Any suggestions for a new centre back?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:48 pm

i think it's the general consensus that rafa will be in the market come january for a centre half. sami's doing a good job at the moment but he's getting no younger. agger's still out and carra went off with a knock the other day. hobbs is still a kid and arbeloa is a converted fullback.

i know we've been linked with garay from racing santander but i heard £10m being quoted which seems a lot of money for me. it's difficult as a lot of the best players are CL cuptied.

the question is, who would anyone here suggest as a possible new centre half?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:54 pm

Hobbs will do for me as cover when Agger's back.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:56 pm

LEts keep this as a mods only thread.

I dont know.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:57 pm

Cannavaro, an hybrid between Agger's accuracy with the ball and Carra's passion. He's fúcking strong, and he's clever, he does his job deep, but also with little fouls when the line is advanced that avoid counters. The bloody bástard is able to get away without a card in a lot of fouls he does, he's very Italian.

Problem is that I think he's expensive and that he'd preffer to go back to Italy.

I'd happily have Heinze aswell  :down: he's done a good job as a CB when he's given the chance. Fact is, that Real Madrid's success under Schuster has a lot to do with that reinforced back four they have. Heinze, Pepe, Metzelder and Cannavaro is an important list of defenders, and they might be willing to sell one. Of that list, I'd like Heinze and Cannavaro.

LEts keep this as a mods only thread.

Sorry, I didn't read that until I posted  :D
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:05 pm

I wouldn't sign any centre backs in January.  Agger's almost fit and Hyypia's still good enough.  Then there's Hobbs - what's the point in having a reserve team if the captain isn't considered good enough to be 4th choice centre back for the first team??

But if money's burning a hole in Rafa's pocket then I recommend Kaladze.  Nearing the end of his contract and equally good at CB and LB.  If rumours are correct, Rafa is interested already.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:08 pm

john craig wrote: Then there's Hobbs - what's the point in having a reserve team if the captain isn't considered good enough to be 4th choice centre back for the first team??

Good point.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:21 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
john craig wrote:Then there's Hobbs - what's the point in having a reserve team if the captain isn't considered good enough to be 4th choice centre back for the first team??

Good point.

It's a good point, however if Rafa considered Hobbs for the first team right now, he would have included him in the rotation system before this season.

The fact Hobbs is not ready in Rafa's eyes right now doesn't mean he's not good enough though. Cases like Agger, extremely young and good CB, are rare. Probably Hobbs needs more time. The fact remains that Rafa wanted Heinze this season, and I think that he's still willing to strenghten that position.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:25 pm

Per Mertesacker... still only 23 and a full blown german international...

what's more german players don't cost much (except for Ballack but that is because of chelsea)... I'll be surprised if he costs more than 10 million ...

he will be very good for present as well as the future just like Agger...

we had one of the best defenders ever in Markus Babbel... now it's time to have another german defender...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:31 pm

john craig wrote:I wouldn't sign any centre backs in January.  Agger's almost fit and Hyypia's still good enough.  Then there's Hobbs - what's the point in having a reserve team if the captain isn't considered good enough to be 4th choice centre back for the first team??

But if money's burning a hole in Rafa's pocket then I recommend Kaladze.  Nearing the end of his contract and equally good at CB and LB.  If rumours are correct, Rafa is interested already.

I take your point John.

I think Rafa's doing the right thing in letting Hobbs adjust to life in the prem by blooding him at the end of games that are already in the bag. He definitely has potential and another couple of outings will do his confidence a world of good.

Rafa must see something in the kid to keep him in the first team squad and not send him out on loan like he has with a lot of the other youngsters on our books.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:39 pm

Depending on how Rafa views Hobbs potential and likelyhood of ever being good enough for first team regular action. If he thinks he has a legit shot than go for someone aged 26-28 with prem experience and somewhat on the cheap.  If Rafa thinks its only like a 1/3 chance that he will make it, then might as well look for the ideal long-term partner for Agger, someone young, with loads of quality, and whose style would fit complementary to Agger and break the bank on it.  Other than the  18 month centre half cover senario, I would like Rafa to only buy one or two big time players that will significantly upgrade one position (not CM) rather than just adding more depth at a couple of positions.
JoeTerp

Postby dawson99 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:46 pm

dawson...just to save me on getting a name on my top :p
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:04 pm

I don't want to write Sammi off BUT can anyone see him still with us  beyond next season ? . I don't know when his contract is up but contracts aside , if Carragher and Agger are the first choice centre backs with a young Hobbs pushing for a place on the bench ,if an offer for Sammi came in he could choose to move on if only for the guaranteed first team footy in the few years that are left of his career.

Hobbs is still "unproven" and any long term injury to our first choice CB's could leave us very vulnerable.

I think it would be prudent for Rafa to be giving serious thought to bringing in an experienced CB before the start of next season.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:07 pm

I hear John Heitinga is a good defender...
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:14 pm

Sylvan Distin is havin a blinder at Portsmouth from the looks of things
burjennio

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:40 pm

burjennio wrote:Sylvan Distin is havin a blinder at Portsmouth from the looks of things

would have been an excellent signing last summer, especially considering he was on a free.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion