CHRISTIAN BENTEKE - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:17 am

sign him up to a friendly match in China and hope some scout spots him over there and offer us £30m for him
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:13 pm

killerp » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:17 am wrote:Benteke sounds like a transfer committee purchase. Ask them how to best utilise the player they paid a fortune for knowing full well he won't fit Rodgers or klopps system.

Right now he looks on par with Carroll and will most likely end up in loss making deal to get rid of him in the summer.

We are all about mobility and pressing these days, surely the yanks can see that. Give us the non broken version of Sturridge and all will be forgiven.

I heard Rodgers on Bein Sport say he bought Benteke as he was a proven goal scorer in the PL. If it was a committee signing then it seemed to have Rodgers' blessing.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:11 pm

I heard Rodgers on Bein Sport say he bought Benteke as he was a proven goal scorer in the PL.

PL = Polish League?   :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the return of HAS » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:04 pm

It's been well established by all the reliable sources that the Benteke signing was driven by Rodgers. That's not to say there wasn't agreement from the committee but Rodgers made him a primary target and the owners were prepared to back him by paying a big fee. This was after they weren't willing to stump up the cash/wages required to secure Bony the season before despite Rodgers making him the primary target. Too be fair to Rodgers, had we got Bony instead of Balo that season we probably would have finished a few places higher in the league.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:56 pm

If Origi is ahead of you in a cup final then its got to be the end of the road in May?
Thommo's perm

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:11 pm

Thommo's perm » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:56 pm wrote:If Origi is ahead of you in a cup final then its got to be the end of the road in May?

YES IT IS!
I think Big Ben will end up playing in Germany next season if JK can use him as a make weight for a player HE REALLY WANTS.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:13 pm

Can't complain, he was given a chance this season and largely disappointed. He's not a bad player, but not fit for our style....thanks Bodgers!
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:35 pm

I think we should ship him off to china. Pick up some decent money.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:45 pm

7_Kewell » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:13 pm wrote:Can't complain, he was given a chance this season and largely disappointed. He's not a bad player, but not fit for our style....thanks Bodgers!

Agree.  Just a case of the player and club not being suited to one another. Can't see any of the top teams in over here being interested in him. Hopefully one of the midtable clubs are prepared to spend some TV money on him because i don't see a club from abroad coughing up the money we want imo
Doeboy

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:45 pm

Doeboy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:45 pm wrote:
7_Kewell » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:13 pm wrote:Can't complain, he was given a chance this season and largely disappointed. He's not a bad player, but not fit for our style....thanks Bodgers!

Agree.  Just a case of the player and club not being suited to one another. Can't see any of the top teams in over here being interested in him. Hopefully one of the midtable clubs are prepared to spend some TV money on him because i don't see a club from abroad coughing up the money we want imo

I actually think we'll get a decent fee for him. He's still scored goals and is held in high regard by many of the clubs in the UK and across Europe. A good Euro 2016 would be more than enough to put him in the shop window.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:32 am

I like him as a player but as I said since the moment we were linked with him, good player but not a right fit for us unfortunately. I still hope things work out for him here but it's highly unlikely.

I like his attitude though. He doesn't moan (not yet anyway) and he seems like he wants to fight for his place and prove everyone that he can make it.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:45 am

Seems to get criticized at every turn by everyone. He hasnt done anything special in his sub appearances but I'm not sure you can truly judge him on that either. His style doesnt fit ours and he's better off playing elsewhere but he gets too much unwarranted criticism imo. He'll get his transfer end of the season no doubt but I would still like us to hand him a start (not in a cup game alongside the kids) in the league to see if he can bring something to the table.

In 2016, he has only started 1 in 10 league games. He was an unusd sub in all the Europa league games in 2016 except for his 5 minute introduction in the second leg against Utd. His minutes in the league and Europa starting from our last game till Jan1 are as follows: 20, 5, 10, 21, 16, 0, 24, 14, 9, 24, 90.

Given his lack of game time and the frustration he must be feeling I'd be more surprised with him proving anything to anyone than the current situation. He's managed a goal and an assist since Jan 1st in league and Europe.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:10 am

Benteke was an odd transfer from day one. Not many fans really wanted him for the price we paid. Some questions were raised about his suitability to fit our system. How would he fit in?

What do the fans know eh?

He will most likely end up haunting us from another club though! Most likely Westham who keep thrashing us every time we meet.
killerp

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:06 pm

he's not a bad player, far from it, but he's not a LFC type signing. We have never hoofed it to a target man and sadly it shows we learnt nothing from the mistake of signing Andy Carroll. At least Benteke should hold most of his fee and I'm hopeful we'll get 20-25m back as the Euros are just around the corner and Benteke will be playing a big part.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:33 pm

Probably help big Ben if we could cross the fkg ball into a target man  :(
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)