Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby RedAnt » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:45 pm

Stu the Red » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:57 am wrote:
RedAnt » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:48 am wrote:

Why include Carroll? Ok, BR didn't sign him, but he cost £35m and the first thing BR did was show him the door. That, for me, was the first example of what Brendan's like as a manager. The "vision" was in BR's head, Carroll wasn't part of it and never would be. A key example of a lack of adaptability. I'd say adaptability is very important for a PL manager.
It was a £20m loss right away.

I personally have no problem with though, Carroll was a donkey and never upto it, not to mention if he doesn't fit then get shut. Can't say I have any problem with the loss made on Carroll or situation he left in with regards to the manager. I'm not a Rodgers fan, but thats one stick I wouldn't use to beat him with. Had i been in that siutation he'd have also been the first name out of the door.

Whilst I agree in hindsight that shifting Carroll on was the right thing to do, my comment was more to point out BR's arrogance again. He could, also in hindsight, say it was the right decision, but I doubt it was due to Brendan's vision, knowledge or talent spotting or no-talent spotting). Rodgers decision in Andy was made very quickly.
He didn't fit the vision. Fair enough. But look at some of the players who've been brought in instead. Lazy Mario and static Lambert to name two. Lucas and Borini are still here and actually playing! It's amazing really. He's had long enough now in the job that we can safely say the team that runs onto the field is BR's team.
He got rid of Carroll sharp enough, so why is there so much dead wood knocking about still?

I read today that the owners are impressed that BR has shouldered responsibility. What the f***? He pointed the finger at everyone but himself until someone whispered in his ear. Now he's being the big man and holding his hands up? We already knew where the blame lay.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:58 pm

The owners are cutting him a bit of slack because they know he isn't solely responsible for the signings
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:01 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:58 pm wrote:The owners are cutting him a bit of slack because they know he isn't solely responsible for the signings

He wouldn't take the job if we had a director of football. He must be held 90% accountable. 

They're cutting him slack because after last season he's bought himself some time to sort it out.
Kopite-Jud

Postby RedAnt » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:37 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:58 pm wrote:The owners are cutting him a bit of slack because they know he isn't solely responsible for the signings

He should be held accountable, but others should take blame too, sure. Brendan Rodgers and his CV isn't a name that will have the best players rushing to sign. And any big names who looked our way after last season will have quickly looked the other way after seeing the post-Suarez team. It's the owners who appointed the little-known Rodgers, and apparently there's a transfer committee so there's some shared blame.
But who to blame for the way the team is playing? The lack of unity and team spirit? The square pegs in round holes? The insistence on sticking with systems that clearly don't work?
Who let Borini stay when he was told to go?
After so much investment in a youth academy, why play dead wood whilst neglecting our 'excellent' youth set up with its wide revolving doors?
But even with all our problems, the main man, Brendan Rodgers, should be able to get something out of the players we have. Until recently though he's blamed all the players for failing to fit his philosophy. Why? I imagine his voice on the transfer committee would be one of the louder ones.
He should stay out of the press and work on creating team spirit and harmony. If the team didn't so consistently bow out without so much as even a whimper, BR would get more support. There's nothing to cheer for at the moment and as Jud said, BR must shoulder the lions share of accountability.
RedAnt

Postby Reg » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:50 pm

Lets just hope as a bare minimum that BR has been given the shock of his life and he'll learn the lesson and change his philosophy.

Ferguson did and see what he produced.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:53 pm

FSG will be watching all of this and making notes.

And make no mistake, they will be holding BR responsible.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:19 pm

He needs to learn how to adapt and evolve with the team and the lay of the land instead of this unmoving attitude that requires players to change. If he can't adapt tmhen how can he expect players to adapt?
He's the managerial equivalent of Hendo. I said elsewhere about Hendo...watch him. He's slow and uncomfortable playing a quick game. BR wants us to play fast and decisively but when the ball gets to Henderson, he invariably slows the game down to his comfort level which gives the illusion that the lad can play. I'm not sure BR has even identified the issue. How can we play quick possession football with Jordan Henderson in the engine room? And to have Gerrard, Lucas and Allen alongside him?
BRs focus for now should be on team spirit, the backs to the wall-us against the world attitude. If he can do that by January then... well, I dunno. There's no money available is there? And if there is, will he be entrusted with it? I'm not sure. To be in the position we're in before January doesn't bode well. How did it come to this?
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:30 pm

Kopite-Jud » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:01 pm wrote:

He wouldn't take the job if we had a director of football. He must be held 90% accountable. 

They're cutting him slack because after last season he's bought himself some time to sort it out.

But that's what it says in tonight's echo mate, he's been cut some slack because the owners understand he is not solely responsible for transfers.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:35 pm

7_Kewell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:53 pm wrote:FSG will be watching all of this and making notes.

In tonight's echo they are backing him 100%, they say they understand that he's not solely responsible for transfers and they think he's a tremendous coach and man manager.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedAnt » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:56 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:35 pm wrote:
7_Kewell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:53 pm wrote:FSG will be watching all of this and making notes.

In tonight's echo they are backing him 100%, they say they understand that he's not solely responsible for transfers and they think he's a tremendous coach and man manager.

A shame there's more to football management than coaching and man-management.

I feel a tad sorry for Rodgers. Older managers like whiskey nose and Winger have the luxury of experience. BR needs to learn and quickly. A young manager can find himself destroyed by pressure and expectation just as easily as any of the many, many promising young players who end up losing their way. Mind, LFC has a bit of previous when it comes to derailing the young. We've also had successes of course, but as the years pass, these seem few and far between. Nobody here needs me to list the greats we've produced over the years but I can't see where the next Owen or Macca will come from.

BR should look to the academy. He may find salvation there.
RedAnt

Postby Boocity » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:59 pm

So all the blames going on the transfers and not his man management and coaching skills that can't get the best out of them. That kind of talk is not going to instill confidence in the new players is it.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:16 pm

In laymen's terms...... The gist of it is ,they firmly believe he possesses the football acumen to turn our season around .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:07 pm

according to a few ITKs Brendan will be gone as soon as a replacement is found

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:11 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Nov 25th, '14, 17:16 wrote:

In laymen's terms...... The gist of it is ,they firmly believe he possesses the football acumen to turn our season around .

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I mean, what else can they say, 'since the start of the season, his coaching methods have proven to be awful, he doesn't know his best 11, he has no idea when to change things to move the Club forward, and instead continues with the same way of playing each week etc etc'     Imo, and a lot of other LFC fans as well, it could be the 'dreaded vote of confidence'.

From what I hear, the Echo report what they have been asked to write, which is, for want of better words, 'not always the correct information'. I think FSG have already started looking for alternatives or at least to make appropriate changes to relevant staff.  I still think he'll be gone before Christmas.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:55 pm

Kash_Mountain » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:11 pm wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I mean, what else can they say, 'since the start of the season, his coaching methods have proven to be awful, he doesn't know his best 11, he has no idea when to change things to move the Club forward, and instead continues with the same way of playing each week etc etc'     Imo, and a lot of other LFC fans as well, it could be the 'dreaded vote of confidence'.

From what I hear, the Echo report what they have been asked to write, which is, for want of better words, 'not always the correct information'. I think FSG have already started looking for alternatives or at least to make appropriate changes to relevant staff.  I still think he'll be gone before Christmas.

I'm simply stating what was printed ,not attempting to read between the lines ,my own belief in Rodgers is on shaky ground after witnessing that complete
sham at Selhurst ,but that's for me to wrestle with.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion