Bigger stadium

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby destro » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:57 pm

Easy solution would be to knock Woodison down  ( lets face it , it serves no purpose really :rasp  ). Then use the  space to make a huge car park

Imagine the noise level made by 80,000  :buttrock 
destro

Postby lakes10 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:18 pm

What i find strange is that was spoken about a few weeks ago and it was not picked up on by the press. i would it to be bigger, hey why not make it 100,000 that would shut a few clubs up.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:25 pm

Would a bigger stadium mean cheaper tickets tho? I mean if the ticket prices dropped to like £25-£30 it makes a huge difference to fans, and I think we could fill 80,000 then.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:09 pm

80,000?! Hmm, sounds about right to me! all niggling problems aside (transport, etc etc) it would be a statement of intent. When the Romans built Rome and the Coloseum, did they stop to think "hmm, what about transport, and will we fill it?". Did they F*ck! They said, we're Rome, let build the :censored: as big as we can. We're LFC, lets build it MASSIVE because we're a massive club!
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:12 pm

Emerald Red wrote:80,000?! Hmm, sounds about right to me! all niggling problems aside (transport, etc etc) it would be a statement of intent. When the Romans built Rome and the Coloseum, did they stop to think "hmm, what about transport, and will we fill it?". Did they F*ck! They said, we're Rome, let build the :censored: as big as we can. We're LFC, lets build it MASSIVE because we're a massive club!

Great attitude. We'll just have to do it Emirates style and have an underground that can perhaps link up with james st or lime st? Straight into town an get smashed in the ONE4 hahahaha!
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:45 pm

80,000 would be great, so long as the design keeps the fans as close to the action as possible.

To be honest, so many fans want tickets and can't get them for so many games due to the fancard system. If the fancard system rewarded loyalty with premium seats, and then the remaining seats went on general sale, I could definitely see us filling a stadium of that size more often than not. Ooters like myself would definitely make the trip more often... I'd happily jump on a train on a whim for a midweek game, something I wouldn't dare do now as there's no guarantee I could get tickets without paying well over the odds.

Obviously transport is a huge issue, but to make this move at all, I think the Americans have something up their sleeve...
ivor_the_injun

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:07 pm

we all know it should be bigger and now finally we have people at the club who realise this aswell, 60k with no scope to expand is an absolute joke, what where they thinking, ok dont want to have a pop at moores/parry but they were working to a budget but now we have people in charge with financial mussle and a knowledge of building and running sports stadia.

the only drawback to any new proposal is the possible delay with gaining new planning permission, the only way i can see a way around this and not require a totally new application would be to alter the present design to allow more seats by removing the columns from the corners and building back to meet the roof, i think this would end up looking like the 70k stadium that was first muted but i think rejected. they might be looking at building down so the stadium wont end up any higher just a bit wider

what we need to do is take a look at someone like Barcelona and how they manage, a train link may be a possible solution or more park and ride schemes, nothing is impossible if you have the people with the right idea`s

finally how would people react if the only way to get a 80k or even a 70k stadium meant moving to somewhere like speke.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Woollyback » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:37 pm

Alonso14 wrote:Would a bigger stadium mean cheaper tickets tho? I mean if the ticket prices dropped to like £25-£30 it makes a huge difference to fans, and I think we could fill 80,000 then.

i doubt it, unfortunately. the cost of a stadium increases exponentially with size - eg. instead of an 80,000 ground costing double what a 40k ground would, it ends up costing 3 or 4 times more. in other words increasing the capacity by 25% could increase the cost by let's say 50%. the net effect? they need to keep ticket prices fairly high to pay for it

liverpool fc has a massive "latent" fan base - people who COULD go to the game, but don't due to a perceived difficulty in getting tickets, or at least a bit of a ball ache getting tickets. If suddenly tickets became massively more available then it would surely awaken a lot of this latent fan base and they would start to go to the game. i'm not sure we'd fill it midweek or for the "lesser" teams on a saturday but there'd be plenty of games every season (50% + ?) where we'd fill 80,000 at the drop of a hat, making it one of the very biggest grounds in europe(and bigger than old trafford, which would make me p*ss :D )

but then again i reckon all this speculation of 80k is bollox - i think the whole rethink is related to the "we must have a distinct kop end" business rather than 20,000 extra seats
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:58 pm

If I had just bought LFC and discovered the previous owners had sanctioned the building of a new stadium that would host some 20 thousand fans less than the sum on the current season ticket holders & people on the season ticket waiting list combined, I too would halt proceedings and source all avenues of increasing stadium capacity. Fantastic news.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:03 am

i think we could fill an 80,000 seater stadium no problem maybe not for midweek games against lesser opposition but most of the time it would be full. It would be like old trafford but with atmosphere :p
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:23 am

80,000?! Hmm, sounds about right to me! all niggling problems aside (transport, etc etc) it would be a statement of intent. When the Romans built Rome and the Coloseum, did they stop to think "hmm, what about transport, and will we fill it?".

Transport concerns are essential before a stadium is built. There's no point having a mega-stadium if nobody can get to it and there's nowhere to park. Also, it's demoralising to have a stadium that can never be filled. That being said, the Colosseum was an amazing arena. The Romans made a point of constructing enough entrance/exits that would allow the arena to be filled and emptied quickly and everyone got a good view of the action. The Colosseum floor could even be flooded for mock sea battles.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:37 am

sea battles you say...
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:49 am

neil wrote:sea battles you say...

aye  :pirate

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:15 am

Yep, it was called "Naumachia"

The re-enactment of sea battles.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby cheesecake » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:04 am

80000? Build it......and they will come!
cheesecake

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion