stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:40 pm

4-0, Torres.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:40 pm

4-0, great play by Pujol. Now I fear the overconfidence that is common in Spain when we win like this. Spain waves between the absolute lack of confidence on the team, and the overconfidence. There's never a middle point.

Good job Luis Aragones, I didn't expect this, whatsoever.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:46 pm

Well what an amazing game from Spain, they are my new 2nd favourites to win!  :D  I said beforehand how strong thier selected team looked and they have shown their strength. Both strikers getting on the scoresheet and our good ol xabi
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby drummerphil » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:50 pm

well impressed tipped Spain as my outsiders on another  thread on here yesterday.I said finally they will step up..........(funny though if there was no Liverpool link i may not of bothered ) :D
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:52 pm

Drummerphil, Xabi, Reina and LG are ours, and the rest of the Spanish squad, are regulars in the rumour mill threads, who do not remember the Joaquin or Torres threads? :D
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:56 pm

:D  well impressed Sabre mate, if we dont win it (England) then i would love Spain to win it.Still cant see England getting past quarters again.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:08 pm

Spain have always seemed to be a great team but have never lived up to expectations. This team looks very strong now, i think they can go far
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby ckay » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:09 pm

Does anyone know who got brought down for the foul that gave Villa the free kick for his first goal???
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Torres was great
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby pablinho » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:12 pm

lol i also think torres is overrated but  was ... a good match from him .

Seems he read the coments about he is  overrated and  then he scored the  goal lol
CD Castellon - Spain
pablinho

Postby GOAT » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:14 pm

pablinho wrote:lol i also think torres is overrated but  was ... a good match from him .

Seems he read the coments about he is  overrated and  then he scored the  goal lol

:D Yeah just as people were complaining about him being overrated he scores a fantastic goal
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:27 pm

A very strong performance from Spain.  They were very solid at the back, Xabi, Xavi and Senna simply bossed the midfield and they had great movement up front from Villa, Torres and Garcia.

As John Craig noted, Spain deployed their fullbacks to good effect down the flanks (especially Ramos, although Del Horno's substitute had a very solid game as well).  This allowed Xavi and especially Garcia to tuck in nicely and cause plenty of problems in the centre of the park.  I think it was the same sort of game plan as Brasil employs, except that Puyol and Pablo were more solid today than Lucio and Juan were yesterday and I rate the Alonso/Senna midfield pairing over Emerson and Ze Roberto.  Not saying Brasil won't turn it up several notches as the tournament goes on, mind (and Spain may of course trip themselves up!)...but it just seemed like a system that allows for a lot of creativity for both sides, with fullbacks providing width and the "wide midfielders" (Ronaldinho/Kaka, Garcia/Xavi) dinking infield, switching flanks, popping up all over the park and basically being a nightmare to mark.

I thought Alonso had a rather understated game (good but understated), primarily because Xavi seemed to be on the ball more and Senna got forward more often.  In a sense, Alonso didn't have a whole lot to do, as Ukraine's midfield simply did not come to grips with the game (heat?).  His goal was nicely taken, though.

Little Luis was very lively up front and played some nice stuff in and around the box--particularly the final ball that Villa should have buried for his hat trick.  He also managed to keep possession well and track back on occasion.

Villa had a nice game. although he was a bit fortunate with both of his goals.  Torres also looked lively and took his goal very well.  Villa is an exciting player that I'd love to see come to us (will not happen, though).  As for Torres, I'd like to see how he fairs as the tournament goes on: he certainly wasn't a world beater out there but I don't think he was poor either.  Overrated, yes--untalented, no.

I also thought Senna had a very good game: had a great dip at goal in the first half and was unlucky to have a goal chalked off in the second.

As for the ref...that was never a penalty.  Shocking decision and certainly killed the game as a contest.  Let's hope there's some appeal mechanism for Ukraine because that was very harsh.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:19 pm

Good post BadBob. To be honest I was a little bit concerned due to the lack of Real Wingers. I'd always put a real winger on the game, Reyes, on the left, or Joaquin on the right, but when I see the result I can't complain.

Looks like pure wingers (although Reyes can be a striker too) will be used to open up a stuck game. Good news for Spain, is that we have many options.

Ukraine was just unlucky, they prepared a game to play the counterattack and they just got two goals too early. The heat did the rest, I agree it was a bit harsh to them. Don't think they'll have troubles to pass as second, though.

Just for the sake of discussion Ironically for the Luis Garcia, trickster and ball waster camp, LG is playing on the starting eleven, where as the so much desired Joaquin is not. Is it just me or we just don't appreciate King Luis as much as we should?
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:28 pm

stmichael wrote:i have money on david villa to be top scorer in the tournament so hope he bags a hatrick. if not today then he should fill his boots against tunisia and saudi arabia.  :D

Me too Saint. I got a fiver on him at 25-1 although i wish it was a tenner now! Was fuming when Aragones took him off! Was also thinking of having some money on spain to win the whole thing but their odds will have come down a long way now. I would love to see David Villa at Anfield next season. If only we had the money

:(
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion