Next seasons centre back partnership

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed May 20, 2009 2:00 pm

I think it's well documented that another top class CB is an absolute priority in the summer with Sami leaving. Presuming that happens, who would be your starting two centre backs next season?

I presume most will say Carragher plus one other and base who partners him on the physicality of the opposition and whether we are playing home or away. However Carra isn't getting any younger and there have to be doubts about the number of games he can play next season.

Also, if we are going after a centre half, does anybody have any realistic suggestions of who we should go for? Personally, even though he's had a nightmare this season, I'd have a look at Micah Richards if he can get his confidence back.

Thoughts?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Wed May 20, 2009 2:09 pm

Richards would be a great shout. I agree it should be our next priority but will Rafa have enough money to buy a decent CB what with the need for a new striker, winger and possible RB?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed May 20, 2009 2:11 pm

Not sure about Micah Richards as a CB, if the price is reasonable (with Citeh and their manager having little financial sense) then he might make a good signing because he can cover RB and we're lacking (cover) there.

I would like to see Carragher and Agger have a run of games together, maybe in late® pre-season and at the start of next season. Either way Rafa has one of three options (involving Carra) :-

- Rafa signs a new CB and he starts alongside Carra. I'm not sure Skrtel and Agger would be very happy if pushed down the pecking order though, although Agger could make a good LB in my opinion and that would add extra height defending corners. We played four CBs across the back under Houllier, perhaps erring on the defensive side, but someone like Agger can run with the ball so it isn't like he'd only go up for corners.

- Rafa pairs Skrtel or Agger with Carra and sticks with it until it succeeds or fails. The one thing you want to avoid as manager, above all else, is constantly chopping and changing your CB pairing. All pairings down the spine of a side develop understanding, however the CB pairing need it more as they are the last line of defence in front of the keeper. The rest will benefit from playing together regularly, but it isn't as crucial

- Rafa chops and changes. Not good, may keep the individuals happy by not being stuck on the bench, but it's better for the side that the pair develop understanding.

But at the very least Rafa isn't (it seems) making the same mistake Josie did. Josie let the side lose too many CB options (Gallas and Huth), and left himself short of defensive cover. I think that contributed to the mancs winning their first title in three years, poor and unnecessary transfer activity by Josie while fergie maintained pretty much the same side. I have to laugh at the Cashley deal, poor old Cashley thought he was going to be winning everything there is and has hardly had a sniff. I still think Bridge is the better LB
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Wed May 20, 2009 2:37 pm

i dont think Richards is any good as a CB.. maybe a decent shout for RB or even a future CB but for that price tag he'd be a waste of money if we played him as a CB... that said, i think we'd probably -more often than not- get away with playing titus bramble down there so it isnt that big a deal at the moment... Skrtel isnt a great defender and neither is Agger... both need a few years i would think before theyr up there with the likes of Ferdinand and Carvalho and so... Carra is our best choice and if i were Rafa id have Agger alongside him unless we go out and buy a new CB... I dont think that we should go out and spend anything more than a couple of mill or so to replace Sami.. 4th choice ? maybe get a bossman or a 30sum year old who would be happy to sit and teach Agger and Skrtel a thing or two...

Id rather sell one of Agger or skrtel, use the money to finance a deal for a top class CB (albiol, Chiellini, Chivu, Mexes..) have one of the kids step up to be 4th choice... However, we have to concentrate on the other positions that need more urgent addressing atm... new RW, new RB and maybe a backup forward all before looking at spending big money on a CB...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Wed May 20, 2009 2:44 pm

I can't really see what is wrong with Carragher, Skyrtel and Agger, what is the problem?
heimdall

Postby ICE-MAN » Wed May 20, 2009 2:49 pm

I wouldnt go so far as to say that its priority to get a top class centre back in! At the end of the day, Carra is gonna start the majority of games which leaves Skrtel and Agger fighting it out to be number two, but then again those two must be given a fair few games together as well to get a bit of a partnership going! Then we should have Martin Kelly as our back up, only way hes gonna be blooded into the side! He got good reviews playing for Huddersfield and is an England u19 international, so why not let him be 4th choice and get some game time here and there!

United have Vidic, Evans and Ferdinand!  Evans is hardly a world beater and then if needed they throw O'Shea in there, who isnt a world beater either!

We should defo give the 4th spot to Kelly and see does he mature and progress at a decent rate!  Were lettin too many youngsters go without giving them any hint of game time!  Hobbs and Anderson gone, and probably followed by a load of others! Anderson wasnt given a chance at all! It could be argued that he didnt set the world alight at Forest, but lets be honest here, he was playing in a sh*t team!! I reckon he cud have done better with much better players around him at LFC!

Save the money for some top class attacking players and use Martin Kelly!!
ICE-MAN

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Wed May 20, 2009 3:38 pm

I can see us bringing in a centre back in the summer. Carra ain't getting any younger and I can see Rafa bringing in a young understudy. Bearing in mind the potential new homegrown player rules and who may/may not get relegated I would look at Taylor (Toon), Wheater (Boro) or Turner (Hull)
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Wed May 20, 2009 6:13 pm

The fella from Fulham, Hangeland, looks good to me.

Strong in the air and excellent defensively.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Wed May 20, 2009 7:45 pm

metalhead wrote:The fella from Fulham, Hangeland, looks good to me.

Strong in the air and excellent defensively.

I agree.
SupitsJonF

Postby Red H » Wed May 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Although I think Hangeland is a decent player, I think I'd prefer David Wheater, from 'boro, a bit younger, and rawer, but English.

That said I doubt we'll go for either if Abidol is available, but my real preference would be for one of the youngsters to come through.  I think Arbeloa could play there too, but I wouldn't be too comfortable with that.
Red H

Postby Alex G. » Wed May 20, 2009 9:08 pm

Don´t Know a name, but please, he must be tall, because this season the corners has been a disgrace for us.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Wed May 20, 2009 11:29 pm

Alex G. wrote:Don´t Know a name, but please, he must be tall, because this season the corners has been a disgrace for us.

That would be Hangeland, has the makings of a damned fine CB and shouldn't be too pricey either.
heimdall

Postby JC_81 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:44 pm

For me it's Carragher and one of Skrtel or Agger... and stick with the same two barring injuries/suspensions, none of this chopping and changing according to the opposition - I don't believe in doing that with centre halves, what you need there is stability and an understanding.  On current form it's Agger over Skrtel.

Have said it before I wouldn't sign a centre half this summer unless an option came up that we just couldn't turn down, but the position will need looking at in the near-ish future.  There are other positions that are weaker imo.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu May 21, 2009 12:14 am

Surely its Skrtel and Agger with Carra now the senior player. Dont see we need anyone else.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Thu May 21, 2009 8:49 am

It doesnt really make that much difference if he is REALLY tall or not, he will be marking a Zone, and the delivery of the set piece/cross will just miss out that zone ( if they have any sense ). I suppose he can always help set the nets up though ???
destro

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion