Jamie carragher - Class!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby XSD » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:48 am

I don't think Pellegrino is ready to have a long stint in the team, he isn't fully match fit, could pick up an injury and is definetely getting older.
Last edited by XSD on Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:09 am

Carra has been our player of the season for me as he is a model of consistency, commitment, passion and really embodies all of the qualities of a Liverpool born and bred player. He may not be the quickest but he has really improved his game and made a solid transition into a centreback.

I was very doubtful of his ability to become a good centreback earlier on when we had much trouble adapting to the zonal marking system but Carra's consistency this season is on of the few highlights of this present campaign for me.

Way to go, Carra!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:09 am

It's fantastic how well he's come on this season, but if I can pick up on a point I made in another thread...

Given our injury list, against Bolton we're going to have to reshuffle to the point where Carra may well be called upon to play left back. Personally, I'd rather that Riise was used there, and have Carra as a defensive central midfielder alongside either Biscan or Gerrard. He could certainly do a job there.

And before you moan, look down the first team squad list and see who's available for selection. In my estimation, at least two players are going to have to play out of their favoured positions against Bolton, and at the moment I trust Jamie to be one of them more than I trust, say, Nunez or Smicer. I'm talking about him in a block, tackle, simple pass role, not dissimilar to that which Hamann's done so well, and from what I understand it's a role Carra performed very well at youth level.

(Incidentally, anyone considering shooting me down on this may want to consider the fact that I repeatedly called for Carra to be given a run in central defence last season - to hoots of derision - much like the response to my persistent calls for Riise to be tried as a left winger :D)
ivor_the_injun

Postby azriahmad » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:41 am

Bolton are a side full of energy who close down opponents and harry them for the full 90 minutes. They would be very physical and robust but not quite as rough as Blackburn or Everton but against them, our players tend to have a lot of problems getting any kind of rythm, let alone string along probing passes.

This will be a very tough game.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:50 am

No question we are all running out of superlatives for Carra. Fantastic player and no doubt a big presence in the dressing room aswell. I think Pelligrino is just beginning to look the part also. Clearly he is not the long-term solution to a gap we have (and on the Hyppia debate I sit on the "well past his best" side of the fence), he clearly has been an absolutely top-class defender in his prime. I reckon at his age we are probably seeing a player at no more than 70 or 80% of his best, and he still has enough know-how and talent to look quality. There was some talk of Rafa keeping him on as some sort of defensive coach at the end of his contract and that is increasingly looking like a sensible option.
Put it this way, if Rafa can conjure up a similar 26 year old replacement from Argentina when he does pack it in I'd be well happy.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:26 am

Saw a bit of an interview on sky at the weekend . When asked if he'd ever considered moving to a bigger club ,Carra replied  "Bigger club ? , there's clubs with more money but there's no club bigger than Liverpool ! "

Says it all about the fella , deffo our next captain .   :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby andy_g » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:36 am

the moment when gerrard handed carra the MOM champagne after the game yesterday was priceless! i reckon stevie thought he'd done enough to get it himself.

:laugh:

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:37 am

woof woof ! wrote:Saw a bit of an interview on sky at the weekend . When asked if he'd ever considered moving to a bigger club ,Carra replied  "Bigger club ? , there's clubs with more money but there's no club bigger than Liverpool ! "

Says it all about the fella , deffo our next captain .   :)

Did he say that with Gerrard standing beside him after the match?  If so, I wonder if it was a little hint to Stevie!
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:41 am

No it was prior to the game ,but no doubt he let stevie know more than once , remember he was on the verge of twa'tin' Stevie G in euro 2004 when he heard that Gerrard was planning to leave LFC. (at least that was the rumour  :D  )

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby hawkmoon269 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:43 am

woof woof ! wrote:No it was prior to the game ,but no doubt he let stevie know more than once , remember he was on the verge of twa'tin' Stevie G in euro 2004 when he heard that Gerrard was planning to leave LFC. (at least that was the rumour  :D  )

Can you imagine what Liverpool could do if every player gave as much as Carra?   :D
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RifleRusher » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:49 am

Carra, always giving his best... never stop pressing, not giving up... has the right attitude... so inspirational... absolutely the best centre half... and always a red... just amazing, keep going carra!!!! :;):
RifleRusher

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:51 am

Thats one of the biggest changes in football over the last decade (not just LFC) as teams become more cosmopolitan the desire to give 100% every game is not always evident in players from another town or country .  :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:55 am

At the start of the season I doubted Carraghers ability and saw him as a squad player albeit a good squad player and I have been proved wrong and am delighted to have been proved wrong

The guy is solid both physically and mentally and long may it continue :)
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:11 pm

Like you Taff I always saw the fella as a decent fullback and no more . Since his move to the centre of the defence however he has been immense. A lot of pundits are now putting him alongside Ferdinand and Terry as one of Englands best three in that position .
:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:21 pm

Well to bore you with Rugby talk

Weve always had extremely talented players I guess its a genetic thing  :D 

Three years ago we had a Kiwi coach Steve Hansen who simply did not care about results and knew he was leaving at the end of his contract so he got a young group of players together and ruthlessly binned players who were not fit or professional enough. He gelled them into a team and planeed long term only not short term gain. Now that irritated us when we took some beatings but he stuck by his guns improved us then left.  He left a hardened team of youngsters fitter than any Welsh team has ever been and they then became Kings of Europe  :D

We have players in the leagues who are more gifted than the ones in the National Team but without the professionalism and sheer pig headed will to win.  These guys now although not as good as the media make out are extremely professional and determined to improve and will fight and die for each other

I see Carragher this season like that. Yes there are faster players and more talented players but will to win and commitment he is the man.

If I was a talented midfielder for Liverpool I would sit in the dressing room before kick off and look at him and think Thank God he's on my side.  I think the same about Martin Johnson and you cant get a better compliment than that  :)
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion