Do we need a new captain?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby KARMANI » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:44 am

If Rafa were to consider changing the captaincy even if only on a temporary basis, I reckon it could only have a good effect on us.

This stage of the season is perhaps not the ideal time to make changes, but equally it is the time for strong leadership. Stevie was an exemplary Captain for us last season, but it's always easier to lead when things are going well. What's more important is how you can get the team going when things are going against you, and games are slipping away into draws and defeats.

Gerrard is an exceptional player, but I'm not convinced he is a natural leader. Last season he responded, this season he has appeared burdened, especially of late. Any negative talk about him is magnified because he is the one who has to lead the team. I reckon he'd feel less pressure to perform, and would receive more positivity from the fans and the players around him.

So, the candidates would be:

Carragher - not much to say here, he's a massive fan first and foremost, on and off the pitch. His statements to the press are a breath of fresh air, with optimism and fierce belief in the team and manager. Would only respond by raising his game. The obvious candidate.

Riise - energy in abundance, a powerful figure who would command respect. His dedication to the cause has never been in question, even in the last couple of seasons where he has not been as effective. Has ambitions to captain his national team and I don't see why he could not in time.

Baros - Great young talent who never stops trying. Usually ignores team mates in better positions - but why should the captain not lead by example? Er, loves Barcelona.

Ok, so realistically there are only 2 possible candidates. This is not some kind of attack on Gerrard, just a way I think would help him (and by association, the entire team) play better between now and the end of the season. Perhaps if he is still with us next season, with all the hype and speculation a thing of the past and a rejuvenated will to succeed for LFC, he could be reinstated. But having our leader on the pitch with so much negativity surrounding him benefits no-one.
KARMANI

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:46 am

been done b4, Carra is the unanimous decison.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:29 am

Carra all the way
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:13 am

KARMANI wrote:If Rafa were to consider changing the captaincy even if only on a temporary basis, I reckon it could only have a good effect on us.

This stage of the season is perhaps not the ideal time to make changes, but equally it is the time for strong leadership. Stevie was an exemplary Captain for us last season, but it's always easier to lead when things are going well. What's more important is how you can get the team going when things are going against you, and games are slipping away into draws and defeats.

Gerrard is an exceptional player, but I'm not convinced he is a natural leader. Last season he responded, this season he has appeared burdened, especially of late. Any negative talk about him is magnified because he is the one who has to lead the team. I reckon he'd feel less pressure to perform, and would receive more positivity from the fans and the players around him.

So, the candidates would be:

Carragher - not much to say here, he's a massive fan first and foremost, on and off the pitch. His statements to the press are a breath of fresh air, with optimism and fierce belief in the team and manager. Would only respond by raising his game. The obvious candidate.

Riise - energy in abundance, a powerful figure who would command respect. His dedication to the cause has never been in question, even in the last couple of seasons where he has not been as effective. Has ambitions to captain his national team and I don't see why he could not in time.

Baros - Great young talent who never stops trying. Usually ignores team mates in better positions - but why should the captain not lead by example? Er, loves Barcelona.

Ok, so realistically there are only 2 possible candidates. This is not some kind of attack on Gerrard, just a way I think would help him (and by association, the entire team) play better between now and the end of the season. Perhaps if he is still with us next season, with all the hype and speculation a thing of the past and a rejuvenated will to succeed for LFC, he could be reinstated. But having our leader on the pitch with so much negativity surrounding him benefits no-one.

Your theory has holes all over it:

1) Taking the captaincy off Stevie G will be the final nail in his coffin at Liverpool.

2)  Riiise is not vocal, does not talk to the other players enough andis a bad choice.

3)  Baros - Ha HA HA HA HAH AH AH  you are joking right?

the only valid point you raise is Carra as captain, and anyone who has been a member of this forum in the last twelve months should know about him anyway.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ronmeister » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:48 am

While i think Carra should be captain i gotta agree with Leon if u take it of SG he will leave full stop.
ronmeister

Postby el_stinger » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:16 am

He's already gone
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:13 pm

i think people make a too bit much out of this captaincy bit.
its not like cricket where he has a lot of influence on the game. the truly great captains all seem to have one thing in common, good players around them who know the score. roy keane could shake his fist all he wants but if he`s playing for bury against ac milan nothings going to change.
great teams are full of captains, souness may have worn the armband but the likes of kenny, jocky hansen, jimmy case, ray kennedy etc...etc didnt need no one to tell them what was expected.
genuine team spirit is whats needed.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:05 pm

Baros as captain?

Jesus
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Iceman69 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:39 pm

Im available if we need a new captain!

Im versatile, can tackle, pacey, good head, and can track back.

:D  :D
Iceman69

Postby coolsobs » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:29 pm

I think hamann would also make a good captain.
coolsobs

Postby 109-1105722616 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:54 am

its carragher for me, if its not stevie g then it goes to carragher or hyypia(think jamie is a bit young and hyypia has that little bit of experience)
109-1105722616

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:58 am

how is carra a bit young?

he is our most long-serving player and at a prime age of 27.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:43 am

I dont agree with Baros as captain, I do however agree that he has been playing with purpose and fervor to the Liverpool cause this term, much more than I can say about our captain at the moment. Even though he hasn't scored for a while, he has assisted in goals, and he creates them. The last decent game I saw Gerrard play was when Mori scored his first.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion