LIVERPOOL vs Man City - Sun 13th April 2014 - KO 13.37

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby damjan193 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:14 pm

damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:41 am

Bit early for that type of thing, if Chelsea get a draw at Anfield (which is not beyond the realms of possibility considering they went to the Etihad and played City off the park) then it's back in City's hands.
Palace are the new Stoke as well, it won't be easy getting 3 points from there (which we have to do to keep our destiny in our own hands).
This is far from done and dusted
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Good Yank » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:51 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:41 pm wrote:This is far from done and dusted

True.  But it's closer than it was.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:03 am

The Good Yank » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:51 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:41 pm wrote:This is far from done and dusted

True.  But it's closer than it was.

As someone who was at Anfield that Friday night in 1989 when Mickey Thomas scored with practically the last kick of the season believe me there's still a long way to go yet.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:12 am

4 games away from immortality.

:buttrock
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby devaney » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:01 am

What a day, Liverpool and Man City wake up the country and Chelsea and Swansea put them to sleep !!! It goes without saying that a large element of Chelsea supporters are disgusting but even by their incredibly low  standards their behaviour during the Hillsborough minutes silence which was simply a repeat of what they did in 2012 went a very long way to confirm what a pathetic collection of morons they really are !!! The Man City supporters showed some real class and were extremely respectful. Chelsea on the other hand didn't really surprise anybody with their crass behaviour. I hope it comes back to haunt them on the 27th.

What a game. Incredible performance by the team especially in the first half.

Coutinho, Sterling, Skrtel and Gerrard deserve special mentions. I have said for a very long time that Gerrard is not simply about footballing skills. He very presence is vital to the team and yesterday he proved that in bucket loads. Grit and desire as well as a shed load of skill might just win us this title.

Raheem you really are a little star. Brilliant goal and fantastic work rate and not frightened to go in on them very hard. Most improved player of the season.

Phillippe Coutinho for me was MOTM. He just doesn't stop. Creative play is amazing. Tackling was dynamic. And his goal was absolutely brilliant.

Martin Skrtel also had a great game and score a superb goal. He wasn't quite as good in the second half but he still did a very good job under immense pressure.

Luis had a bit of a tricky day and was a bit too pumped. Brilliant assist and lots of impressive stuff during the game.

JUST A GREAT DAY !!!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:57 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:03 am wrote:As someone who was at Anfield that Friday night in 1989 when Mickey Thomas scored with practically the last kick of the season believe me there's still a long way to go yet.

Oh don't mention that nightmare again...when Mickey skipped past Stevie Nicol with only Brucie to beat, that was the longest 3 seconds in my life...it still goes in slow motion till today, and I remembered the boys in red shirt all sunk to their feet in despair.  :no

But from the look of this team, they do have a certain grit and a never said die attitude in them, probably comes from the self confidence of this team. As Rogers said it...they do have "a certain swagger on the ball", and it will take a brave man to bet against us for the title this year.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:20 am

Nerves are shot after that.

The players showed unbelievable bottle to get that winner after losing the 2 goal lead.
They have been doing it all season and it is something that we havent done over the last 20 years.

Sterling was outstanding, if I was Rodgers i'd be saying to Sturridge - watch that kids performance in a high pressure game and try and play for the team like he does.
He works so hard and doesnt give the ball away, his game inteligence is phenomenal for someone so young.

I went up the ground early to see the coach get to the ground and it was bouncing round the ground by 11 o clock.
You could see the players filming it on their phones.
Our fans where outstanding, we are doing all we can to get the reds over the line.

Gerrards huddle at the end almost had me in tears I was that wound up and emotional.

4 games to go, we can do this.

I am going down to Palace without a ticket just to be with the fans, it will be crazy down there.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:11 am

I want to give a mention to Talksport here...

I knew I was going to miss out on watching this game as I was driving back home, I had the radio on Talksport and in the build up to the game they focused on the Hillsborough Tragedy quite a bit. They read ALL 96 names out on the radio, one by one.  Then I listened as Stuart Pearce gave his account of the day, they talked about Kenny attending all the funerals. I was close to tears on a few occasions.

Then they switched over to Anfield Road as the team coach arrived, fans lining the streets, cheering, singing...   

I was charged up, I was driving long distance but the miles just disappeared in front of me. The emotion I had in me was electrifying.
Then they went into Anfield for the commentary. They described the moment when rush and Kenny met the 2 ex man city players to collect a wreath of 96 red/blue roses. Then something happened that I'll never forget...    the commentary team of TalkSport went silent as Anfield sang "You'll Never Walk Alone" ...   I had to pull in to a petrol Station, I couldn't see where I was going for tears.

But the minutes silence before kick off had me actually sobbing, on my own, sat in my car - anyone who saw me must've thought I'd had some bad news or my missus had run off with another fella or summat...

Nah, nothing like that, I'm just a member of the best family in the world, Liverpool FC.

Just my take on a truly emotion charged day. We did what we needed to do, won the game and now we might just be living the dream.

YNWA
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Homebooby » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:09 pm

Been quiet again from me recently again :), just quietly watching our progress and enjoying every moment. As I have mentioned before, I am not a scouser, but I've been following this team in red who seemed to be winning all the time on The Big Match on Sundays since I was about 3 yrs old. Whilst I can't claim the connections some of you lot on here can to the club, it is the only club I have ever supported through thick and thin. I was 10 when Heysel happened and can't really say that it fully registered, but Hillsborough did. It takes me back straight to where I was with my mum and dad that Saturday afternoon and I remember hearing on the radio as clear as day and the subsequent TV coverage, it was really the first experience that registered personally with me from something that I had seen happen elsewhere. I don't know if that means i wasn't the brightest or most aware growing up that it took till 14 for this to happen, but it's something that shoots me back to that time every time I hear/see anyone, especially Kenny and Alan Hansen talking about it. They were my first heroes and it was a very hard thing to see.

I had the same feelings this weekend and the sound that was coming out of the TV speakers from stadium from the singing to the silence to the roar of the crowd for the first 10 mins or so sent shivers down my spine and I had tears in my eyes multiple times. I used to watch the footy with my dad and when he died in '94 at the age of 45 it was a really tough time. For the longest time I couldn't enjoy watching football as I missed the banter too much, it just felt an empty experience and wasn't helped by the fact that the team I loved was slowly disintegrating in front of me, but I always kept an eye on what was going on despite that. Since then almost everyone except my sister has passed on and it all caught up with me yesterday remembering such an unhappy time which conversely was still a happy time for me as I still had everyone around if that makes any sense. I missed not being able to share yesterday with them from start to finish. Not the same as the Liverpool locals, but my own personal moment  :D

If my mum was alive she'd have been saying for the past 2 months already that it's written in the stars for us and it's our year (she was rarely wrong) and I've been believing that for some time now, though I daren't say it out loud too much. Feet still firmly on the ground, but there is definitely something about the squad at this time. We look strong and confident and we don't seem to know when we're beaten. This is what I remember from my childhood when Liverpool not winning was a concept that didn't even enter into my mind, it was always just a matter of time. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried in the 2nd half and was surprised we didn't tighten up the midfleld as soon as Milner came on, he was the game changer for me and we only contained it when Sturridge went off. That said, I never got to the sinking feeling that I have known for so long.

These games are cup finals and it doesn't really matter how we played on the day, the result is the most important and I am sure the event of the day had an impact y'day. I expect/hope that we're back to normal service next week against Norwich. All tough games, but there is really no reason why we can't win all 4 of these. It looks like the team believes.

As for SAS, it was interesting to watch. Just goes to show that Sturridge is still a young guy (don't forget his age) and Suarez has come a long way in maturing, but still has a long way to go. Hopefully this is a learning experience for them both and we see them firing again next week. We've been so spoiled by the 2 of them this season, there's no way we can point a finger at them in my opinion.

The pragmatist says this has been a brilliant season to watch the rebirth of a football style and attitude that we can be proud of and that we all fell in love with. The realist says that we'll all be gutted if we don't get over the line first. I wonder if we'll ever get a better chance than now.
Homebooby

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:51 pm

first off Homebooby...  your a reds fan so your in the club regardless where you reside from. You support the club don't you? well there you go.

As for having a better chance of winning the league, next season I think we'll win it again. honestly, if we finish 2nd this season or 1st I can see small tweaks over summer, 2 or 3 new faces in the team and maybe a couple of squad players to bulk up a bit, I can see us dominating again for at least 10 years or more
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:32 pm

Homebooby » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:09 pm wrote:Been quiet again from me recently again :), just quietly watching our progress and enjoying every moment. As I have mentioned before, I am not a scouser, but I've been following this team in red who seemed to be winning all the time on The Big Match on Sundays since I was about 3 yrs old. Whilst I can't claim the connections some of you lot on here can to the club, it is the only club I have ever supported through thick and thin. I was 10 when Heysel happened and can't really say that it fully registered, but Hillsborough did. It takes me back straight to where I was with my mum and dad that Saturday afternoon and I remember hearing on the radio as clear as day and the subsequent TV coverage, it was really the first experience that registered personally with me from something that I had seen happen elsewhere. I don't know if that means i wasn't the brightest or most aware growing up that it took till 14 for this to happen, but it's something that shoots me back to that time every time I hear/see anyone, especially Kenny and Alan Hansen talking about it. They were my first heroes and it was a very hard thing to see.

I had the same feelings this weekend and the sound that was coming out of the TV speakers from stadium from the singing to the silence to the roar of the crowd for the first 10 mins or so sent shivers down my spine and I had tears in my eyes multiple times. I used to watch the footy with my dad and when he died in '94 at the age of 45 it was a really tough time. For the longest time I couldn't enjoy watching football as I missed the banter too much, it just felt an empty experience and wasn't helped by the fact that the team I loved was slowly disintegrating in front of me, but I always kept an eye on what was going on despite that. Since then almost everyone except my sister has passed on and it all caught up with me yesterday remembering such an unhappy time which conversely was still a happy time for me as I still had everyone around if that makes any sense. I missed not being able to share yesterday with them from start to finish. Not the same as the Liverpool locals, but my own personal moment  :D

If my mum was alive she'd have been saying for the past 2 months already that it's written in the stars for us and it's our year (she was rarely wrong) and I've been believing that for some time now, though I daren't say it out loud too much. Feet still firmly on the ground, but there is definitely something about the squad at this time. We look strong and confident and we don't seem to know when we're beaten. This is what I remember from my childhood when Liverpool not winning was a concept that didn't even enter into my mind, it was always just a matter of time. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried in the 2nd half and was surprised we didn't tighten up the midfleld as soon as Milner came on, he was the game changer for me and we only contained it when Sturridge went off. That said, I never got to the sinking feeling that I have known for so long.

These games are cup finals and it doesn't really matter how we played on the day, the result is the most important and I am sure the event of the day had an impact y'day. I expect/hope that we're back to normal service next week against Norwich. All tough games, but there is really no reason why we can't win all 4 of these. It looks like the team believes.

As for SAS, it was interesting to watch. Just goes to show that Sturridge is still a young guy (don't forget his age) and Suarez has come a long way in maturing, but still has a long way to go. Hopefully this is a learning experience for them both and we see them firing again next week. We've been so spoiled by the 2 of them this season, there's no way we can point a finger at them in my opinion.

The pragmatist says this has been a brilliant season to watch the rebirth of a football style and attitude that we can be proud of and that we all fell in love with. The realist says that we'll all be gutted if we don't get over the line first. I wonder if we'll ever get a better chance than now.

Heartfelt post Homebooby  :bowdown , don't be a stranger, more posts please mate.

ps. Your immediate family all seem to have passed on at an early age, is there something you're not telling us ?  :D

(sincerely hope it's not too soon for dark humour and even more sincere apologies if it is)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Homebooby » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:38 pm

You're good Woof :). That's why I am so keen for them to win this season, who knows if I'll be around myself next season :)
Homebooby

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:14 pm

Homebooby » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:38 pm wrote:You're good Woof :). That's why I am so keen for them to win this season, who knows if I'll be around myself next season :)

Same here mate. Knocking on a bit and these last few years was beginning to think I'd probably see the undertaker before I saw us get this close to the title   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Homebooby » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:04 pm

Given the level of tension and anxiety for these last few games, it could see a few of us off :)
Homebooby

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games