Will life be that bad without gerrard? - Could it be a blessing in disguise?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ben Patrick » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:26 am

Owzat wrote:
tonyeh wrote:I can't believe there are people who are comfortable with the potential loss of one of the two real world class outfielders in the team. It's staggering.

I can't believe people wouldn't even consider it, or discuss it without being so dismissive 'out of hand'. I look at the comments he "digs us out of the shit with incredulation, it's said as if he does it week in, week out, when he's done it maybe a handful of times in the past season or two. No player is bigger than the club, if his sale brings massive funds in to further the club then so be it. He's given us a good 10+ years service, some good times, but I think whichever aussie it was who said we'd (England) never win the Ashes with players who were used to failure in the team. I can see where he is coming from, shame too few LFC fans have open minds and can think beyond their emotions

He's near 30 and we won't get the same kind of £££ for him in just a few year's time. It's naive to believe he is the be all and end all, that we couldn't spend the (say) £50m we could get for him and buy TWO World Class players, not that that is a Rafa strength. And that isn't even considering that he might himself be considering moving, he can't surely want to end his career with a few cups, even if one is THE big cup, and zero league titles. Sure past players like Le Tosser have stuck to their guns playing for one club, it is though very rare and even more so for supposedly "great players" to stay at one club when it isn't winning trophies most seasons ie that's why Scholes, Giggs and the moron stay at u's*i*e'd

:no

He was on player of the year last season.

Short short memories some people.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Sir Roger » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:41 am

Ben Patrick wrote:
Owzat wrote:
tonyeh wrote:I can't believe there are people who are comfortable with the potential loss of one of the two real world class outfielders in the team. It's staggering.

I can't believe people wouldn't even consider it, or discuss it without being so dismissive 'out of hand'. I look at the comments he "digs us out of the shit with incredulation, it's said as if he does it week in, week out, when he's done it maybe a handful of times in the past season or two. No player is bigger than the club, if his sale brings massive funds in to further the club then so be it. He's given us a good 10+ years service, some good times, but I think whichever aussie it was who said we'd (England) never win the Ashes with players who were used to failure in the team. I can see where he is coming from, shame too few LFC fans have open minds and can think beyond their emotions

He's near 30 and we won't get the same kind of £££ for him in just a few year's time. It's naive to believe he is the be all and end all, that we couldn't spend the (say) £50m we could get for him and buy TWO World Class players, not that that is a Rafa strength. And that isn't even considering that he might himself be considering moving, he can't surely want to end his career with a few cups, even if one is THE big cup, and zero league titles. Sure past players like Le Tosser have stuck to their guns playing for one club, it is though very rare and even more so for supposedly "great players" to stay at one club when it isn't winning trophies most seasons ie that's why Scholes, Giggs and the moron stay at u's*i*e'd

:no

He was on player of the year last season.

Short short memories some people.

Its only a discussion.
I believe hes going nowhere. But I am disturbed when he seems like hes not arsed. He should start appreciating his standing in the club and respect the fact that he is idolised by the fans. He should stop being selfish and feeling sorry for himself and use the rest of the season to justify his position as Captain of LFC.
He is privileged to play for us and has to show it in his performances
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:54 am

Sir Roger wrote:Its only a discussion.
I believe hes going nowhere. But I am disturbed when he seems like hes not arsed. He should start appreciating his standing in the club and respect the fact that he is idolised by the fans. He should stop being selfish and feeling sorry for himself and use the rest of the season to justify his position as Captain of LFC.
He is privileged to play for us and has to show it in his performances

I didnt say it wasnt only a discussion but when someone says that he has only done it a handful of times in the last season or two - when last year he won player of the year and was the best player in the leage. Well that to me is ridiculous.

As far as i am aware he has been playing with injuries this season.
Yes he might look p!ssed off and his body language could be better but the lads put himself on the line for the club and the fans imo.

Us fans talk about players being disloyal so much, yet we have a player thats given us everything for over 10 years and the first sign of him struggling we talk about cashing in.

I think thats just as disloyal.
Ben Patrick

Postby Sir Roger » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:13 pm

I didnt say he was disloyal.
I said he was being selfish and feeling sorry for himself.
He needs to grow up and take responsibility for his own performances and remind himself of how lucky he is to be paid as much as he is by LFC and how lucky he is to be playing for us never mind captaining the team
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:27 pm

Sir Roger wrote:I didnt say he was disloyal.
He needs to grow up and take responsibility for his own performances and remind himself of how lucky he is to be paid as much as he is by LFC and how lucky he is to be playing for us never mind captaining the team

How do you know what he feels though ?

You are basing this on his body language and performances this season ?
Totally disregarding the fact that he has been playing when clearly not fit and in a poor side also.

My personal opinion is that he deserves a bit more respect after what he has done for us over such a period of time as well.
Ben Patrick

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:29 pm

how dare you give your opinion on a football forum :angry:

we all have different opinions, they're like a$$holes or something
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:45 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:I didnt say he was disloyal.

How do you know what he feels though ?

You are basing this on his body language and performances this season ?
Totally disregarding the fact that he has been playing when clearly not fit and in a poor side also.

My personal opinion is that he deserves a bit more respect after what he has done for us over such a period of time as well.

I dont think its disrespectful criticising someones performance and body language no matter who they are. He has been a significant part of a poor side and not just playing alongside poor players.
He is not above criticism just because of what he has done in the past. It is one thing acknowledging and appreciating his achievements but that does not give him cart blanche to shirk his responsibilities.
I  stress again he is lucky to be playing for us never mind being Captain
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:22 pm

My posts havent been aimed at you, they are aimed at people that have said selling him could be a good idea and dismissing his form over the last couple of seasons.
Any player is lucky to be playing for a great club like ours and earning wages like they do.

Having said that we are also just as lucky to have one of the best players in the world in our side.
Ben Patrick

Postby tonyeh » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:54 pm

Owzat wrote:

I can't believe people wouldn't even consider it, or discuss it without being so dismissive 'out of hand'.

When I look at the team, it's easy to dismiss it out of hand as madness.

BTW, I have no problem in general with the selling of any player. No "emotions" getting in the way there. But only when it would make sense to do so and selling Gerrard, when the rest of the team (bar Pepe and Jamie) runs the gammut of below average to above average, to me would be a disaster.

if we could spare Gerrard, it migh be worth looking into. But, we can't...so it's not.
tonyeh

Postby sivapc » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:26 am

won't be bad..

we still THE ENGINE, Lucas.
sivapc

Postby Sir Roger » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:47 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:My posts havent been aimed at you, they are aimed at people that have said selling him could be a good idea and dismissing his form over the last couple of seasons.
Any player is lucky to be playing for a great club like ours and earning wages like they do.

Having said that we are also just as lucky to have one of the best players in the world in our side.

Im not saying we arent lucky to have him
He is a great player when he tries
Im saying he is honoured to be picked play for us as is ANY player who pulls on that red jersey
Every single one of them, especially the captain are the luckiest footballers on the planet in my opinion
:nod
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:01 pm

Sir Roger wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:My posts havent been aimed at you, they are aimed at people that have said selling him could be a good idea and dismissing his form over the last couple of seasons.

Im saying he is honoured to be picked play for us as is ANY player who pulls on that red jersey
Every single one of them, especially the captain are the luckiest footballers on the planet in my opinion

So we agree that the players are lucky.

We just dont agree if you would advocate selling him.
Ben Patrick

Postby Sir Roger » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:25 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:

So we agree that the players are lucky.

Everything is for sale...
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:29 pm

Not for me its not.

I dont think you should sell your best players even when silly money is being offered.

I wouldnt have sold Alonso either, despite how much they paid.
Ben Patrick

Postby Sir Roger » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:31 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:So we agree that the players are lucky.

Everything is for sale...

Not for me its not.

I dont think you should sell your best players even when silly money is being offered.

I wouldnt have sold Alonso either, despite how much they paid.[/quote]
I agree 100%
Unfortunately in the real world everything has its price
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion