Spain favourites for the world cup

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Dalglish » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:33 pm

dawson99 wrote:
Dalglish wrote:I hope it's Spain who lift the World Cup and with players of the calibre they possess and the way they play the game I believe football will be a winner if they do.

I certainly don't want England to win it. 

P.S. I live in the "Republic of Merseyside" NOT England :D

I wanna see England win, but only if Stevie is Captain and lifting the cup... apart from that couldnt care less

I'm with Carra ................. :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:06 pm

heimdall wrote:
Dundalk wrote:I still see Brazil winning it tbh

Under Dunga they have a strong look about them along with all the skillfull players. Everytime i see them im very impressed with them

Didn't Brazil struggle to qualify for the WC?

no
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Julio-0 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:44 pm

Spain, Brazil, England...
Julio-0

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:53 pm

Dalglish wrote:I hope it's Spain who lift the World Cup and with players of the calibre they possess and the way they play the game I believe football will be a winner if they do.

I certainly don't want England to win it. 

P.S. I live in the "Republic of Merseyside" NOT England :D

Nice to see you back mate ,totally agree with you Spain will win it playing the way football was meant to be played  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:59 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
heimdall wrote:

Under Dunga they have a strong look about them along with all the skillfull players. Everytime i see them im very impressed with them

no

even if they did it hardly has a bearing on how they're gonna perform at the WC does it?

The only thing that really bothers me about England winning it is the media wa@nkfest that will follow. Dare I say it but I think it would drive me to hate football
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Greavesie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:00 pm

the build up for their second was class
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby tubby » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:20 pm

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Spain go out in the group stages. :D At least Nando gets a bit of rest for a change.

Nah I hope they win it really.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:38 pm

If luck doesn't affect the outcome I think Spain will win. Brazil also will have a good shout. Germany will probably make the semis somehow.

I'm surprised people here think England have a chance, I'd consider them a very long shot, I mean they didn't even qualify the european championship. Who knows though, greece won in 2004.

I like watching Spain though so will be cheering for them (or anyteam playing against the kunts from France)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:49 am

Ben Patrick wrote:
heimdall wrote:

no

Yepp you're right, they qualified with ease, what the hell was I thinking about? I'm sure they had gone through a bad match, maybe I was thinking of someone else.  :blush:
heimdall

Postby Big Niall » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:28 pm

heimdall wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:
heimdall wrote:

no

Yepp you're right, they qualified with ease, what the hell was I thinking about? I'm sure they had gone through a bad match, maybe I was thinking of someone else.  :blush:

You are probably thinking of the Argies.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:39 pm

I agree that it is amazing how many people fancy England to win the competition. Their seems to be a lot of optimism around despite the fact they do not look like world beaters and even experts are not putting them as their World Cup tips. Germany will not be up there, I think this is the weakest German team for quite a while. I am sticking to my original prediction that it will be either Brazil or Spain, with the semi-final slots filled up by England and Argentina.
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:38 pm

It will be winter in South Africa and the tempratures shouldn't be a problem for any of the teams (not disimilar to a fine spring in the UK although nights can be cooler). What may have a significant affect however will be the difference in altitude between the coastal venues and those inland . Johannesburg is almost 6000 feet (circa 1700 m) above sea level, the air up there is noticably thinner. Any team that plays a game down on the coast and it's next game at the elevated locations could struggle. It's the kind of situation where we could see some "unexpected" results.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:40 pm

Brazil are the only country to win the World Cup outside of their own continent.

I think having "favourites" for a competition is short sighted, unless the competition is predictable and won by the same team every time - which the World Cup isn't. Brazil have won it only twice since they got to keep the Jules Rimet Trophy back in 1970, winning in 1994 and in 2002.

LAST SEVEN WORLD CUP WINNERS

1982 Italy
1986 Argentina
1990 W.Germany
1994 Brazil
1998 France
2002 Brazil
2006 Italy

Fair to say it depends on how well the teams perform, and as I'll say of any cup competition, it only starts in earnest as of the QFs and you do need a bit of luck with the draw etc. Spain do have a good side, but don't have a great World Cup record. Their best performance is only 4th place, back in 1950. In the last five World Cups they've only reached the QFs TWICE, although somewhat surprisingly both were outside of Europe and in every World Cup since they hosted they have reached the QFs outside of Europe

SPAIN IN WORLD CUPS 1982 (HOSTS) ONWARDS

1982 (Spain) Quarter-Finals
1986 (Mexico) Quarter-Finals
1990 (Italy) Round 2
1994 (USA) Quarter-Finals
1998 (France) Round 1
2002 (Korea/Japan) Quarter-Finals
2006 (Germany) Round 2

PRE-EMPT to predictably boring bungleboy, you are :sleep so stop post-boosting as that is all you are doing with your :sleep  posting of  :sleep - get over yourself, boring tard

Who would have predicted Italy winning it last time? While France as hosts may have had an edge, Brazil were probably the best team in the competition but fluffed their lines in the final. I can't see England winning it, it is much the same squad of players as has too often failed, but not just that, they have yet to prove they can progress beyond the QFs and despite the team being talked up, they have yet to beat a major team in the knockout stages and that is one hurdle they will have to clear before talking about winning it. I'd love to see it, but I think our best shot was having a fit Owen and Rooney together and that isn't likely to happen. Not enough brilliant players are coming through, we could potentially grind results out a la Greece, but Greece didn't have the extra tough teams of Argentina and Brazil to compete with (as it was the Euros so they couldn't play, just in case some bright spark decides to make out I don't know that or some equally ludicrous comment on it)

So come on England, if not then Spain wouldn't be the least deserving ever winners or Brazil. Actually I'm not sure I care who wins it, will laugh my f in :censored: off if France win it, would be worth it for the priceless reaction of the irish although they might never shut up about it as a downside
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Yossi_Benaloon wrote:I agree that it is amazing how many people fancy England to win the competition. Their seems to be a lot of optimism around despite the fact they do not look like world beaters and even experts are not putting them as their World Cup tips. Germany will not be up there, I think this is the weakest German team for quite a while. I am sticking to my original prediction that it will be either Brazil or Spain, with the semi-final slots filled up by England and Argentina.

To make a case for England, we seem to have a coach who is remotely competent and may get the best out of the team, unlike Hoddle and SGE.

And the other case to be made is that the best side doesn't always win (a tournament), just look at Greece and as mentioned the Italians winning in 2006. But to win it we have to reach the final, and that means beating a top side on the way there or improving on our penalty shootout record

You should know by now that realism is rarely a factor when people tip England, I guess we're a big name regardless of whether we're a realistic winner. In TWELVE previous World Cups we've gone out at the quarter-final stage EIGHT times, the two times we went further we won it (1966) and lost the semi and finished fourth (1990) so we're due another good World Cup in 2014 - you heard it here first!

Realistically I think our chances rank alongside teams that have never won the World Cup, bar Spain whose chances are better than our's.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion