Lfc in the transfer market - Non-profit making organisation

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:23 pm

With what looks like the iminent departure of Diouf from our club. This will again represent yet another major financial loss on a player who has become out of favour at Liverpool Football Club. A £10million outlay with the possiblity of recouping maybe £3-4 million back? Add this to the £5million loss on Heskey and the fact that we'd only get peanuts for the likes of Cheyrou and Diao and we are making a SUBSTANTIAL LOSS. I know this happens to other clubs, but it does seem to happen to us more often than not (even going back beyond the Houllier era).

OK, Man Utd have made significant losses in the past on players such as Veron, Yorke, Cole, Butt. However the fact of the matter is that Veron aside, Fergie got the best out of them before flogging them when he thought they were past it. Diouf never gave a flicker for the price we paid for him to justify his tag.

You also have arsenal who brought Anelka for £500,000, Overmars for £8m, Petit for £5m and ended up flogging them for a combined fee of nearly £60m. They also brought an "unknown" in Patrick Vieira for £3.5m and look to be on the verge of selling him for £30m.

Can you think of the last player (who wasn't a home grown player) that we sold on for a profit?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:34 pm

not a lot wrong with that post there la'
i always questioned the scouting system under Houllier, he seemed to be our only scout!!    did we have english scouts watching these french and senegalese lads that Houllier liked, to see how they may fair in the Prem? it seemed not.
saying that i'm still holding my breath on Diao and i think Cheyrou was mis-treated also. Diouf cant hack the prem though.
who do you think we could make a profit on now, apart from the three obvious: owen gerrard hyypia.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby maximus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:45 pm

jim_morrison_supported_liverpool wrote:not a lot wrong with that post there la'
i always questioned the scouting system under Houllier, he seemed to be our only scout!!    did we have english scouts watching these french and senegalese lads that Houllier liked, to see how they may fair in the Prem? it seemed not.
saying that i'm still holding my breath on Diao and i think Cheyrou was mis-treated also. Diouf cant hack the prem though.
who do you think we could make a profit on now, apart from the three obvious: owen gerrard hyypia.

Why would we need to make a profit if LFC players are playing and winning championships for LFC??

the point is players values increase in a successful team. We have not been successful in the last 10 years or so.
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby Starbridge42 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:47 pm

Maybe Kewell.  We got him for peanuts and I reckon we could make a small profit on him.  I reckon we'd make a profit on Dudek and Carragher as well.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby maximus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:52 pm

Surely you buy players to achieve success in the club, not for profit (just ask Chelsea!!)

After all, you generally sell players that are underachieving, therefore not good players, therefore sell for less money.
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:56 pm

yeah but the point i'm making is that we pay over the odds for players in the first place who clearly aren't as good as we want. when they don't perform we then struggle to get rid of them. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sean » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:13 pm

Liverpool f.c. is like a charity.  We even gave McManaman to Real Madrid for free.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby XSD » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:16 pm

This is all pretty obvious. Our players aren't fashionable because our team isn't winning any silverware. With a bit of luck Josemi will be worth 15m in a few years, Cisse 20 etc
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion