooner or later when our best player will leave for another club or retire.I think we are right to worry about that day,  but I generally think we needn't worry as much as we do.

Gerrard is the man everyone looks to, the heartbeat of the team and when things are down everyone looks to him, but this could well be our weakness because instead of the team trying to sort it out as a team when things are going wrong they look towards one man and that is Gerrard, so what I'm saying is if there is no Iconic player in the team who is so head and shoulders above the rest it may enable them to think for themselves and not look towards one player to get them out of trouble.

For example in my work, my manager tries to get the best out of his staff but there is some lazy ba$t@rds who hide and don't put in 100% in and then there's the long serving workers who are in there comfort zone who don't like any change. Then there is 1 or 2 of his key workers(1 is me of course  :D ) and it is the 1 or 2 workers that everyone knows will put there shift in and do more than what they should but its when the key workers are off(on holiday/sick) that you will see the standards drop,  but of course it won't be long before the rest of the team would have to raise there game (otherwise they would be out of a job) and if there was certain position or skills they didn't have much experience of they would have to bridge them.

So I personally think it could well be a blessing in disguise when Gerrard goes because it would open up our team and it would give everyone that bit much more responsibility and room to grow, I know a lot dread Gerrard going but I honestly don't as I think it could well be a blessing in disguise.
roberto green

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:17 pm

No team's bigger than the club. but there are a lot of big IFS

IF he wants to go we should let him
IF he is causing unrest in the team he has to go
IF we get abig enough fee for him lets do it but only
IF we are allowed to spend all of the money on buying new players
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:06 pm

Well he has just recently said that he doesnt want to leave, and that there isnt unrest in the dressing room.

He is nearly 30 now, I would like him to finish his career playing for us. But if a massive offer from a team like real madrid came in for say £35 + Million then I might consider it since his days are numbered.

If he left for that sort of fee I think our team might benefit. But the team wouldnt be the same without him, he is one of those players that can win matches by himself.. and those players can be hard to find :D

So yeh, we should keep him untill he retires or his legs fall off
Fauxy

Postby bigmick » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Well life won't be much worse without him than with him if we take this season as a bench mark I shouldn't think. We were out of the league after 10 matches, out of the FA Cup after being beaten at Home, out of the Carling Cup at the first time of asking, out of the Champions League at the group stages and are barely able to get ahead of Birmingham in the Premiership. I don't think we could do much worse choose whoever we sell.

That said, if we want to do better than we are, we need to keep the bits about our set up which we know are good, and change the bits that are woefully underperforming. As such, we should keep Gerrard. It staggers me that people who invariably ask "but who else is there" whenever someone talks about the manager, will cast aside one of the best players we've ever had (if not THE best) without a second thought. If we can find another player who digs us out of the sh!t as often as Gerrard does, then I'd think about it. As it is, my suspicion is any money we got for him would be spent on less able players.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:24 pm

woefully underperformed.....but you will only see what you want to see....or able too, on TV

It's not down to 1 man who digs us out the sh.it...team effort and a few others have contributed similar moments
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:48 pm

The problem with Gerrard, is that is absolutely rare to see him a blip, and when he eventually has one, you notice it of course.

Honestly it's difficult to remember blips in his game these 5 years. When other quality players had their worse moments of form, I defended them because quality prevails at the end.

Same happens with Gerrard, even at his worst he can change a game.

What's happening here is that we had the first blip in Gerrard's game in ages. Nothing more. You don't want to get rid of your best player. Never a blessing in disguise IMHO.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yolz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:08 pm

I don't really think too many players can be accused of taking it easy, relying on SG to trump over all obstacles
If you're not putting in your best, you're probably not going to feature long in Rafa's plans
Every player has his in form days and blips, yet with SG, you sense that he is one of the few " i rather play him half fit than anyone else" players
While no single player can be bigger than than the club, a club does need a talisman
Someone who everyone else can rally to, form the pivot of the team, have the team built around with
SG has proven time and time again that he is that man, and we would be daft to sell him
Last edited by yolz on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only True Reds in england...........
yolz

Postby stmichael » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:16 pm

Oh God not another Gerrard "should I stay or should I go" thread. It's like going back five years. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:19 pm

roberto green wrote:The day will come sooner or later when our best player will leave for another club or retire.I think we are right to worry about that day,  but I generally think we needn't worry as much as we do.

Gerrard is the man everyone looks to, the heartbeat of the team and when things are down everyone looks to him, but this could well be our weakness because instead of the team trying to sort it out as a team when things are going wrong they look towards one man and that is Gerrard, so what I'm saying is if there is no Iconic player in the team who is so head and shoulders above the rest it may enable them to think for themselves and not look towards one player to get them out of trouble.

For example in my work, my manager tries to get the best out of his staff but there is some lazy ba$t@rds who hide and don't put in 100% in and then there's the long serving workers who are in there comfort zone who don't like any change. Then there is 1 or 2 of his key workers(1 is me of course  :D ) and it is the 1 or 2 workers that everyone knows will put there shift in and do more than what they should but its when the key workers are off(on holiday/sick) that you will see the standards drop,  but of course it won't be long before the rest of the team would have to raise there game (otherwise they would be out of a job) and if there was certain position or skills they didn't have much experience of they would have to bridge them.

So I personally think it could well be a blessing in disguise when Gerrard goes because it would open up our team and it would give everyone that bit much more responsibility and room to grow, I know a lot dread Gerrard going but I honestly don't as I think it could well be a blessing in disguise.

simple feck off the lazy workers that are hiding behind the good ones  ???
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby roberto green » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:33 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:simple feck off the lazy workers that are hiding behind the good ones  ???

The big boss is cost cutting though???

???
roberto green

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:54 pm

roberto green wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:simple feck off the lazy workers that are hiding behind the good ones  ???

The big boss is cost cutting though???

???

What would happen if we sold Gerrard is that we would just buy an inferior replacement, as well how could we afford to get a player anywhere near his level ?
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Emerald Red » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:46 pm

Where the f*cks this sh*t coming from? Gerrard's going nowhere for a few years yet. And when he does go, it'll be to retirement.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:08 pm

If we sold Gerrard, we'd be Middlesbourgh...with a good striker.

I can't believe there are people who are comfortable with the potential loss of one of the two real world class outfielders in the team. It's staggering.
tonyeh

Postby Greavesie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:10 pm

Emerald Red wrote:Where the f*cks this sh*t coming from? Gerrard's going nowhere for a few years yet. And when he does go, it'll be to retirement.

This
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Owzat » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:14 am

tonyeh wrote:I can't believe there are people who are comfortable with the potential loss of one of the two real world class outfielders in the team. It's staggering.

I can't believe people wouldn't even consider it, or discuss it without being so dismissive 'out of hand'. I look at the comments he "digs us out of the shit with incredulation, it's said as if he does it week in, week out, when he's done it maybe a handful of times in the past season or two. No player is bigger than the club, if his sale brings massive funds in to further the club then so be it. He's given us a good 10+ years service, some good times, but I think whichever aussie it was who said we'd (England) never win the Ashes with players who were used to failure in the team. I can see where he is coming from, shame too few LFC fans have open minds and can think beyond their emotions

He's near 30 and we won't get the same kind of £££ for him in just a few year's time. It's naive to believe he is the be all and end all, that we couldn't spend the (say) £50m we could get for him and buy TWO World Class players, not that that is a Rafa strength. And that isn't even considering that he might himself be considering moving, he can't surely want to end his career with a few cups, even if one is THE big cup, and zero league titles. Sure past players like Le Tosser have stuck to their guns playing for one club, it is though very rare and even more so for supposedly "great players" to stay at one club when it isn't winning trophies most seasons ie that's why Scholes, Giggs and the moron stay at u's*i*e'd
Last edited by Owzat on Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion