Transfer policy still a shambles!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby andy_g » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:20 pm

i don't understand why some are so upset about spending 20 million or so on strikers (following bony rumours and all that) to sit on the bench. i can only assume they're happy with borini and aspas as the options to bring on when sturridge is injured or knackered after playing 3 games a week.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:27 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:53 pm wrote:A lot of fans have got serious reservations about our transfer committee's ability to sign the right players though.
We spent £50m last summer on Mingolet, Sakho, Aspas, Alberto and Ilorri (and brought Moses and Cissokho in on loan).
The summer before that we spent £30m+ on Allen, Borini, Assaidi and Yesil (and brought Sahin in on loan)
Of that £80m+ spent all we have to show is a shaky keeper, a decent back up midfielder (Allen) and a CB that the jury is still out on (Sakho).

i think you are being a little unfair and impatient there, yakka. and thats not meant to be a character assassination, by the way. out of all those its only aspas, borini, assaidi who i think have no future with us. mignolet will improve (but could also be improved on), sakho is going te be a solid player for us, alberto has promise and a loan will do him (and us) good, ilori, in my opinion, is a very good player who could serve us for a long time, allen is a valuable squad player and yesil has promise as well.

ilori could come in and improve the squad and improve the team in cup competitions this season, alberto and yesil can do the same in one or two season's time.

i think that this whole 'buying for the future' thing is an important part of transfer strategy and all clubs do it. it also entails a certain degree of gamble but when it pays off you can get a very good player on your books for minimal outlay.

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:42 pm

We still spent £80m though mate and have very little to show for it. You mention buying for the future but let's face it apart from Ilorri the others aren't good enough and even he was sent out on loan before kicking a ball for us. There's no guarantee that he'll end up in the first team.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:23 pm

I would sooner spend 20mil on Bony, a player who is hungry and the right age, has shown he can adapt to this league and score goals, who plays in a team who play a similar style to us, and whose strength, finishing and link-up play I consider to be very impressive, than spend twice that on someone like Benzema, Higuain etc (who probably wouldn't even want to come here anyway), who may not adapt to the style of football here, leaving us with a Soldado or Lamela situation.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:41 pm

JC_81 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:23 pm wrote:I would sooner spend 20mil on Bony, a player who is hungry and the right age, has shown he can adapt to this league and score goals, who plays in a team who play a similar style to us, and whose strength, finishing and link-up play I consider to be very impressive, than spend twice that on someone like Benzema, Higuain etc (who probably wouldn't even want to come here anyway), who may not adapt to the style of football here, leaving us with a Soldado or Lamela situation.

Do you think Bony is better than Sturridge?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby andy_g » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:48 pm

i think bony is an excellent player. his almost languid style seems almost reminiscent of berbatov at times, but its very deceptive. he's sharp and clever in his link up play, has a great first touch, a venemous shot and is more of an aerial threat than anyone else we have. he's also as strong as an ox and very difficult to get the ball off.

i think that in our set up he'd be about as good as sturridge, and maybe better, or more suitable, when we're battling.

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:54 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:41 pm wrote:
JC_81 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:23 pm wrote:I would sooner spend 20mil on Bony, a player who is hungry and the right age, has shown he can adapt to this league and score goals, who plays in a team who play a similar style to us, and whose strength, finishing and link-up play I consider to be very impressive, than spend twice that on someone like Benzema, Higuain etc (who probably wouldn't even want to come here anyway), who may not adapt to the style of football here, leaving us with a Soldado or Lamela situation.

I don't think there's much in it at the moment Yakka.  Playing in a better side could bring Bony on even more though.  Even though he's a year older than Sturridge I think he's possibly got more chance of stepping up to the next level given the right environment.

I think the two are different enough that they could also play in a front two if required.

Honestly mate, I think Bony might surprise you if he comes here.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:00 pm

I personally rate Bony but don't think that we need him. JC made a good point that if Sturridge gets injured (which is very likely) we'll have to rely on a 32 year old Lambert, but I don't think that that's a good enough reason to spend 20 million for Bony. Would rather spend 8-10 million on Remy instead and keep the rest for an expensive goal scoring winger. As good as Markovic and Lallana are there aren't enough goals in them IMO.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:32 pm

JC_81 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:54 pm wrote:

I don't think there's much in it at the moment Yakka.  Playing in a better side could bring Bony on even more though.  Even though he's a year older than Sturridge I think he's possibly got more chance of stepping up to the next level given the right environment.

I think the two are different enough that they could also play in a front two if required.

They won't play in a front two mate, Rodgers likes to play 443 and with us buying 2 wide forwards (Lallana and Markovic) I can't see that changing any time soon.
That will mean that Sturridge and Bony will be battling it out for the lone CF spot and if Bony loses out (which I think he will, he's not as good as Sturridge IMO) we will have another £20m sitting on the bench to add to the £80m we've frittered away over the last 2 summers.
It's too much money to spend on a back up, especially when there are other area's of the team that need strengthening.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:11 pm

JC_81 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:54 pm wrote:

I'm not being funny, I'm no massive Sturridge fan but is this a joke? Bony's at best average.

He's average technically and shows very average intelligence, he's quite strong and decent in the air, apart from that I'd be fuming if if we signed him quite frankly.

The last thing we need now is more average players.

We need to replace Suarez with someone of genuine class. My shout is Tevez.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:13 pm

Yakka it's naïve to think Rodgers will play the same formation week after week.  We will definitely go with a front 2 on occasion next season depending on the opponent and you can quote me on that.

3-5-2 and 4-4-2 diamond were both employed a lot last season, the former before Christmas and the latter in the run-in.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:16 pm

Fair enough Stu... maybe he'll eventually find his level in the Championship like Sterling mate :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:17 pm

JC_81 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:13 pm wrote:Yakka it's naïve to think Rodgers will play the same formation week after week.  We will definitely go with a front 2 on occasion next season depending on the opponent and you can quote me on that.

3-5-2 and 4-4-2 diamond were both employed a lot last season, the former before Christmas and the latter in the run-in.

Next season it doesn't matter what formations we play as the current squad is quite frankly nowhere near upto it.

We have a lower mid table keeper, a very average defence, a slightly above average midfield and now we have a slightly above average attack instead of a world class one.

Great. 5 steps forward, seven steps back. Typical Liverpool.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:19 pm

Stu the Red » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:11 pm wrote:
We need to replace Suarez with someone of genuine class. My shout is Tevez.

I started to laugh at this, then thought ..........you know what ? it's not a bad shout, provided we're just looking for a short term fix.

But I doubt our "comittee" or Tevez's  current club would even consider it.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:19 pm

Fk sake Stu lad get a grip... we are nowhere near that bad!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion