CHRISTIAN BENTEKE - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:06 pm

It's not looking good. Think Klopp will do his best to get the most out of him, but can see him being moved on in the summer for a massive loss.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:05 pm

I don't get it... I watched the game but why are you guys saying the kids ignored him?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:08 pm

Starting to revise my opinion of this fella.

As a striker I still think he's got loads of of natural ability unfortunately there's no brain attached to it.

Used to think that maybe we weren't playing to his strengths to get the best out of him but  I'm now thinking even when we've looked to do that his decision making on where to stand and when to run has been less than poor.

Surprised to see Klopp speaking positively about him in the Exeter post match interview, maybe that's just trying to give Benteke some confidence and keep his price up but increasingly unless he massively up's his game I don't see a future for him with us.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:08 pm

maguskwt wrote:I don't get it... I watched the game but why are you guys saying the kids ignored him?

There were at least ten occasions when Benteke was in the box waiting for a cross that never came. He was also in various positions asking for the ball and not receiving it.
He was a passenger and a let down in a game where he should have dominated and destroyed
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby the return of HAS » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:43 pm

Villa hardly ever got a good result unless Benteke scored because they based their game plan around his strengths. Good teams tend not to play to one player's strength and can get results without their striker scoring. We are not Aston Villa and nor do we want to be.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:20 pm

Thommo's perm

Postby parchpea » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:33 pm

He turned up for Villa in the last 15 games of a season and couldnt be arsed rest of the time.

Afraid he was probably a large part of Rodgers dossier which will now be in the bin much like Bentekes Liverpool career this summer.

Never the right player but a very typical Liverpool purchase, so much waste its embarrasing.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby the return of HAS » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:02 pm

parchpea » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:33 pm wrote:He turned up for Villa in the last 15 games of a season and couldnt be arsed rest of the time.

Afraid he was probably a large part of Rodgers dossier which will now be in the bin much like Bentekes Liverpool career this summer.

Never the right player but a very typical Liverpool purchase, so much waste its embarrasing.

It’s nothing to do with not being arsed. You can tell by his body language that just he isn’t a naturally confident player. So when things don’t go his way he just gets worse and now he’s a club where the scrutiny is much worse and he’s struggling to cope with that. He can’t handle the pressure right now.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the return of HAS » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:11 pm

Thommo's perm » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:20 pm wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brian-reade-column-liverpool-bigger-7213161
True dat
:nod

I don’t know why Brian Reade is lumping all those midfielders together.

It’s not the responsibility of the 2 CM’s to score goals, it's the 4 in front of them. Busquets and Xavi don’t score many goals, Modric and Kroos don’t score many goals, Bender and Gundogan didn’t score many goals for Klopp at Dortmund.

Klopp is struggling to find combinations in front of the CM’s that work well. The players simply don’t blend together.
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:04 am

was subbed in after origi, that tells you how much klopp rates him.
75% chance will be sold in the summer.
that also show how ridiculous it is for br to sign him for 32m p.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:28 am

I do feel sorry for him. He is trying and is clearly lacking confidence rather than a motivation or ego issue. It is not his fault that he cost 32 million but naturally everyone will judge him on that. He was scoring a goal every two matches which is a very good average but surely it was obvious that he was going to struggle with the Liverpool way of playing ( except the Dalglish second stint). Cannot really understand how Rodgers thought he could when all of us knew it would be a struggle. I don't blame Benteke for coming here and making a fist of it, I blame the idiots that bought him. An over priced average player that we inherited thanks to the last manager, one of many.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:32 am

Ok but what do we do now that we have him, cut our losses, sell him to West Ham and watch him score 25 goals there next season or keep him hoping he'll get over his demons. There's a lot of money at stake.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:14 am

Reg » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:32 am wrote:Ok but what do we do now that we have him, cut our losses, sell him to West Ham and watch him score 25 goals there next season or keep him hoping he'll get over his demons. There's a lot of money at stake.

I think you can only go so far building a team around Benteke as he is a little one dimensional. His goals to games ratio before coming to us is excellent so he is clearly a good player but he needs too many pieces to compliment him and his game. He had to reinvent himself to change to our system and it seems he has been unsuccessful so far. He may be a monster in China so maybe that option turns up.

What confuses me is he is not even a Rodgers style player. I saw Rodgers talking about him and he said that he bought him because he was a proven goal scorer. There was nothing wrong with that because it is true but I could not believe that he could not see it wouldn't fit especially if he wanted teams to press! one player not pressing in that system and the whole thing crumbles and it is annoying as hell to the other players. Benteke was never going to be that player, more so now with Klopp. We need to cut our losses and just pray he has a good tournament over the summer that drives his price up for the Chinese.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:26 am

This talk of Benteke's confidence is pure lack of belief and wasteful frustration. JK needs to consider: 

England rugby have a very similar situation, 80 minutes of gut busting activity against evenly matched, extremely good opponents. They have 2 great scrum halfs, 3-4 great second rows when only 2 play and an equal number of props and centres. Their strategy on sunday was for the team to play as physically as possible in the first half and wear the first choice Italians down knowing their second string replacements weren't equal. England made their tactical substitutions then ripped Italy a new one as an effective second team started battering them again, creating the gaps leading to tries and penalties in kickable penalties. The two scrum halfs are good enough to be full match players and thats what they want, however they've agreed in the paper that the strategy of the opening half player to be everywhere, make darting runs whenever possible to draw in their backrow and scrum half to wear them out bore results. When the equally good replacement came on with 30 minutes to go the gaps were opening which he, being fresh took advantage of etc... etc.. leading to a 9-40 point victory away from home with the last 29 England points being unanswered.

Benteke needs to grow up, he's not first choice but if they have a similar game plan that Origi makes defenders lives hell then when they're slowing down and becoming sloppy he comes on with full fitness, then similarly the gaps will open and his extra yard of pace will create goals.

If he wants to cry he has no confidence then he can feck off because clearly he's not the right kind of player for a more sophisticated game plan. The only way to beat Citeh at Wembley will be for us to keep them on the back foot from the off, which is a two stage process.
Last edited by Reg on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:17 am

Benteke sounds like a transfer committee purchase. Ask them how to best utilise the player they paid a fortune for knowing full well he won't fit Rodgers or klopps system.

Right now he looks on par with Carroll and will most likely end up in loss making deal to get rid of him in the summer.

We are all about mobility and pressing these days, surely the yanks can see that. Give us the non broken version of Sturridge and all will be forgiven.
killerp

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion