JAMIE CARRAGHER - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:26 pm

Great article this. Liverpool legend as far as i'm concerned. Has been my top Red for a few years now :bowdown

I can tell you with some certainty that Bill Shankly would have loved Jamie Carragher because he told me so.

Not via the gin-soaked throat of Madame Margie The Menopausal Medium in the back room of a London Road pub one wet Tuesday afternoon, but on a baking hot day in Melwood in June 1975, when I asked him to name the best Liverpool player he'd ever managed:

"I've had many skilful men," he rasped, "and the likes of Peter Thompson, Ian St John, Kevin Keegan and Steve Heighway were the ones who caught the eye. But the best professional of the lot was Gerry Byrne. He wasn't flashy and he wouldn't score you goals. But he was hard and skilful and gave you everything he had. More than that he was totally honest. Which is the greatest quality of all. He was a true Liverpudlian who couldn't look his fellow Scousers in the face after a game unless he'd given everything he had for 90 minutes."

Can you think of anyone who has worn the Liver Bird since Gerry Byrne more befitting of that description than Jamie Carragher? Can you think of another player ahead of Carra who you would count on to do what Byrne did in the 1965 FA Cup Final: Break his collar bone after three minutes, then, because substitutes weren't allowed, play another 117 minutes, delivering a cross that produced the opening goal? (Okay forget about the cross.)

For Byrne in '65, playing into extra time with two edges of jagged bone grinding together, read Carra in the dying stages in Istanbul in '05. Body wracked with excruciating pain, legs so cramped he could barely walk, pushing himself on, throwing himself in, carrying his team towards the finishing line.

I'm telling you, Shankly would have loved him. The great man's tongue would have lacerated clowns like Steve McClaren who were so blinded by the hype surrounding John Terry, Rio Ferdinand and Ledley King, they failed to give Jamie an England shirt with the correct number on the back.

But then, over the years, many people have got Carragher wrong. And I hope there's a few of you out there who are big enough to admit it. During all those dire games under Gerard Houllier when he was played out of position at full-back Jamie took some awful stick. Certain Anfield regulars and many armchair supporters, frustrated at the lack of style and subtlety on the pitch took their frustrations out on Jamie's limited attacking skills (without questioning why Igor Biscan was taking his place at centre-half).

When Liverpool failed to break down teams Jamie copped it for not doing enough in the opposition's half, the same way Ronnie Whelan and Sammy Lee used to cop it - two other players with wonderful intelligence and work ethic who were integral parts of the red machine.

Carra kept his head down and his mouth shut and gave his all, despite knowing he was being used out of position. It was the same when he played for England and pundits and phone-in critics took their turn to underestimate him.

I still laugh at The Times's "ratings assessment" of his performance against Juventus in Turin in 2005: "Jamie Carragher: 6/10. Made important interceptions and blocks, although he caused anxiety when giving the ball away on the edge of his own penalty area."

I wrote at the time that it was a bit like giving Geoff Hurst 6/10 after his World Cup-winning hat-trick in 1966 and writing: "Only had three decent shots, and caused quite a bit of anxiety when one hit the bar and bounced on to the line."

Carragher was a colossus against Juventus. Just as he was in every single game on the road to Istanbul. When Rafa Benitez liberated him from his full-back misery and stuck him in the position he was born to play he was a revelation. By the end of the 2004/5 season we were all dreaming of a team of Carraghers and laughing at his exclusion from the PFA's Footballer of the Year short-list.

Because in a season of heart-thumping highs and gut-wrenching lows he was the club's most consistent performer. The true driving force, composed, committed and focused in every game.

When Benitez lost Steven Gerrard for that game in Turin, he said: "big problems require big solutions". No they don't, they require big men. Heroes who fear no one, lead by example and are prepared to die for a club.

In an era when many players see themselves as precious brands and allow their disloyalty to be seized upon by sharp-suited shysters, Carragher strikes a blow for the heroes of yesteryear.

For honest men who think the way fans with a fraction of their talent think, who have only four words to say when offered a generous contract extension: "Give me the pen." Men who don't spout cliches about performances "not being acceptable for a club of this size" but attempt to do something about it.

Carra is one of that rare breed whose desire is not to pine for a bigger stage or wage slip but to pay back their fellow working-class men who have made them so fantastically rich. Oh and he's quite handy at squaring up to muppets in permed wigs too.

Whenever I look at him in the heat of battle I see Tommy Smith, Ian Callaghan, Sammy Lee, John Aldridge, Jimmy Case and Gerry Byrne. Players who were underrated to a criminal degree outside Anfield and who rarely make it into the starting line-ups of most fans' all-time Liverpool XIs. But men who were loved by the Kop because week-in, week-out, they sweated blood for their fellow Scousers. That's why Shankly would have loved him.

Well done Jamie, here's to your next 500 Liverpool games. If not playing in them all, what about managing in the last couple of hundred?

Well can you think of a better man to trust your life with?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Carra is one of that rare breed whose desire is not to pine for a bigger stage or wage slip but to pay back their fellow working-class men who have made them so fantastically rich. Oh and he's quite handy at squaring up to muppets in permed wigs too.

Cracked me up this bit :D  :D  :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:36 pm

:bowdown  Legend.

Good read Scott.
66-1112520797

Postby Big Niall » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:44 pm

Carra has been my favourite LFC player for a long time now. I never heard of Gerry Byrne, maybe we should take him back. :D

I think we'll be telling stories of how fu**ed Carra was in Istanbul and still lunging to get the toe onto the end of Milan's crosses - he was in pain alright.

Seems like a top bloke too - which helps.
Last edited by Big Niall on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:50 pm

Scottbot wrote:Carra is one of that rare breed whose desire is not to pine for a bigger stage or wage slip but to pay back their fellow working-class men who have made them so fantastically rich. Oh and he's quite handy at squaring up to muppets in permed wigs too.

Cracked me up this bit :D  :D  :D

I can't believe the grief fans give him over his England retirement. He performs week in, week out and finally loses patience when he is passed by for yet another hopeless manc player. He's easily in the same class as druggie, Terry and any other English CB. You wouldn't think so given the number of caps he never got
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:34 pm

Big Niall wrote:Carra has been my favourite LFC player for a long time now. I never heard of Gerry Byrne, maybe we should take him back. :D

I think we'll be telling stories of how fu**ed Carra was in Istanbul and still lunging to get the toe onto the end of Milan's crosses - he was in pain alright.

Seems like a top bloke too - which helps.

Never heard of Gerry Byrne, ffs lad . :D
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:40 pm

He is a :censored: boss lad as well, down to earth and well and truly feet on the ground.

Every week he is in the ECHO or Bootle Times at a function with the local kids.

Makes me proud to be a red.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:05 pm

i love this

Carragher stands by his actions
Monday, 14 January 2008 22:40
Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher has defended his actions after confronting Luton Town supporters after last week's FA Cup draw at Kenilworth Road.

Carragher climbed a fence to argue with fans who he claimed swore and threw beer at him as he left the field.

No action was taken against the 30-year-old after neither the Football Association nor the police received any complaints.

Carragher told BBC Radio Five Live: 'A few words were said and someone threw a glass of beer over me, so it wasn't the end of the world but you react in that split second.

'No-one spat at me - I want to put that straight. I don't want whoever did it getting more criticism than necessary.

'I just reacted. People from Liverpool have got something about them and if they're not happy about something they let people know.'

'I just reacted. People from Liverpool have got something about them and if they're not happy about something they let people know.'

look out  yanks
Last edited by lakes10 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:08 pm

i have to say ( and i am big enough and ugly enough to say so ) i was one of the one who after reading the team list use to think oh sh*t is it going to be one of his good games or one of the others

but i have to say when he moved over in to c/d and started to play as he does in every game ( a die hard ) i was looking for his name to be on the team sheet every game

i think him not having the chance to play for england more is a big shame for him ( but for the short sightedness of the few ) he would have been a great player for england

so again i hold my hands up and say sorry to the great man who turned in week in week out and shut me up

long live carra
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:12 pm

Great read.

Looks like Scousers and Basques have some values in common.

About Byrne

Which is the greatest quality of all. He was a true Liverpudlian who couldn't look his fellow Scousers in the face after a game unless he'd given everything he had for 90 minutes."

This is what we call having shame, and speaks volume of that player.

Carra? Legend. End of.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:13 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:He is a :censored: boss lad as well, down to earth and well and truly feet on the ground.

Every week he is in the ECHO or Bootle Times at a function with the local kids.

Makes me proud to be a red.

he got the hump with the Echo last year as every time he done something for the kids they put it in the paper, Some of the stuff he has not asked not to be coverd in the paper.

i understand why he might ask for that.

look at Tom Hanks, he hit the roof when the press found out that he gave away 3mil to help a load of poor kids in America.

some do this stuff as they are just nice , and they dont need it in the press all the time.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:14 pm

He is a one off, you don't get people/players like Carragher everyday, as a young lad when he played in defence with Domanic Matteo I was always on tender hooks cos they were so unpredictable but over the past 8 years he's got better and better which is expected considering he learnt his trade as a defensive midfielder (and player their as England under 21 captain).

He's a credit to the team and the city of Liverpool and long may it continue :)

Jamie Carragher, you sir are a TRUE RED! :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:35 pm

The first time I saw him play was centre midfield and he scored a goal - I remember thinking great to have an attacking midfielder who will score goals.

I should be a scout :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:47 pm

LEGEND

nuff said

:bowdown
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:58 pm

he is better then rio , terry cos he aint a pussie who goes off after a 50/50 tackle cos he got small knock , he is pure class when i have my first boy i gonna tell him to play like carra thats how good he is.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion