The new club captain

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Who should be the new Liverpool FC captain?

James Milner
13%
Jordan Henderson
33%
Martin Skrtel
33%
Mamadou Sakho
13%
Adam Lallana
No votes
Somebody else, state on the thread
8%

Total votes : 24

Postby C-R » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:31 am

Obviously with Stevie moving on to LA Galaxy the club will need to appoint a new club captain, the press for the past 6 months have all been under the impression than Jordan Henderson would get the job, however i am not personally sure that he has everything required to be a leader and organiser on the pitch

New players have come into the club such as James Milner, would he be a better choice than Henderson ?? He certainly has a lot of experience and has premier league medals

Then there is Martin Skrtel, who has reportedly just signed a new contract (to be confirmed officially), Martin has been at the club a good few years and has a lot of experience both league wise and on the international scene

Back last year i thought about Lallana, but since watching him on the field a lot more i really don't think he has what it takes, although he was captain of Southampton for a number of years

If Emre Can had another few years under his belt he could be a contender, as could Sakho who i believe has captained both PSG and the full France national side on occasions

So who would be your choice? I have created a poll also, let's see what others think
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:46 pm

For me I reckon this may be the order of captaincy...

1. Henderson
2. Milner
3. new midfield top marque signing
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Buck Rodgers » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:08 pm

Think Henderson deserves a chance
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby kazza » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:59 pm

I voted for Skrtel but it is not a no brainer. I'd like to say Hendo but I'm just not sure, I think he would want it but I just feel he is not strong enough. It is actually a tough call.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:24 pm

I went with Skrtel. Don't think Henderson has the "leadership" qualities needed (remember him being mugged off by Balotelli over taking a penalty ?) and although the incoming Milner has a wealth of experience and maturity I prefer my team captain to have spent at least a couple of seasons with the club.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:59 pm

I'd go for Emre Can

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:16 pm

LFC1990 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:59 pm wrote:I'd go for Emre Can

One for the future perhaps, right now the fella must be wondering what position he'll be playing next term and consequently what his long term future with us might be if Bodgers doesn't get stuff sorted, never mind trying to captain the team.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:16 pm

I'd go Sakho, yeah I know his english isn't great but I think we need a change of direction, Hendo to me would just be an extension of what has gone on before and going by the way we finished last season there was obviously a lack of on field leadership there.
If Ron Yeats, Emlyn Hughes or Graeme Souness were there those capitulations would not have happened imo, I'm not saying we would have won all the games but the players would have at least looked @rsed that's for sure. Never mind the manager if anyone wasn't pulling their weight those players would have been asking questions themselves.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Buck Rodgers » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:30 pm

Sahko struggles with English and again he isn't the greatest communicator at the back ( one of our biggest issues ) - same with Skrtel. The only one who does communicate well is Toure but he isn't good enough - don't even think Sahko would be first choice of all CB's were on form and playing wells

Lucas would be a good choice but not sure if he will be around next season

Milner isn't a bad option but Henderson getting the vice captain last year speaks volumes. He had matured greatly over the last two seasons to be a crucial player in the middle - he won't shy away and will get stuck in , not afraid to bellow at players.

Overall the impact of the captain isn't much these days - it all stems from the sidelines
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:00 pm

woof woof ! » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:16 pm wrote:

One for the future perhaps, right now the fella must be wondering what position he'll be playing next term and consequently what his long term future with us might be if Bodgers doesn't get stuff sorted, never mind trying to captain the team.

Fair enough but I think he shares a few characteristics with Gerrard where he will sacrifice himself for the good of the team by playing out of position etc

He also wants to drive us forward and I believe when he plays in midfield is probably our current best player.

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Buck Rodgers » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:18 pm

LFC1990 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:00 pm wrote:
woof woof ! » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:16 pm wrote:

Fair enough but I think he shares a few characteristics with Gerrard where he will sacrifice himself for the good of the team by playing out of position etc

He also wants to drive us forward and I believe when he plays in midfield is probably our current best player.

Has the ability to become an outstanding CM - pace , power , ability on the ball - right now is a bit raw with streaks of immaturity in his play and choice but he could easily become the sort of player like Toure and Pogba

Hopefully see him in the middle a bit more next season but not with the captains arm band yet - got to let the lad mature as a player first
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:32 pm

Lucas would make a great Captain ,other than him Sakho has an air of genuine authority about him.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:36 pm

Sakho used to be captain at PSG at 19 if I recall well. He's captained France a few times as well. I don't know if he should be our captain but he's captain material that's for sure. Gets injured too often and his English isn't the best though.

Can is definitely captain material and I'm pretty sure most on here expect him to be our captain in a few years. But right now he's too young and has only been here for a year. Not right now but definitely one to consider for the future.

Milner - a guy that just arrived at the club? No chance in hell for me.

Skrtel - although I rate him as a player to an extent, I've never seen him as a leader. I'd give him the vice-captaincy though, but only because he's been with the club for a long time.

Lucas is a good shout, he's been with us for a long time, he's a smart player and he isn't quiet. But unfortunately, BR doesn't rate him and he probably won't even be here next season.

So that leaves Henderson. Not a leader type of player but probably the best option right now. At the moment he's probably the best candidate, though I don't expect him to retain the armband for too long.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:06 pm

I voted for Milner, BECAUSE he is new, mature t 29 and coming from a successful side. He also has the right character traits.

Henderson is a nice lad but not a club captain.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:27 pm

Reg » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:06 am wrote:I voted for Milner, BECAUSE he is new, mature t 29 and coming from a successful side. He also has the right character traits.

Henderson is a nice lad but not a club captain.

I voted the same as you  :nod

I feel (even though he is new) that Milner has more about him than Henderson and a winning mentality  :nod
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion