Captain

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:00 am

A captain is always an important figure in any side. Many top captains can change the tide for a team via motivation, passion and skill.

Imo i don't feel Hendo is fit for the role. His a decent player but leading the line im not convinced.
I just wonder if Klopp will stick with him next season.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:19 am

I'm always maintained Henderson has no leadership qualities, he's simply a player. Not sure who is the best candidate, we haven't had a  natural leader for years.  Our previous captains could freeze a teammates blood with a single glare - Souness, Kenny, Thommo, Tommy Smith.  Emlyn was a great leader but not as brutal as those mentioned. Surely on the training ground someone must stand out?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:13 am

I suppose Hendo is a decent captain for the modern age in the sense that he's a level headed lad who won't say anything controversial/get embroiled in any scandals off the pitch. Players these days are taught the politicians art of talking for half an hour without actually saying anything and to be fair to Hendo he's got that particular skill off down pat, sponsors won't be threatening to leave the club in their droves over anything he does or says that's for sure.
Saying that captains when fit should be pretty much guaranteed their place in the side and I'm not sure Hendo is one of the best XI players at the club.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:20 am

Been thinking about this particular topic for quite some time and whilst I agree Hendo is decent enough, he is certainly not the kind of player that will drive you on in those matches in which we are needing leadership

Cara had it, Stevie had it, Souness etc..... going back over the years all had it, but if you look through our current squad it is very difficult to pick a leader

Possible Captain's...

Sakho - Shows leadership, hard as nails, but still prone to those occasional blips

Milner - A hard worker, but not a leader

Hendo - Current captain, he has been on the slide lately and doesn't appear to have the drive required

Lallana - Captain whilst at Southampton, but shows no leadership here whatsoever

Lucas - Just no

Flanno - Has the passion and leadership, but I fear for his place long term

I honestly don't think we have a genuine leader in this current squad (maybe, just maybe Sakho) and I think JK knows this too, he probably has plans to address this in the summer, hopefully along with a top keeper, a couple of top centre midfielder's and a top winger (Markovic coming back may help)
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:54 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:13 am wrote:I suppose Hendo is a decent captain for the modern age in the sense that he's a level headed lad who won't say anything controversial/get embroiled in any scandals off the pitch. Players these days are taught the politicians art of talking for half an hour without actually saying anything and to be fair to Hendo he's got that particular skill off down pat, sponsors won't be threatening to leave the club in their droves over anything he does or says that's for sure.
Saying that captains when fit should be pretty much guaranteed their place in the side and I'm not sure Hendo is one of the best XI players at the club.

The problem is even bigger with Hendo ,as this stupid decision to give him captain gives him immunity from being benched...He is a squad player at best and his constant whining to the Refs is everything but leadership.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:43 pm

As I see it there's only 2 players who are good enough to be guaranteed a place in the starting XI when everyone is fit and that's Coutinho and Sturridge, all the other main candidates (Lucas, Skrtel, Sakho etc) are under pressure for their place in the team or in other words it's not cast in stone that any of them would be picked if a huge game came around.
Hendo's sort of got the armband by default.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:52 pm

Reg » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:19 am wrote:I'm always maintained Henderson has no leadership qualities, he's simply a player. Not sure who is the best candidate, we haven't had a  natural leader for years.  Our previous captains could freeze a teammates blood with a single glare - Souness, Kenny, Thommo, Tommy Smith.  Emlyn was a great leader but not as brutal as those mentioned. Surely on the training ground someone must stand out?

Henderson comes across as a nice guy, but he's no captain. The Balotelli thing last year proved that. Could you imagine Souness, Kenny or Thommo having the ball taken off them for a penalty?  :laugh:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:38 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:43 am wrote:As I see it there's only 2 players who are good enough to be guaranteed a place in the starting XI when everyone is fit and that's Coutinho and Sturridge, all the other main candidates (Lucas, Skrtel, Sakho etc) are under pressure for their place in the team or in other words it's not cast in stone that any of them would be picked if a huge game came around.
Hendo's sort of got the armband by default.

Of the two you consider good enough to captain us neither convince me they have the "Leadership" qualities that the Captaincy requires.

That fact that we are struggling to nominate a nailed on captain perhaps highlights why we have so often been bullied in some games this season,  i.e. A lack of Leadership, a player with "presence", one that others will follow.

I'm hard pressed to choose anyone from the current squad who measures up to those captains that have preceded them, if forced to choose I'd reluctantly give it to Skrtel or Milner.   :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:28 pm

I think Klopp might use the captaincy in order to get one of his high profile targets. He promises someone like Gundogan the captains armband it might make his mind up were he wants to go.

I like Hendo, but I'm starting to feel that we need a proper leader.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:10 pm

Henderson will struggle to be a regular next season imo once Klopp starts to rip up this squad and bring in quality. That makes having him as captain a bit more difficult. He's no leader, none of the current lot are and that's a big problem for us.

Leadership qualities have to be high up the list in terms of every signing we make this summer, because this squad needs 3 or 4 leaders signed, not just a captain.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:14 pm

I think people have hit the nail on the head in regards to no leaders on the pitch. It's why struggle to come back after going a goal or two down. The heads simply drop and there's no one to pull everyone together and lead by example.

Big changes needed in the summer....
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:55 pm

We need to buy a captain, a figurehead, maybe an older pro and Henderson isnt good enough for us going forward let alone club captain.

You dont have to promote from within and plenty of clubs bring in people to lead their club on the pitch.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:25 pm

We need to make a few signings and hope one of them prove to be worthy of the armband because none of the players we have currently are fit to wear it. If I had to nominate one from the current batch then it would be coutinho. I know he is young but he is the heart of that team and the best player we have.

I'm really hoping klopp brings in a few players of quality in the summer and hopefully one of them will be a leader, One who isn't afraid to tear a strip or 2 off a player when its needed.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:01 pm

Henderson knows hes out of his depth, stinks of it, we just need Klopp to put him out of his misery.

That apart he could lift the cup Sunday  :D
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:05 pm

When SG was captain you could tell many times how players felt confident and gave it their all. That is what a captain figure is meant to give. That extra boost which can make a huge difference to success.
When Hendo walks on the pitch with the lads you don't sense any sort of command. That balo pen issue last season was a joke.
Captain is meant to be respected and looked upto.
I doubt the players even notice hendo as captain on the pitch.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion