Rafa: attacking football this season! - From the mirror

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:42 am

RAFA RAVES ON

LIVERPOOL BORING? SEE US START SCORING! Reds boss signs another striker and vows to light up the Premiership

David Maddock 14/07/2007

RAFA BENITEZ believes that he has finally been given a licence to thrill by his new American bosses.

The Liverpool manager yesterday completed the signings of exciting young Dutch striker Ryan Babel and skilful Israeli midfielder Yossi Benayoun, and revealed that he was ready to go on the attack.

The Spanish coach has signed no fewer than five attacking players this summer to transform the look of an Anfield team that was based on solid defence and industry in the forward positions.
Advertisement
Click here to find out more!

It showed too, in the goals Liverpool have scored under Benitez. In the three years they have had the Spaniard as coach, they have never managed more than 57 goals in the Premiership, an average of just 55 a season.

When you consider that any team with title pretensions must score more than 70 goals, then Liverpool have been well short, scoring 40-50 goals fewer than their main rivals Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea over that period.

Benitez believes he now has the fire-power to make an all-out assault on the Premiership - and he believes the fans will see a new-look Liverpool this season.

"Now, finally, we can compete in the market for exiting young attacking players, and that is what we have done this summer," said Benitez.

"We feel that attacking wise we have a much stronger squad, and we will be able to score more goals with this group of players. We have been able to go out and find players of quality in those positions, which perhaps in the past we haven't been able to compete for.

"Now, we have players of quality in the key positions, players who can change a game when we need them too, and that will allow us to play more of the style of football we want to at Liverpool."

Under Benitez, Liverpool have matched Chelsea for the title of meanest defence in the Premiership, but when it came to scoring they simply did not have the ammunition to hurt opponents.

But after splashing out almost £50million on the likes of Fernando Torres, Andriy Voronin, Sebastien Leto, Babel and Benayoun and several young attacking players for the reserve team, Benitez now believes he can emulate his success at Valencia.

He twice won the Spanish La Liga with his previous club, and it was based on an attacking policy that often saw him play three men up front, and utilise two skilful, goal-scoring midfielders in wide positions.

Liverpool can expect more of the same, with Babel and Benayoun likely to be utilised as out and out attacking options on either flank. Benitez said: "Last season we had a team that was very good in defence, and one that created more chances than any other going forward, but didn't take those chances. We really want to attack this year, and maybe now we have the quality to convert the chances.

"Maybe we also have signed players who can give the quality of delivery from wide positions that will help our goal-scoring."

Torres will provide the focal point for the attack, but Benitez insists that he wants a broad threat from four or five forward players...just as he had in Spain. "In Valencia we had three, four or even five players who could score 10-15 goals a season, and that is what I want at Liverpool because it gives you more options," he said.

"If you have one player who scores more than 20 goals then that is good. But if he is the only goal-scorer, then that could be a problem because if he is injured you suffer, and he also becomes a target for the opposition.

"They know that if they counter his threat, then they can stop your team. But if you have four or five players who can get into the box and score goals, then you have much more variety, and you are far harder to work out and stop.

"In the past we had to sign players without having any money, but we always wanted to sign players of quality to give us those options, and finally we have had the chance to do that."

Babel is a perfect example. At 20 he has been described as one of the most exciting young players in Holland, and he can play as a striker or wide on either side, scoring goals from all positions.

Babel said: "I know I have come into a side with very many players of real quality that will make the competition very strong, but when I spoke with the manager he said I can play in a lot of attacking positions.

"We had a very good talk and he convinced me Liverpool was the right move for me, even if there is lots of competition. I was very impressed, he was like a very nice uncle. My father was with me and was very impressed.

"I am not afraid of competition because I believe Liverpool will provide lots of attacking opportunities for me."

----------------------

Thank g0d, we haven't played attacking football for years, Barca/Arsenal eat your heart out, were gonna rip defences open this season  :bowdown  :buttrock  :eyebrow
Last edited by Paul C on Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:36 pm

I thought at times we did play some attractive fluid football in attack.Villa home and the 1st half against Gala at home come to mind. But on the whole we need to be able to pluck goals out from being on the backfoot as well as finish of half chances.

In particular I hope Rafa addresses our inability to make goals from set pieces. Not just free kicks but corners. Ok the CL goal against Chelsea was a nice free kick but as for corners we are awful. Infact I dont even remember many goals from corners, Maybe the odd one from Paletta in a cup game.

20 goals can mean a hell of a lot in terms of points.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chrisrafman » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:20 pm

i can glady say that between, torres, kuyt, babel and crouch we can look at 70 goals between them, add the goals from gerrard, alonso, riise and the others we can glady say were in for a shot. attacking football YES
The devil on the badge represents the equality of manchester united with satan and his many demoish minions downstairs. just like the many twisted devil worshipers accross the world it means you have to posess the same sick minded mentality to follow that pathetic excuse for a football team.
chrisrafman

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:02 pm

Yeah, I saw the original comments from Rafa on the .tv site and was excited by the prospect of us being more Valencia-like in attack this season.  If the new lads settle well and contribute straight away, we could be a very exciting prospect going forward.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Wilhelmsson » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:51 pm

I have only just read this article a few minutes ago and it has given me an enormous sense of excitement and joy. If Liverpool can be more penetrating (cue the jokes :p ) in attack, more creative and more experimental, then things in the final third should look a lot better.

I don’t expect this transition to be completed this season as the team is still in progress and the likes of Benayoun, Babel and Torres will no doubt take a while to settle in to life in Liverpool and in the latter two’s case, England.

I launched a critical post about Benitez several days ago which this issue encompassed, it’s pleasing to see that Benitez is happy to address this and is happy with the defence and is focusing his efforts on the positions that matter the most.

Hopefully the negative tags which have been conjured up by opposition fans in relation to our style of play can start to be shed and a beautiful, yet effective and successful style of football can be born and implemented with full effect.

I have been very excited with the signings this summer, whilst acknowledging the fact I know little about Torres and little about Babel and from what I have read (both positive and negative) I am looking forward to seeing these players in action.

I can’t help but have a grain of pessimism in my head, after all last season a majority of supporters were happy with the signings of Aurelio, Pennant, Bellamy, Kuyt and Gonzales and said these players would transform Liverpool from a rather defensive, and lacklustre attacking unit into an miserly defensive and a amazing attacking outfit.

I have faith, I am just a little nervous and excited about the new season.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby Scottbot » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:04 pm

I wouldn't get too carried away lads. I'm not expecting a huge shift in style or emphasis this coming season and would expect the team to go about their business in much the same way as the previous two. In the interview Rafa acknowlodges that we created a lot of chances last season ('more than any other') but bemoans the fact so many of them went begging. The team will play the same way, no doubt looking to control the middle of the park, exerting controlled aggression only this season perhaps we have the right players to convert the chances that come our way. Time will tell.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:49 pm

Scottbot wrote:I wouldn't get too carried away lads. I'm not expecting a huge shift in style or emphasis this coming season and would expect the team to go about their business in much the same way as the previous two. In the interview Rafa acknowlodges that we created a lot of chances last season ('more than any other') but bemoans the fact so many of them went begging. The team will play the same way, no doubt looking to control the middle of the park, exerting controlled aggression only this season perhaps we have the right players to convert the chances that come our way. Time will tell.

:nod

However, I do think this season at anfield we will definitly see better attacking football that the other seasons because we always go gung ho at home  :D

Away games will be different, I guess Benitez will stay cautious as always but we will see some glimpses of good football that would soon develop in the coming years, hopefully.

Thats my prediction
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crillylfc » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:09 pm

there all 2 long 2 read!!ahhhhhhhhhh
crillylfc

Postby neil » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:16 pm

chrisrafman wrote:add the goals from gerrard, alonso......

:Oo:

Alonso didnt even score last season
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:23 pm

i believe we play good football but were not clinical in the final third
we created more chances and shots on goal then any other team last year so we cant be that boring

what we have lacked though is players that can beat a man take him out the game for a split second with skill and pace and i feel the likes of torres, babel, and benyoun can do this not sure about leto as ive never seen him play and leivia want get to many games just yet
plus harry is back and hopefully injury free this season and pennant can carry on this year where he left off
so we have a handful of players that can beat a man or two now whitch we never had before and im very positive about the season ahead
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:47 am

Scottbot wrote:I wouldn't get too carried away lads. I'm not expecting a huge shift in style or emphasis this coming season and would expect the team to go about their business in much the same way as the previous two. In the interview Rafa acknowlodges that we created a lot of chances last season ('more than any other') but bemoans the fact so many of them went begging. The team will play the same way, no doubt looking to control the middle of the park, exerting controlled aggression only this season perhaps we have the right players to convert the chances that come our way. Time will tell.

Exactly.

I dont think we're ever going to see us play 'Arsenal' football under Rafa. Although at times we have and are capable of playing attractive attacking football.

My only doubts are from mostly hearsay and from little of what I've seen of Torres. Rafa bemoans the chances that have gone begging, but is Torres that man to put them away, I'm not so sure. Kuyt either.

Also of another note in regards to attacking football. Especially at Anfield anyway, the team as a whole from defence to midfield then to attack really need to up the tempo this season to open teams up especially on the break. Some games last season were terrible, as we didnt thrust attacks onto teams with pace and creativity, hopefully thats were our newboys will help us out. So not only have the new boys coming in have to help out in responsibility, but the rest of the team do too, to really zip the ball about and not be so static in movement.
66-1112520797

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion