Xabi sent off last night - Blessing in disguise?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:09 am

stmichael wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:Alonso should be the backbone of their midfield IMO, ahead of him it depends - Xavi or Fabregas perhaps, or both. I'm not sure how they line up.

Well last night Fabregas didn't even make it off the bench for Spain which was ludicrous. Fabregas is quality.

Aragones also dropped Raul from the squad completely despite the fact that he led Real to the title last year and has been on fire at the start of this season.

Like I said, I don't know how Aragones is still in a job.

How did they line up and what was the formation? - I didn't see the match.
LFC2007

Postby Sabre » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:17 am

1 - España: Iker Casillas; Sergio Ramos, Marchena, Juanito, Pernía (Albelda, m.26); Joaquín (Luis García, m.68), Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Silva; Torres (Iniesta, m.57) y Villa.

As soon as Xabi was sent off, Albelda made it to the pitch. Aragones removed a LB and told Silva to cover all the wing, Albelda watching his back.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:37 am

Even that side should be able to beat Iceland comprehensively.

I guess Puyol is key to Spain as I don't know too much about Juanito/Juanito/Marchena/Ibanez?.

Raul should at least be in the squad, ahead of the other Luis Garcia and Miguel Angulo.
LFC2007

Postby maguskwt » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:08 am

Sabre wrote:In this highlights you can see for yourselves.

In the images you can't see for sure what was going on there, but you can suspect there was something nasty at the end. Xabi didn't protest a whole lot.

well... after looking at the highlight i don't really blame Alonso... I'm not approving of what he did but these kinda things happen all the time...

you can see that the iceland player clamped alonso's foot with both his legs as he was going down, after he's tackled him, presumibly to take alsonso down also, that itself is quite dangerous as you can snap your ankle there...

so out of fustration after he's managed to free the foot he landed on him on that foot... it's a bit of nastiness and retaliation but the iceland player wasn't too innocent either... there are alot more worse stamps than this...

problem is I sometimes think that referees are dumb and never see what the player that goes down can try to do... they would try to take the other player down all the time...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:28 am

Alonso14 wrote:Xabi needed to add a nasty streak to he's game. He is way to nice, start crunching into players from now on. Show we can play pretty football but if need be we can bruise are way to a scrappy win aswell.

ah man to that.....  :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:39 pm

maguskwt wrote:

In the images you can't see for sure what was going on there, but you can suspect there was something nasty at the end. Xabi didn't protest a whole lot.

well... after looking at the highlight i don't really blame Alonso... I'm not approving of what he did but these kinda things happen all the time...

you can see that the iceland player clamped alonso's foot with both his legs as he was going down, after he's tackled him, presumibly to take alsonso down also, that itself is quite dangerous as you can snap your ankle there...

so out of fustration after he's managed to free the foot he landed on him on that foot... it's a bit of nastiness and retaliation but the iceland player wasn't too innocent either... there are alot more worse stamps than this...

problem is I sometimes think that referees are dumb and never see what the player that goes down can try to do... they would try to take the other player down all the time...

lol it was 50/50
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:54 pm

Stupid challenge that let his team mates down, lets hope he doesnt do anything as daft in a Liverpool shirt.
That now leaves Spain in a very precarious position.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:18 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Stupid challenge that let his team mates down, lets hope he doesnt do anything as daft in a Liverpool shirt.
That now leaves Spain in a very precarious position.

I agree the first line. About the second, I don't think the situation is precarious, Spain has qualified second as of late due to their lazyness and this time won't be an exception.

They depend on theirselves, and they have Northern Ireland at home. Poor Northern Ireland will be the classic Austria that comes to Spain when  the Spaniards are in the mood and will be spanked 4-0 or something. Same old story, but I don't think they'll have troubles to qualify.

The important thing though is that Alonso learns the lesson and learns to control the himself next time.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:50 pm

I also expect Spain to qualify but like England they are in a very difficult position at the moment.
Latvia (home)
Denmark (away)
Sweden (home)
Northern Ireland (home)

Not easy fixtures at all either. They should take runners up spot in the group but i wouldnt call it a banker like.
Also these play offs might end up rather tasty looking at the groups at the moment

Group A) Portugal are third and will probably be runners up behind Poland
Group B) Runners up could be either world champions Italy, or runners up France
Group C) Greece, Turkey or Norway
Group D)Czech Republic, Republic of Ireland
Group E) England Russia, Croatia
Group G) Romania Holland or Bulgaria

Even with seedings it will not be easy imo.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:09 pm

I was of the impression, that there aren't going to be any playoffs, and that the top two of each group will qualify for the european championships ???  That would then be 14 teams plus Austria and Switzerland thus making it 16 teams all in all. But feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong. Oh, and I believe Spain will still have quite a tough time qualifying, but I guess we'll have to wait and see :)
JamCar05

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:29 pm

JamCar05 wrote:I was of the impression, that there aren't going to be any playoffs, and that the top two of each group will qualify for the european championships ???  That would then be 14 teams plus Austria and Switzerland thus making it 16 teams all in all. But feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong. Oh, and I believe Spain will still have quite a tough time qualifying, but I guess we'll have to wait and see :)

It appears you are right mate, just had a quick look on wikipedia (the site that never gets stuff wrong  :D )

The qualifying process started in August 2006. Austria and Switzerland have already qualified for the tournament finals as host nations.

The qualifying format has been changed compared to the previous tournament. The winners and runners-up from seven groups will automatically qualify for the Championship, with the hosts filling the other two slots in the 16-team tournament. The move means there will no longer be play-offs between teams finishing in second place in the groups. Six of the qualifying groups will contain seven teams, and the other eight.

So based on that Spain should be ok, provided they dont lose against Denmark away.
It makes the Russia games even bigger fro England as well.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:59 pm

If it's on Wikipedia it is most certainly true :D  What do you think of this new style? I think I find it better than the play-off style, as in this way you get the most consistently good teams through, and it also makes the groups more interesting, as there seem to be fewer groups and thus more good teams and exciting clashes within each group. On the other hand you could say, that some teams are able to take their foot off the pedal a bit earlier during the group stages, seeing as it doesn't really matter if you end up first or second (maybe it gives you some kind of advantage for the next qualifying tournament, but who is thinking that far ahead anyway :laugh: )
JamCar05

Postby Sabre » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:08 pm

I liked more the old system, back in 1984 when only the 8 best played the tournament. Huge qualifying groups, with games involving Andorra and Liethstwhatever, is a waste of time. This kind of games, plus the more games the champions league brings compared to the old Champions cup, crowd the agendas of the players. (and that's why rotation is a good idea :D )

I think Spain will qualify as always, and honestly if they don't, I won't care, because if they're not able to beat those teams that are vastly inferior technically, then they don't deserve to play the best ones. Not the best Dannish, and Swedish squads I've seen --we've met them before over the years, so Spain simply has to do better.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:32 pm

i agree about the qualifiers they are a joke and a waste of a lot of nations time.
To be fair though the tournament itself can easiy produce 16 very decent quality nations. Infact the european nations appear to be getting stronger imo.
Look at this list.
1.England
2. Spain
3. Portugal
4. France
5. Italy
6. Germany
7. Holland
8. Sweden
9. Romania
10. Czech Republic
11. Russia
12 Croatia
13. rep of Ireland
14.Denmark
15. Turkey
16. Poland

In a major tournament every one of them would be tough and thats missing out the likes of Ukraine Belgium and Norway who would give most teams a game.
I think the top 2 going through automatically is the fairest way, the playoffs were often seeded werent they anyway ? Allowing the major or supposedly better nations an easier draw.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:13 pm

As for Xavi, not that I have seen him in DM role often. He does come very deep to start plays, but as a true defensive midfielder he's too light in his tackle, he's not a big guy, and he's not  strong. He can't receive long balls from the opposition defence and head them and details like that. Players like Xavi and Iniesta (or Ivan DLP at other level) have to be complemented with stronger and more defensive midfielders like Alonso, Senna or Albelda.

Barcelona has lots of quality attack wise, Iniesta, Ronaldinho, Messi, Xavi... this year they've tried to complement that with some defensive power, as Motta wasn't good enough for that role. They tried to sign up Alonso for that but they signed Yaya Touré in the end

You can see what happens when they don't do that. The Barcelona away game was a good example of what happened when Barcelona removed their most deffensive mid in that stage of the game they went mad after we scored the first time. They  subbed Motta and left only attacking and creative mids in the pitch. They became sitting ducks for a structured team like Liverpool.

Like I said, I don't know how Aragones is still in a job.

Neither do I. He's stubborn in a senile way.

Sorry lad, but if that was a sending off, then my name is f*cking Rolf Harris. :no If anything, it was a foul on Xabi!

All this stick and sh*t over that!?!

B*llocks. People need to give their f*cking heads a shake. :no
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion