Jamie carragher - The holding midfielder?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby deejay-cgt » Tue May 30, 2006 3:47 pm

should play carra in centre def with rio in holding mid because rio better coming forward also rio played good there for man utd when they used him there.
CgT

deejay-cgt

Postby Crouchamania » Tue May 30, 2006 4:24 pm

[quote]Gerrard in that role will stifle all his talents and the glory will go to Lampard again.

No change there then
RIP Drummerphil YNWA

JFT96 Don't buy The S*n

Crouchamania

Postby LFC #1 » Tue May 30, 2006 4:33 pm

Rio would be better there IMO, he has better distribution and ability on the ball. If Rio had the focus and put in I think he could do a good job there for England.

Carragher can probably do a job there, but he's not an international level holding midfielder. Against a top side like Brazil, England will concede a lot of possesion if a player like Carragher is playing the holding role. I agree with st mick, why on earth isn't Parker there? He's a better player than Jenas.

Carragher is a very good player, don't get me wrong. He should be starting at centre-half though, not playing in midfield.
Last edited by LFC #1 on Tue May 30, 2006 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Tue May 30, 2006 4:45 pm

Paul C wrote:He used to play in midfield when he was captain for the under 21's.

Yes...and he used to play as a striker, but you wouldn't want that would you?
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 30, 2006 6:26 pm

dawson99 wrote:houllier didnt do that bad with us and hes not doing bad in france either. tactically thick houllier? i could think of about 5000 worse managers.. and sven is near the top of that list, sven is a n0bber

Actually, I think Azriahmad has a point here Dawson...

Not necessarily about overall tactical acumen, mind, but about playing players out of position:

1) Biscan as a central defender  :oops:

2) Heskey on the left  ???

3) Diouf on the right  :blush:

4) Kewell on the right  :upside:

Like Sven, he had this knack for trying to fit square pegs into round holes.  The Liverpool lads couldn't get their heads around it and I suspect the England stars will have equal difficulty adjusting.

My two cents: play Carrick if you want a 5-man midfield, and Gerrard and Lamps through the middle if its 4-4-2...roll the dice and take your chances (sorry Jamie!)
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby dawson99 » Tue May 30, 2006 6:30 pm

yeah houllier did do some..different things. i just dont like all the houllier bashing lately. diouff was signed before the world cup and we all saw how he played there. there was alot like that and houllier won us a fair few trophies. now hes doing the job in france as well.

the right wing ahs been a problem for us ever since i can remember really and its the same for england on the elft. now we have the players its easier but beni is the master tactician.

houllier wasnt the worst ever tho and i just think its a bit of a dig at a manager who nearly died for us and didnt do THAT bad a job (and, hopefully, will take cisse off our hands in the next few weeks)
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 30, 2006 6:37 pm

dawson99 wrote:yeah houllier did do some..different things. i just dont like all the houllier bashing lately. diouff was signed before the world cup and we all saw how he played there. there was alot like that and houllier won us a fair few trophies. now hes doing the job in france as well.

the right wing ahs been a problem for us ever since i can remember really and its the same for england on the elft. now we have the players its easier but beni is the master tactician.

houllier wasnt the worst ever tho and i just think its a bit of a dig at a manager who nearly died for us and didnt do THAT bad a job (and, hopefully, will take cisse off our hands in the next few weeks)

Fair enough Dawson, mate...

To his credit, Houllier did sign some great players (as discussed in the thread Ciggy started awhile back)...

It just would have been nice if he'd played them in their proper positions, is all!  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby dawson99 » Tue May 30, 2006 6:39 pm

amen brother.

now back to jamie c.
i dont think rio is a better passer of the ball. ive seen so many times when rio has wondered off in a stoned like trance and lost the ball. jamie is consistent. also, he could always switch with the defenders if he needs to. jamie is one of the only players on the pitch who is just as comnfortable left back, right back or centre back. so putting him just in front he is just as much cover for all back positions as he is for sweeping up in front of them
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue May 30, 2006 7:40 pm

Rio Ferdinand doesn’t have the mobility to play in central midfield, that argument should stop now.

I would find it strange if Sven started to using Carragher in that position so late, had he done it in the last couple of England games then it is understandable but it is a risk now, but so many fans moan about him being too safe, well he is taking risks by calling up Walcott and now playing Carragher in central midfield., so they cant complain.

For what its worth I think he can do a good job there, better than King. He is an intelligent player who has played there before, his passing range doesn’t have to be great to play in this position, the fact that Carragher puts an emphasis on keeping it simple means he is suited to the position, Spending his early career playing in central midfield and having loads of games at both left and right back have helped him become much more assured and calm on the ball and with both feet. I just hope he can adapt quickly.
Last edited by Cool Hand Luke on Tue May 30, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Tue May 30, 2006 7:44 pm

i feel sorry for jamie as he has had an outstanding couple of seasons and now is being asked to do a job which he last did at u21 level

he can't say no and the press are already lining up for a sh.it storm against any easy targets i.e a player out of position

he won't put ferdiand there as he is one of svens bum boys even though he is better suited to the temp job, carra is a lamb to the slaughter even if this game goes well he might have to play some of the worlds best midfielders

sven is gutless and dosn't give a monkies  carra ynwa
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Tue May 30, 2006 7:46 pm

dawson99 wrote:...hopefully, will take cisse off our hands in the next few weeks

don't forget to bid high for Troare and Cheyrou too :eyebrow
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Tue May 30, 2006 7:48 pm

redmikey wrote:...carra is a lamb to the slaughter

Have faith in Carra...honestly how many of us would have thought he will do a good job for us playing left back a couple of season back?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue May 30, 2006 7:50 pm

stmichael wrote:this decision makes it even more ridiculous that scott parker isn't in the squad. he's by far the best holding midfielder in england. carrick doesn't put his foot in enough for me.

Parker isn’t even a holding midfield player, for some reason he has been deployed as one since he left Charlton. Anyone who saw him at Charlton will tell you that he is a box to box central midfielder, he has been wasted since he left Charlton, next season he will return to his best role for Newcastle, he is a poor “anchor man”, its just not his role.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue May 30, 2006 7:56 pm

I think he will do a good job tonight, don’t expect him to shine, its not his job to shine, his job is to do the simple things supremely well, slow down opposition counter attacks when short at the back, provide a barrier for the centre backs, fill in when full backs surge forward, start of attacking moves by playing simple passes to people in better positions, not over committing in the tackle, not leaving gaps in central midfield, etc. His job isn’t to send racking 50 yard passes, did Hamann do this? No, but he was a fabulous player for us, this role is all about doing the simple things supremely well, and I think Carragher will do this.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GunGod » Tue May 30, 2006 8:37 pm

The reason why Sven chose to deploy Carra instead of Rio in the DM position is probably bcos Rio can head much better than Carra..which is almost a neccessity for a CB. While Terry heads exceptionally well, he isn't exactly the tallest on the field. Same goes for Carra. Thus either Rio or Sol for their height will partner Terry.
GunGod

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion