Glen johnson out........a good thing? i think so

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby devaney » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:11 am

Kenny Kan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:43 am wrote:
Fowler_E7 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:02 pm wrote:Johnson is an excellent right back, very rounded in that he can do a bit of everything. Excellent athlete and a massive threat going forward, gets a lot of unfair criticism in my opinion.

This.

Again.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:28 am

Fascinating stuff when only last season a lot of supporters considered it one of his best. Reigniting such a miserable thread after three years especially when Glen had such a good game against United is a bit shitty. Can be frustrating I know but some of the criticism is completely over the top.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby redno7 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:14 am

StuYesThatStu » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:05 pm wrote:
Fowler_E7 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:02 pm wrote:Johnson is an excellent right back, very rounded in that he can do a bit of everything. Excellent athlete and a massive threat going forward, gets a lot of unfair criticism in my opinion.

Doesn't get enough for me  :D

can we get shut of this idiot once and for all? I don't know who the fuk you think you are but quite frankly I find you irritating as hell coming on here and abusing our team and our players. then passing it off as though it's a big laugh!
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:43 am

redno7 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:14 am wrote:
Fowler_E7 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:02 pm wrote:Johnson is an excellent right back, very rounded in that he can do a bit of everything. Excellent athlete and a massive threat going forward, gets a lot of unfair criticism in my opinion.

can we get shut of this idiot once and for all? I don't know who the fuk you think you are but quite frankly I find you irritating as hell coming on here and abusing our team and our players. then passing it off as though it's a big laugh!

He should be entitled to his opinion Lee, even if I, you or anyone else doesn't agree with it.

Stu doesn't  strike me as a poster who revels in defeat, failed transfer dealings, doom mongering, or even lash out at our pre-season fixture list as any evil ploy by Rodgers to lead the fans into a false sense of security (that one was a whopper  :laugh: ), or anything else that isn't good for the club just to say 'I told you so'.

To put it bluntly Lee, I don't think he has an agenda of any kind and isn't intentionally winding people up.

It's good for discussion in all honesty mate.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby redno7 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:21 am

:wwww  another one on ignore then. it's lonely around here with everyone who annoys me on ignore.  :laugh:
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:25 am

Going back into this...

A massive threat going forward?

Look at his assists and goal stats.

Now obviously, I'm not going to use that as the only arguement as stats can, at times be mis-leading... but in this case they very much back up what I, and alot of other people can see.

The main issues I have with him are his shocking decisions and his absoloutely woeful ability to pass a ball to a team mate and play a pass that doesn't slow the game down.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:27 am

redno7 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:14 am wrote:

Internet gangster alert...

:buttrock
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:32 am

StuYesThatStu » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:25 am wrote:

Going back into this...

Now obviously, I'm not going to use that as the only arguement as stats can, at times be mis-leading... but in this case they very much back up what I, and alot of other people can see.

The main issues I have with him are his shocking decisions and his absoloutely woeful ability to pass a ball to a team mate and play a pass that doesn't slow the game down.

He has been first choice RB since Benitez signed him, every manager has picked him and at no point attempted to sign a replacement. He has also been the national team first choice RB, for god knows how long. So that is Benitez, Hodgson, Capello, Dalglish and Rodgers.

If he really was as bad as you say, do you not think that one of the above managers would have seen it and acted on it??
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:44 am

SouthCoastShankly » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:32 am wrote:
StuYesThatStu » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:25 am wrote:

Going back into this...

He has been first choice RB since Benitez signed him, every manager has picked him and at no point attempted to sign a replacement. He has also been the national team first choice RB, for god knows how long. So that is Benitez, Hodgson, Capello, Dalglish and Rodgers.

If he really was as bad as you say, do you not think that one of the above managers would have seen it and acted on it??

So why did Mourinho bin him off, why isn't he still at Chelsea, like Lampard, Terry and Cole?

Considering Chelsea have struggled at right back ever since they won the champions league aswell. Infact even before that, I can't name a good right back Chelsea have ever had. Ivanovic is about the best and even he was a centre half.

I'd also say that maybe its because England keep picking players like Johnson (and others) that they always "flatter to deceive" and never "perform as they should".

For me, England always "perform as they should" due to the standard of players (like Johnson) they keep picking.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:54 am

assist stats count for nothing anyway. he cut put 20 sitters on a plate for our forwards but it means sod all if they miss the chances. leighton baines put in more crosses than any other player in europe last season and yet they had donkeys like jelavic and anichebe upfront.

he is definitely the best right back england have though. anyone who thinks kyle walker is better knows nothing about football. he's awful. jenkinson may make the grade in a few years.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:02 pm

So why did Mourinho bin him off, why isn't he still at Chelsea, like Lampard, Terry and Cole?

Considering Chelsea have struggled at right back ever since they won the champions league aswell. Infact even before that, I can't name a good right back Chelsea have ever had. Ivanovic is about the best and even he was a centre half.

I'd also say that maybe its because England keep picking players like Johnson (and others) that they always "flatter to deceive" and never "perform as they should".

For me, England always "perform as they should" due to the standard of players (like Johnson) they keep picking. 

You're actually saying that Chelsea have failed to find a suitable/better RB than Johnson.

I think you've proved our point for us.  :D
Last edited by Kenny Kan on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:03 pm

stmichael » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:54 am wrote:assist stats count for nothing anyway. he cut put 20 sitters on a plate for our forwards but it means sod all if they miss the chances. leighton baines put in more crosses than any other player in europe last season and yet they had donkeys like jelavic and anichebe upfront.

he is definitely the best right back england have though. anyone who thinks kyle walker is better knows nothing about football. he's awful. jenkinson may make the grade in a few years.

I'd struggle to think of a better RB in the league in all honesty, never mind an English one.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:05 pm

stmichael » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:54 am wrote:assist stats count for nothing anyway. he cut put 20 sitters on a plate for our forwards but it means sod all if they miss the chances. leighton baines put in more crosses than any other player in europe last season and yet they had donkeys like jelavic and anichebe upfront.

Disagree, Ryan Taylor's a better footballer with a better touch and technique. Scores more goals aswell. Can take set pieces and spot a pass.

Richards is far better, great in the air, a fantastic athlete and hard as nails. Lacks a bit tactically but still better than Johnson by a country mile.

I'd play Kelly ahead of him as well.

Walker, another Johnson really. Typical overated player who can "run fast so he's boss and has potential" type.

Jenkinson, sorry, no... the lads a first division player at best.

Sure there are others out there better but I just can't be bothered thinking through them at the moment.

Oooo Johnson is better than Hibbert.... I'll give you that one :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby tubby » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:18 pm

StuYesThatStu » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:05 am wrote:
stmichael » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:54 am wrote:assist stats count for nothing anyway. he cut put 20 sitters on a plate for our forwards but it means sod all if they miss the chances. leighton baines put in more crosses than any other player in europe last season and yet they had donkeys like jelavic and anichebe upfront.

Disagree, Ryan Taylor's a better footballer with a better touch and technique. Scores more goals aswell. Can take set pieces and spot a pass.

Richards is far better, great in the air, a fantastic athlete and hard as nails. Lacks a bit tactically but still better than Johnson by a country mile.

I'd play Kelly ahead of him as well.

Walker, another Johnson really. Typical overated player who can "run fast so he's boss and has potential" type.

Jenkinson, sorry, no... the lads a first division player at best.

Sure there are others out there better but I just can't be bothered thinking through them at the moment.

Oooo Johnson is better than Hibbert.... I'll give you that one :D

Stu the red?  :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:28 pm

Kenny Kan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:03 pm wrote:
stmichael » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:54 am wrote:assist stats count for nothing anyway. he cut put 20 sitters on a plate for our forwards but it means sod all if they miss the chances. leighton baines put in more crosses than any other player in europe last season and yet they had donkeys like jelavic and anichebe upfront.

I'd struggle to think of a better RB in the league in all honesty, never mind an English one.

So where exactly do LFC's weaknesses lie then?

Because according to everyone on here the first 11 is full of great players or the best in the league in positions.

Sturridge has been called the best in the league in recent days.

I've heard Lucas refered to as the best centre mid,

Johnson the best right back,

I've seen people talking about Agger calling him the best in the league,

Toure's a "great player",

Mignolet "better than Reina",

So assuming Gerrard, Coutinho, Suarez and Enrique are all actually as good as they actually are, that means we have eight or nine players who'd get into more or less every side in the league.

That explains why we've been such a great side over the last 4 or five years.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion