Glen johnson out........a good thing? i think so

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Hustler 2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:11 pm

Yes but he doubles up as a winger. All of our defenders have got flaws.
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Greavesie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:12 pm

A good thing? Hell no. Hasn't a good chunk of the forum been talking about numbers and back up options in defence? This thins our numbers and Jonno was an absolute beast on Sunday - get the impression he doesn't give his all in big games? Against Man U he was fully committed for me, he made a number of last ditch challenges, most of them in the centre to cover our centre backs. He's a quality full back for me, not the best by any means, but quality non the less. His defending isn't half as bad as people think. All he needs to do is make one mistake and its overstated to death. Again, certainly not a good thing
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Hustler 2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:19 pm

He gets into the box but his final ball is always garbage.
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Greavesie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:31 pm wrote:Definitely have Finnan over Johnson - no contest for me

Give him a ring then, I'm fairly certain Johnson has him for pace mind
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:26 pm

damjan193 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:03 pm wrote:He's not the best RB you'll ever see but he isn't as bad as some of you make him to be. He's a frustrating player at times, but he's also capable of putting a shift in. I think he's an OK player but I would also have Finnan ahead of him. I think the key the get the best out of Glen would be to not play him so often. Play him for a game or two then rest. Luckily, we have Wisdom and Kelly so we can afford to do that. I'm not too concerned about his injury because we have good cover for him.

the cover for him isnt that great imo.
wisdom seems way ahead in the pecking order over kelly and i think rodgers see's it that way.
kelly for me would be the better option but ideally we could do with signing someone to give johnson that extra push. both kelly and wisdom aren't mobile enough and while they will do a job atm, they aren't good enough to replace him.
steve finnan was a gem, just a shame we got him in his later years. if it were up to me id have made a move for seamus coleman. that lad is a fantastic prospect who has very similar traits to finnan and is a natural RB. perfect replacement for johnson  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:27 pm

Greavesie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:22 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:31 pm wrote:Definitely have Finnan over Johnson - no contest for me

Give him a ring then, I'm fairly certain Johnson has him for pace mind

:laugh:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Hustler 2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:30 pm

red till i die!! » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:26 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:03 pm wrote:He's not the best RB you'll ever see but he isn't as bad as some of you make him to be. He's a frustrating player at times, but he's also capable of putting a shift in. I think he's an OK player but I would also have Finnan ahead of him. I think the key the get the best out of Glen would be to not play him so often. Play him for a game or two then rest. Luckily, we have Wisdom and Kelly so we can afford to do that. I'm not too concerned about his injury because we have good cover for him.

wisdom seems way ahead in the pecking order over kelly and i think rodgers see's it that way.
kelly for me would be the better option but ideally we could do with signing someone to give johnson that extra push. both kelly and wisdom aren't mobile enough and while they will do a job atm, they aren't good enough to replace him.
steve finnan was a gem, just a shame we got him in his later years. if it were up to me id have made a move for seamus coleman. that lad is a fantastic prospect who has very similar traits to finnan and is a natural RB. perfect replacement for johnson  :nod

We've got enough defenders. Lets just buy a double decker bus and park it in front of goal at kick off. That should solve it!
Last edited by Hustler 2 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

Postby tadhger09 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:31 pm

Greavesie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:12 pm wrote:A good thing? Hell no. Hasn't a good chunk of the forum been talking about numbers and back up options in defence? This thins our numbers and Jonno was an absolute beast on Sunday - get the impression he doesn't give his all in big games? Against Man U he was fully committed for me, he made a number of last ditch challenges, most of them in the centre to cover our centre backs. He's a quality full back for me, not the best by any means, but quality non the less. His defending isn't half as bad as people think. All he needs to do is make one mistake and its overstated to death. Again, certainly not a good thing

Yeah good points.

Johnson out injured is a bad thing for us as we don't have anyone in the squad who can bomb down the wing like he does. He poses an extra threat in the final third and creates space for our front men when he breaks with the ball. In Brendan's style of play he is integral to the team.
tadhger09
LFC Basic Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:35 pm

Hustler 2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:30 pm wrote:

We've got enough defenders. Lets just buy a double decker bus and park it in front of goal at kick off. That should solve it!

:laugh:
the bus is our secret weapon didnt you know  :D
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:30 pm

I can see where you're coming from mate. Both Kelly and Wisdom natural position is actually CB, so that's why their starting speed is weak. But they're not slow or immobile at all. Kelly has a very powerful run actually IMO, but his distribution isn't that good, whereas Wisdom is a bit slow but his strength makes up for it. I also think that Wisdom is a very intelligent player and while he might not be as effective in the final third, he does a good job at playing it simple when he's in the middle of the pitch, whereas Johnson usually decides to force his way through the opposition defense, and usually loses the ball.

Kelly and Wisdom might not look very suitable for RB's mainly because they're not so good with distribution and aiding the attackers in the final third, but both are powerful players and have a lot more potential than Johnson to be good in doing the defensive duties.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Sunday was probably his best game in six months. Thought he was excellent.

He has everything you'd want. Natural ability, pace, an instinct to get forward and is very comfortable with the ball at his feet.  His defending has improved over the last couple of seasons aswell.

His decision making is really poor at times though as he seem to think he's Suarez, tries to take a load of people on, gets dispossessed and then leaves us open to the counter-attack. Incredibly frustrating to watch.

He's either very very good or very very bad. There's no middle ground. Same for Enrique on the other side.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:04 pm

stmichael » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:42 pm wrote:Sunday was probably his best game in six months. Thought he was excellent.

He has everything you'd want. Natural ability, pace, an instinct to get forward and is very comfortable with the ball at his feet.  His defending has improved over the last couple of seasons aswell.

His decision making is really poor at times though as he seem to think he's Suarez, tries to take a load of people on, gets dispossessed and then leaves us open to the counter-attack. Incredibly frustrating to watch.

He's either very very good or very very bad. There's no middle ground. Same for Enrique on the other side.

Johnson was easily Man of the match on Sunday.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:02 pm

Johnson is an excellent right back, very rounded in that he can do a bit of everything. Excellent athlete and a massive threat going forward, gets a lot of unfair criticism in my opinion.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Fowler_E7 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:02 pm wrote:Johnson is an excellent right back, very rounded in that he can do a bit of everything. Excellent athlete and a massive threat going forward, gets a lot of unfair criticism in my opinion.

Doesn't get enough for me  :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:43 am

Fowler_E7 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:02 pm wrote:Johnson is an excellent right back, very rounded in that he can do a bit of everything. Excellent athlete and a massive threat going forward, gets a lot of unfair criticism in my opinion.

This.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion