Next seasons centre back partnership

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:47 am

would anyone here take sol campbell on a free?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Effes » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:51 am

stmichael wrote:would anyone here take sol campbell on a free?

Defo.

Saw the foul last night that Skrtel gave away for their first goal.

It's becoming a trademark thing of Skrtel to do that. Clumsy and needless fouls.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:11 pm

Effes wrote:It's becoming a trademark thing of Skrtel to do that. Clumsy and needless fouls.

I think it is an issue with the whole team and Rafa needs to address it. Giving away too many free-kicks and corners when we concede too many from them.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:25 pm

Owzat wrote:
Effes wrote:It's becoming a trademark thing of Skrtel to do that. Clumsy and needless fouls.

I think it is an issue with the whole team and Rafa needs to address it. Giving away too many free-kicks and corners when we concede too many from them.

and we certainly can't afford to be doing that against stoke as they're lethal from set pieces. infact that's 75% of their attacking threat right there.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:48 pm

In theory we should have about 75% of the possession against them and they shouldn't pose enough constant threat, but then that should have been the case in both 0-0s last season. Be a test of Hansen's Hypothesis, that Rafa has worked out how to play that kind of team and not worry about the threat they pose.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:43 pm

Hey Sabre, have you seen anything of this guy?

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1207031/Liverpool-eye-10m-Fernando-Amorebieta-Rafa-Benitez-seeks-defensive-stability-Athletic-Bilb
ao-centre-back.html]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport....ck.html[/url]
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:14 pm

On a serious note, for how much longer do you see Carra being an automatic first choice for? He's not finished by any means but he's certainly on the wane. His tendency to bypass the midfield by just hoofing it at times does my head in aswell.

People bemoan the lack of a vocal presence amongst Skrtel and Agger but ignore the fact that neither is going to develop that side of their game when only playing alongside Carragher, who shows no trust in anyone.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:25 pm

I think Carraghers distribution looks worse when he plays alongside Skyrtel and now that Alonso has gone. Unfortunately, top player that he is Masherano is not prone to drop in and ask for it off the centre halves, Lucas doesn't, and Carraghers defensive partner is not going to do an "Agger" and step out with it.

My guess is that against the better teams this will be a real issue for us this season. The answer probably is for Gerrard to come in a bit deeper when we're setting up (that is to say starting moves off from the back), and also for the wider players to show more. If fit Riera provides a good spot to hit, while even his most ardent fans would probably accept that Dirk's strong-point isn't instantly killing a 30 yard crossfield pass. I guess Aquilani will get involved when and while he's fit, but with Carra and Skyrtel we would have comfortably the least "footballing" centre backs out of the top four and it is a wee problem.

It's a problem with the "hoof" but that's actually the last part of the chain reaction. The first part is that teams needn't bother facing up the centre halves with the ball, they can sit off and pick up and invite them to do something. The net result of that is double ups on your better out balls, slow build up play and when all else fails, the "hoof".
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:53 pm

As i posted earlier in the week from what me mate heard, this is now off the beeb.............

Reds' Agger hit by injury setback 

Agger played 25 times for Liverpool last season
Liverpool defender Daniel Agger is set to have surgery on a back injury which could rule him out for six weeks.

Agger, 24, has missed Liverpool's first two games of the season and will travel to France for an operation next week.

Liverpool's defensive options have been severely stretched with Martin Skrtel also sidelined because of a jaw injury.

However, boss Rafael Benitez drafted in Greek international defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos from AEK Athens for £2m on Thursday to strengthen his squad.

Kyrgiakos should be available to make his debut in next Monday night's game against Aston Villa.

606: DEBATE
When is Agger going to get through a season without being injured?

ramclean
Another option for Benitez may be 19-year-old Spanish defender Daniel Ayala, who featured alongside Jamie Carragher in Wednesday night's 4-0 Premier League win against Stoke.

Agger arrived at Anfield from Brondby for £5.8m in January 2006.

The Denmark international, who featured 25 times for Liverpool last season, is likely to be fully rehabilitated from his back injury by November.

Just underlines how much we needed to sign that greek lad, lets hope he can come in right away and perform.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Owzat » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:49 am

stmichael wrote:On a serious note, for how much longer do you see Carra being an automatic first choice for? He's not finished by any means but he's certainly on the wane. His tendency to bypass the midfield by just hoofing it at times does my head in aswell.

To be honest is that not down to the captain and manager to knock on the head? Carra should be passing either to his full-backs or to the deepest midfielder to initiate moves, unless he's clearing of course (and assuming it is his ball to clear! :D )

As for how much longer he goes on, well I think he'll be 1st choice until he makes more mistakes than saving tackles and one of our other CBs is better than him. Agger is too often injured to displace Carra, Skrtel needs to tidy up his game a bit and stop giving away silly and clumsy fouls. Our whole back four could do with giving away less free-kicks and corners so it isn't just Skrtel.

stmichael wrote:People bemoan the lack of a vocal presence amongst Skrtel and Agger but ignore the fact that neither is going to develop that side of their game when only playing alongside Carragher, who shows no trust in anyone.

Do you pick a CB on vocal presence or ability to win headers, tackles etc? Do you pick a CB on distribution and composure in possession or ability to win headers, tackles etc?

I like Agger, I would love him to be our best CB, but at present Carra is our best CB. The management should be able to sort distribution and communication issues, if they don't/can't then I question their management skills. Maybe Carra did refuse to play RB that time last season, maybe he refuses to listen to their instructions on distribution etc. In which case they need to deal with him. Personally I think the problem is that the natural or complimentary partner to Carra is Agger, better on the ball and distribution so makes the ideal partner, is injured too often. Not much Rafa can do about that, other than to get Carra to follow instructions and pass the ball to his FB or Mascherano/Lucas/whoever. All our players should be able to execute a 10-15 yard pass accurately under little or no pressure. (well maybe not Babel)
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:32 pm

Owzat wrote:Do you pick a CB on vocal presence or ability to win headers, tackles etc? Do you pick a CB on distribution and composure in possession or ability to win headers, tackles etc?

Defensive ability first and foremost. Bobby Moore was never a great vocalist at the back, he was just a brilliant defender.

Listen I'm not having a go at Carra. I was just asking how long you think he's got left at the top and whether he can be another Sami. He brings more to the team than just his defending, organisation, experience and the occassional boll#cking to anyone who deserves it (ask Arbeloa) plus the fact he gives the young defenders someone to look up and aspire to, if they have the same desire for this club to succeed as he does. Do you think Agger could do these things? I dont.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:27 pm

bigmick wrote:Unfortunately, top player that he is Masherano is not prone to drop in and ask for it off the centre halves, Lucas doesn't, and Carraghers defensive partner is not going to do an "Agger" and step out with it.

I have to disagree there.. against Stoke last Wednesday Mascha was coming deep and picking the ball up nearly every time Reian or the CB's had the ball.

A couple of times he let poor Danny Ayala move forward with it but he kinda "threw a bambi" and looked like he was going to :censored: himself..  Looked decent in the air though.. he won lots of headers, just needs to build his confidence up
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Zidane » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:59 pm

Lol Ayala, his facial expressions were priceless in that game when he had the ball and had to pick out a pass. :D
Zidane

Postby Dazzer » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:05 pm

stmichael wrote:
Owzat wrote:Do you pick a CB on vocal presence or ability to win headers, tackles etc? Do you pick a CB on distribution and composure in possession or ability to win headers, tackles etc?

Defensive ability first and foremost. Bobby Moore was never a great vocalist at the back, he was just a brilliant defender.

Listen I'm not having a go at Carra. I was just asking how long you think he's got left at the top and whether he can be another Sami. He brings more to the team than just his defending, organisation, experience and the occassional boll#cking to anyone who deserves it (ask Arbeloa) plus the fact he gives the young defenders someone to look up and aspire to, if they have the same desire for this club to succeed as he does. Do you think Agger could do these things? I dont.

I think he got maybe 2 seasons left in tank at this level.He makes alot more mistakes now look at that injury he gave skrtel , he sometimes don't know where he is on pitch it worries me alot.
Dazzer
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:21 pm

stmichael wrote:Listen I'm not having a go at Carra. I was just asking how long you think he's got left at the top and whether he can be another Sami. He brings more to the team than just his defending, organisation, experience and the occassional boll#cking to anyone who deserves it (ask Arbeloa) plus the fact he gives the young defenders someone to look up and aspire to, if they have the same desire for this club to succeed as he does. Do you think Agger could do these things? I dont.

For me it depends who is partnered with, Jamie is at his best dealing with the 2nd ball, he's got great anticipation, he reads the game as well as any, blocks shots and often saves us as the last line of defence. Partner him with a dominant player, who is strong in the air (remind you of anyone!) and able to go up and win the first ball and we'll get another 3-4 years out of Carra.

I would have been happy to see us go and sign Turner or Shawcross who both have the potential to be that type of player.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion