Any suggestions for a new centre back?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:50 pm

I'm no great fan of the guy as a person, but I've wondered a couple of times about Ivan Campo.

Good in the air, and although you don't see it that often, the guy's good with the ball on the deck too. Certainly wouldn't cost the earth either.
ivor_the_injun

Postby stmichael » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:31 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:I'm no great fan of the guy as a person, but I've wondered a couple of times about Ivan Campo.

Good in the air, and although you don't see it that often, the guy's good with the ball on the deck too. Certainly wouldn't cost the earth either.

isn't he primarily a holding midfielder?

he's older than hyypia anyway.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Rimetto_ » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:45 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:I'm no great fan of the guy as a person, but I've wondered a couple of times about Ivan Campo.

what is wrong with you lot??

Canavaro and Campo !!! are you trying to turn us into a club where players retire? Can you honestly see Rafa going out and getting a player alomost pension age after spending all his time putting together a young squad that will be together for 3/4 seasons?

Lets give the lad Hobbs a run and see what he's got or if we Rafa thinks he needs to buy don't get anyone older than mid 20's. I think the Micah/Taylor suggestions made by a few on here is the type of player we should be looking at.

Someone mentioned woodgate and to be fair to the lad he's a decent CB but spends most of his time injured.
Rimetto_

Postby club_Levis » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:59 pm

Luisao of Benfica....Solid as a rock!!!
club_Levis

Postby Sabre » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:00 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:Sergio Ramos.

Not sure how much we'd have to pay for him though.

A lot probably.

Sergio Ramos is a great player that plays in the back four, but he's not a great CB IMHO.

Before the Denmark-Spain match, a Danish player Povlsen winded him up before the match saying that it's quite easy to get his back, and I have to agree with him. Ramos is a great player to use in the RB and go to attack, but I think he won't play as a CB in Madrid anymore now they have bought real CBs.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:11 pm

Rimetto_ wrote:

Canavaro and Campo !!! are you trying to turn us into a club where players retire? Can you honestly see Rafa going out and getting a player alomost pension age after spending all his time putting together a young squad that will be together for 3/4 seasons?

Lets give the lad Hobbs a run and see what he's got or if we Rafa thinks he needs to buy don't get anyone older than mid 20's. I think the Micah/Taylor suggestions made by a few on here is the type of player we should be looking at.

Someone mentioned woodgate and to be fair to the lad he's a decent CB but spends most of his time injured.

Two words. Gary McAllister.

Don't tell me that players well into their 30s can't offer something to the club.

As for Campo, he's currently being used as a holding midfielder, but as far as I'm aware, most of his career was spent as a centre back.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Sabre » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:17 pm

It's true in Mallorca and Madrid he mostly was a CB.  He has a decent technique with the ball, and under pressure he's never nervous and have composure. He positions well, he can do the job.

But he is very slow mate and he has 34 years (It's true that Cannavaro is 33 but still retains a lot of his abilities, I don't see the end of his career not this year, not the next, but he's old aswell).
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:18 pm

Franco Baresi, Alan Hansen and Krusty the Clown
burjennio

Postby redmikey » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:49 pm

this name never appears but i have to say i think he will be top class

lescott............ and i know he is a clingon lookalike but the lad can play

cheaper than richards, better all round footballer imho
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Rimetto_ » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:52 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:
Rimetto_ wrote:

Don't tell me that players well into their 30s can't offer something to the club.

As for Campo, he's currently being used as a holding midfielder, but as far as I'm aware, most of his career was spent as a centre back.

and i agree with you that Gary Mac was a fantastic buy a legend just for the freekick against everton alone :D but he played in a position where speed didn't matter expecially with a footballing brain like his, we need someone alongside Carra that has pace.

That was shown when Hypia came back into the team and was found wanting, i know we've been solid since but to be fair we've not come up against anyone with real pace up front yet.

But that was under GH not Rafa and what i was saying is Rafa has spent big on youth so i can't see him going for someone as a stop gap but hey that's just my opinion.
Rimetto_

Postby roberto green » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:20 pm

look no firther than Titus Bramble:D
roberto green

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:16 pm

In all fairness, I think the level of signing we make at centre back will be dictated with how Agger's recuperation pans out. If he comes back soon with no ill effects, and swifty gets back to his highest level, I can see us bringing in a freebie from the continent.

If he suffers further setbacks, and it looks like being the kind of injury that keeps recurring, I have a feeling Rafa may ask the owners to splash the cash.

For me, the key thing is quality and depth. Pace would be nice too, but it's becoming increasingly rare in a quality centre-back and it tends to be pricey.

I do expect us to make a signing, but if money is tight, there's always Hobbs and the option of using Arbeloa in the centre. Personally I think it'd be great to see Hobbs getting involved more with the first team - the best youngsters rise to the occasion when opportunities arrive, and there's no better way of judging him that throwing him in at the deep end. Let's face it, the reserves league is no gauge of a player, and he's either good enough or he's not.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Owzat » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:47 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:
Rimetto_ wrote:

Players in their 30s are heading towards the end of their career, as people get older they get slower and less mobile with needs of afternoon naps. A title challenging side should have a great many younger players under 30 than over, plus players under 30 have longer left in their career and form LONG term signings not SHORT term gap fills

Current Liverpool 1st Teamers over 30

34 Hyypia (DOB 07/10/73)
31 Finnan (DOB 20/04/76)
30 Carragher (DOB 28/01/78)

That's all folks! And rightly so. There's only a handful between 28 and 30 as well which should be about their prime, but as you can see two are more often injured than playing

29 Kewell (DOB 22/09/78)
28 Voronin (DOB 21/07/79)
28 Aurelio (DOB 24/09/79)

Not bad that all but six of our 1st team are under 28. I wouldn't advocate selling any of the six names other than Hyypia who is too slow, but I would equally advise against selling anyone over 30 now we have a good squad. We have a good squad, if we can't find good players under 30 then there's something wrong.

And just consider one name if you have any doubt over age - Shevchenko. £30m and I bet Chelsea will regret it for years
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:38 pm

personally i wouldnt bother with a centreback
i think we can last the season with carra agger sami and young hobbs pluss arebola is a more then capable centreback

i would wait until the summer and buy a top class centreback i.e garay because i think in our position we should be buying first team players or youth anything else is pointless
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:54 pm

I don't know if he has been mentioned but what about Zaccardo from Palermo?  From what I've seen of him he looks like a solid defender and he's good at set pieces. Can he operate as a cb or does he only play as a rb?
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion