Xabi sent off last night - Blessing in disguise?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Well Red » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:41 am

Right, there aren't many topics to discuss over an international break, however one thing of interest was that Xabi got sent off last night for Spain against Iceland. It happened after about half an hour and was for what appeared to be a stamp... straight red to boot.

Now, as much as I don't condone this behaviour in any way - I'll be as disappointed as anyone if I find out that he did stamp on the Iceland player - could it be that this is a blessing in disguise for us? People say we have strength in depth and whilst I agree with that, Alonso is still one of the first names on the team sheet if he is sully fit as far as I'm concerned. This suspension which he'll serve (presumably for three Int'l matches) means he'll probably be returning to Melwood today and be 100% fit for the next game away to Pompey, as well as not travelling out during the next international break!

call me cynical, or call me a diehard Kopite - but this suits us!

/discuss  :kungfu:

PS. if anyone can find a video of the "stamp" anywhere out there, then please post a link!
Last edited by Well Red on Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
THERE WILL BE LIFE AFTER TORRES:

Well Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:03 am

Well I can see no disadvantages on this for Liverpool, and it's indeed good for the club. This is only bad for the player

Alonso might be punnished by Aragones for this, and this will make Alonso trying harder to come back to the national squad, so it really doesn't affect negatively the club.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Well Red » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:04 am

I'm guessing you saw the match Sabre. Was it a stamp? :(
THERE WILL BE LIFE AFTER TORRES:

Well Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:14 am

Yes it was, he can't be too proud about that but this things happen from time to time in football.

I wanted to add that in the big picture, I consider good for Liverpool to have internationals. Just because he is international, Alonso has more value in the market, which ultimately is good for the club.
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:09 pm

Unacceptable regardless of how you look at it really…
Would have been fuming if he had done that in a Liverpool game…
He most definitely will find it difficult to get back in that Spanish starting 11 now with players like Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Albelda, Guti, Baraja, Senna, and even De la pena all pushing for a spot in the central midfield position…. Wouldn’t blame aragones if he throws xabi out of the squad really… cant say he doesn’t have adequate cover !
As for Liverpool… iv said it before and ill say it again… mascherano ahead of xabi any day of the week… brilliant passer and talented player but still think mascherano is the better player of the two…
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:45 pm

aCe' wrote:Unacceptable regardless of how you look at it really…
He most definitely will find it difficult to get back in that Spanish starting 11 now with players like Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Albelda, Guti, Baraja, Senna, and even De la pena all pushing for a spot in the central midfield position…. Wouldn’t blame aragones if he throws xabi out of the squad really… cant say he doesn’t have adequate cover !
As for Liverpool… iv said it before and ill say it again… mascherano ahead of xabi any day of the week… brilliant passer and talented player but still think mascherano is the better player of the two…

And I still think you're an idiot.  :)

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:59 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:

hah...
well you know best .
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:29 pm

:D

I don't know how Iniesta, Fabregas can be compared as midfielders as their role is totally different.

Albelda is the man that competes with Xavi and he's already 30. Alonso will be punished as in he might not start in the starting eleven the next games, but De la Peña? Senna? do you live in the past?  :)
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:52 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:

:laugh:
LFC2007

Postby RedBlood » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:15 pm

i hope he gets banned and stays fresh and fit for us :D
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:36 pm

Sabre wrote:

:D

I don't know how Iniesta, Fabregas can be compared as midfielders as their role is totally different.

Albelda is the man that competes with Xavi and he's already 30. Alonso will be punished as in he might not start in the starting eleven the next games, but De la Peña? Senna? do you live in the past?  :)

well look at it however it is you want to...
but with 2 forwards and 4 defenders you have 4 midfielders... atleast one of them a winger (joaquin, silva...etc) other positions can be filld up with one of Albelda (aragones fav.) Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta, Guti or Xabi... and thats if Silva(vicente) isnt playing.
de la pena is a brilliant footballer ud think u being a spaniard ud notice if it wasnt for his recent injury id expect him to have been in the squad after having a brilliant season last year..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:53 pm

well look at it however it is you want to...
but with 2 forwards and 4 defenders you have 4 midfielders... atleast one of them a winger (joaquin, silva...etc) other positions can be filld up with one of Albelda (aragones fav.) Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta, Guti or Xabi... and thats if Silva(vicente) isnt playing.

No  manager would play 2 strikers, an attacking player like Silva, and then combinations of players like Iniesta-Guti-Xavi or Joaquin. You have to recover balls and you need some strenght in real football, so I foresee a bright future for Xabi no matter how much you want to underrate our player. The real competition is among the playes that have an attacking profile and that's why men like Arteta still haven't got a chance to play a friendly for Spain.

Albelda is the only player who's an alternative to Alonso right now. He's tough tackling and has experience and he has been Aragones' right hand many years, not only in the international stage. Even so, Aragones has played Alonso quite much in the world cup and other games, and he's being alternating the two players depending on the game. Under any other coach, I think Alonso would be first choice as far as I can hear to football men here.

de la pena is a brilliant footballer ud think u being a spaniard ud notice if it wasnt for his recent injury id expect him to have been in the squad after having a brilliant season last year..

De la Peña is a well known player. As well known as known since 1991 or something when he started to appear in the lower spanish international squad. Way before he became famous after a promising start in his home club Barcelona. Small defensive work, accurate last and deep passes when he has the day, unnoticed many weeks in tough games. He has quality, but he has a hell to make it back to the spanish squad for the same reasons Arteta's never got a chance. Fabregas, Iniesta, and Xabi are on front of him for that role, and the latter might have some troubles to make it into the team in the near future, I reckon.

Football is more than a dribling or a last pass, you also need complete footballers, in which things like height, strength and positioning are important and that's why Alonso will make it to the national squad, and that's why Alonso is playing in Liverpool and De la Peña in R.C.D. Espanyol. Says it all really. To complement this mentioned important attributes Alonso has a good long ball and range efforts, and is a good free-kick and corner taker, so I think his CV is quite complete to make it in almost any squad.
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:55 pm

Xabi needed to add a nasty streak to he's game. He is way to nice, start crunching into players from now on. Show we can play pretty football but if need be we can bruise are way to a scrappy win aswell.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:58 pm

aCe' wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:

hah...
well you know best .

Correct.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MightyLFC » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:58 pm

Yes he is to nice
MightyLFC

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion