GLEN JOHNSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Fri May 22, 2009 12:11 pm

I see there's a story in a "newspaper" that shall remain nameless but not shameless, linking us in a battle with Redknapp over Glenn Johnson. Fee mentioned is £12m, anyone any thoughts over whether this is a good move at the right price? Too much perhaps? Or should we look elsewhere.

Personally I think £12m is a bit much for a RB who is far from sure of being his country's first choice, he seemed to be one of two in Capello's mind, fighting with (CB) Wes Brown for the spot. I'd want the RB to be one of the best around for £12m, I'm not sure he's that good. That said, if it takes £12m to land him maybe we should. He's not quite 25, plenty of experience in the Premiership and better may well cost more. I think he's worth maybe £7m-£8m, I seem to recall Chelsea paying £6m for him and I think pompey paid £4m - has he really improved that much?!?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sworth26 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:17 pm

Owzat wrote:I see there's a story in a "newspaper" that shall remain nameless but not shameless, linking us in a battle with Redknapp over Glenn Johnson. Fee mentioned is £12m, anyone any thoughts over whether this is a good move at the right price? Too much perhaps? Or should we look elsewhere.

Personally I think £12m is a bit much for a RB who is far from sure of being his country's first choice, he seemed to be one of two in Capello's mind, fighting with (CB) Wes Brown for the spot. I'd want the RB to be one of the best around for £12m, I'm not sure he's that good. That said, if it takes £12m to land him maybe we should. He's not quite 25, plenty of experience in the Premiership and better may well cost more. I think he's worth maybe £7m-£8m, I seem to recall Chelsea paying £6m for him and I think pompey paid £4m - has he really improved that much?!?

To be honest I think he has improved a great deal at portsmouth.  I think £10mil is about fair and I would be really pleased if we signed him. 

Johnson, Silva and Tevez - that'll do nicely!
sworth26

Postby Owzat » Fri May 22, 2009 12:31 pm

You say that but top defenders don't have to cost that much - Evra, Vidic, Bridge (to Chelsea), Agger and Skrtel are just four off the top of my head who didn't cost more than £7m. He may well have improved, but I still think £12m is a price tag of more of a finished article and solid/experienced international

That's not to say I wouldn't mind if we did pay a little over the odds at £9m-£10m, if it worked out then maybe £12m but nothing is certain.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri May 22, 2009 12:36 pm

Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri May 22, 2009 1:00 pm

Liverpool or Spurs?

Hard choice.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Fri May 22, 2009 1:06 pm

I think he's potentially the best right back in the Premiership, and I've always thought he could play right midfield as well. In actual fact, he's always looked to me like a right midfielder who's playing right back in all honesty so he may come in very useful. I've advocated his signing for a long time now, and I think we should properly go get him. I reckon that at 25 years of age, he is cheap at 12 million quid and I think we'll have to go higher to secure his signature. If I was in charge of the purse strings I'd go no higher than 17 mill for him, but upto that figure I'd look to see off any rivals.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri May 22, 2009 1:59 pm

I think we should really use that 7Mil they owe us as leverage. Surley the promise of CL football will be enough to tempt him not to mention a top 4 club. IMO He is the last decent RB left in the league not snapped up by a to-p 4 side. Luckily Chelsea tossed him away a few years ago.
Last edited by tubby on Fri May 22, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri May 22, 2009 2:17 pm

Potentially best Right Back of the premiership sounds like good enough for Liverpool, I haven't seen enough of the lad.

This opens the debate on Arbeloa. We signed him for a small price, and the lack of quality RB / LB in Spain, added to the good seasons he has done in England,  and added to him being summoned or being close of the national squad, have elevated his price around 6M or 7M.

In terms of quality he won't improve. This kind of player becomes more expensive if he has the intelligence to learn from experience. There are average-goodish players that through experience they become very good, such important is decission making in football. But for some reason, I doubt Arbeloa is one of those players. I can't reason you why, it's just a hunch.

Considering all that, and considering he's rumoured to be a bit homesick (I wonder if Carraguer's burst had something to do with him knowing Arbeloa will go), I think it's a good moment to sell Arbeloa. Especially if there's an interesting and quality english player that we could sign.

I know that Arbeloa has been good enough to be a reliable back up player and somebody that has earned his place at the club. But everything indicates that Liverpool needs to sell to make some money, and I'd rather look for those extra millions in Arbeloa than in Alonso. I don't know you but I don't think we'll ever get much more money from Arbeloa than the money we'd get if we sold him today.

If that Glenn Johnson is "potentially best RB in England" for Mick, then we should go and get him, Mick has most of the times a good eye for players.

But the question I'd want to know is whether he's right now a noticeably better option for best starting eleven, as we don't have time to wait, we must win the league next season against the Manchester cúnts. If he is, then we should get him, selling Arbeloa if necessary.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Fri May 22, 2009 2:36 pm

a bit expensive unless Rafa buy him because of he just English player ... I would prefer this boy Gianni Zuiverloon ... cheap, young and good ..
LiverpoolMadman

Postby aCe' » Fri May 22, 2009 2:50 pm

I dont think theres a big gap between RBs in world football today.. obviously Dani alves and Maicon are a step ahead of everyone else with Sergio Ramos probably the closest behind but to me everyone else is pretty much at the same level... The likes of bosingwa, W.Brown, Srna, Zambrotta and Sagna are all top players who can do a decent job with not much trouble...
Now for Glen Johnson... i think hes a good player... not as good as the names above perhaps but deffo worth a look if the price is right.. but 12 mill is just a little too much for my liking.. i would have thought 7-10mill would be a more reasonable price for him... That said, we could really do with bringing in a proven (and i dont mean in the prem) RB who can go forward and have an impact on our attacking game... Im not sure Kuyt is going to lose his spot in the starting side after the season he's had and for that, i think that bringing in an attacking rightback should be one of our top priorities...

If we cant find any better options (Rafinha, Srna, Lahm..etc) who would cost similar if not less money, then i think Johnson would be a pretty good buy and one we should seriously look at wrapping up before other sides come into the equation...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Fri May 22, 2009 2:52 pm

but johnson seems to be a bad :censored: ya? ex-Chelsea boy. he looked aloof and arrogant to me.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri May 22, 2009 2:52 pm

Apparently Chelsea want to sign Maicon for £22m.

That would take there spending on right backs since Abramovich to nearly £60m. :Oo:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby GYBS » Fri May 22, 2009 2:53 pm

7-10 mil is prob what he is worth but i expect you would prob have to pay around 12 mil to get him .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Fri May 22, 2009 3:07 pm

stmichael wrote:Apparently Chelsea want to sign Maicon for £22m.

That would take there spending on right backs since Abramovich to nearly £60m. :Oo:

Maicon is probably the best RB in world football today.. if they sign him for 22mill i think we should put in a cheeky 10mill bid to try and get Bosingwa.... anything we are willing to pay for Johnson id rather we spend on Bosingwa instead... not like they'll be willing to sell to us or anything but ...eh...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri May 22, 2009 3:08 pm

I would take lahm as first choice over anyone - his stock has gone down a bit lately but still one of the best fullbacks for me and has the ability to play either side .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion