Jamie carragher going to world cup

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Aussie Style » Sat May 08, 2010 4:02 am

LONDON, May 8 (Reuters) - Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher is set to end his self-imposed international exile by being included in England's preliminary 30-man World Cup squad, according to several British newspaper reports on Saturday.

The 32-year-old has been sounded out for a possible return and coach Fabio Capello intends to pick him in his squad on Tuesday, the reports said.

The versatile defender won the last of his 34 England caps against Brazil in June 2007 before he made himself unavailable for his country because he felt he was not getting enough chances to play in his favoured centre-back role.

Carragher would give Capello an added option for the World Cup in South Africa next month especially with doubts surrounding the fitness of Rio Ferdinand and the form of John Terry.

England start their campaign against United States in Rustenburg on June 12. Algeria and Slovenia are the other teams in Group C.

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/england/53732/default.aspx
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Sat May 08, 2010 6:41 am

Terribly worded "Jamie Carragher is set to end his self-imposed international exile by being included in England's preliminary 30-man World Cup squad" as if he is picking himself! I think he'd be better off sticking to his guns and not bailing out England. For one his form hasn't been his best, secondly he will have all those who said he 'spat his dummy' on his back so why give them the satisfaction and lastly he will be on a hiding to nothing, England won't win, so what's the gain!?!?! His best hope of playing will only be full-back or if injury comes, while we may rate him higher than other CBs not everyone does and that may well include Cappello. Sure he was justified in being annoyed when not playing ahead of 99th choice CBs, BUT is he a clearer choice in the eyes of the England coach that much will have improved?!
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Sat May 08, 2010 9:42 am

If he fancies it and Capello picks him then i am all for it.
Only for the world cup mind.
Ferdinand is never fit and Terry has been no better than Carra.
Would love to watch him in the summer. At the end of this dismal season its something to look forward to for me.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Sir Roger » Sat May 08, 2010 9:43 am

Haha Fu'ck England. They didnt want him when he was the best CB in Europe. Knobs
:laugh:
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sat May 08, 2010 10:24 am

Anything to take his mind of this last season.....:laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rockthekop » Sat May 08, 2010 10:25 am

He wasn't picked because he had better players ahead of him, Terry and Ferdinand. 

He was good enough to play for England but there was just two players that bit better, possibly three.
Rockthekop

Postby crazyhorse » Sat May 08, 2010 11:04 am

I would be very surprised if he went to the world cup. But if i were Capello I would be begging him to go, for the fact he can play in at least three if not four different positions if called on. Every squad needs a player like him to win the WC. And I would love him to have the chance to have this swan song.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Sat May 08, 2010 11:13 am

Rockthekop wrote:He wasn't picked because he had better players ahead of him, Terry and Ferdinand. 

He was good enough to play for England but there was just two players that bit better, possibly three.

Disagree
At that time I wouldnt have swapped Carra for any of them
Ferdinand is always a second away from a disaster and never puts his head where it can be hurt. Proper shi'thouse and overated for me
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Octsky » Sat May 08, 2010 11:17 am

Terry after his scandal is shockingly poor.
Carra deserved his chance at world's stage. why not?
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby shawnk » Sat May 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:If he fancies it and Capello picks him then i am all for it.
Would love to watch him in the summer. At the end of this dismal season its something to look forward to for me.

In my view, Terry is better than Carra by a mile and I dont just say this after this season.
shawnk

Postby Keris » Sat May 08, 2010 1:00 pm

I'd rather have as many of our players have the summer off.
Better the younger legs go to the world cup for experience or what not.
Rather have Jaime enjoy the sun in Malaga or somewhere :D
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Sat May 08, 2010 1:03 pm

It seem that Fabio Capello contacted him and then met him this week.

good luck to him, we have a good chance of wiining, i think he is picked more for his mind and the fact that he sticks  his body in front of everything that comes his way.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Sat May 08, 2010 1:04 pm

shawnk wrote:

In my view, Terry is better than Carra by a mile and I dont just say this after this season.

I disagree.

On his day and in form Terry is a better player - not by a mile though.
But Terry has been awful this season.
Carra hasnt been by any means great either but i think he has had a better season than Terry.
I am obviously biased though  :D
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby dawson99 » Sat May 08, 2010 1:06 pm

shawnk wrote:

Terry is only made to look good by Cavalio, if you actually watch Terry, all you notice is that hes slower than Carra, and a lot lot dirtier. The sh!t Terry has gotten away with on the pitch the last 2 seasons is a complete disgrace
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat May 08, 2010 1:10 pm

Terry's the best centre half in the Premiership by quite a distance IMHO now Ferdinand is seemingly on the wane with debilitating injuries. I think if we had him we wouldn't be languishing in seventh, we'd be challenging for the title. Yes he's a bit of a toolpiece by all accounts, but he is an excellent defender and without being rude to Carra, is miles ahead of him.

Carra at his best a couple of seasons back was top quality, definately not too far behind Ferdinand and Terry, but right now like Gerrard he doesn't look quite the player he was. That said, if Ferdinand isn't fit (and he rarely is these days) Carra is as good as any of the other options I think. I do like Dawson at Tottenham and think he's developing into a top defender, but he looks like he might give away lots of free kicks against trickier and more crafty opponents. All in all though, after the season we've had you can hardly blame Carra for wanting to finish it off with a bit of excitement. I actually think England will go close to winning it, so he might just get some.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion