Glen johnson out........a good thing? i think so

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:07 pm

I can't believe more people haven't seen through this embarrasment of a player yet!!! One of the worst at the club for me. The amount of money you'd get for him as well. Rodgers must be a mug!  :;):
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:40 pm

StuYesThatStu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:07 pm wrote:I can't believe more people haven't seen through this embarrasment of a player yet!!! One of the worst at the club for me. The amount of money you'd get for him as well. Rodgers must be a mug!  :;):

That surely suggests that the managers out there prepared to pay as you put it " The amount of money you'd get for him as well" are also mugs ?

Really Stu ? Englands first choice RB, maybe not the best in the league but nowhere as bad (an embarrassment) as you paint him.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby parchpea » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:47 pm

You always get the impression Johnson is not giving everything he could but he does in the big games.

If Kelly gets a chance there now its an opportunity to put some pressure on Johnson and certainly I think
he needs that.

The contrast between his poor performance against Notts County followed by a terrific display against United
was him all over really.

I would put money down that Rodgers is constantly having a word with him about his work because he is just
that kind of lad that needs nagging.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:49 pm

StuYesThatStu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:07 pm wrote:I can't believe more people haven't seen through this embarrasment of a player yet!!! One of the worst at the club for me. The amount of money you'd get for him as well. Rodgers must be a mug!  :;):

If he makes more tackles like he did against Wellbeck on Sunday then there is no complaints. I think his best period for us was when he played left back - seemed more at ease then. Has all the ability in the world
Benny The Noon

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:52 pm

the thing is in this country, we spend too much time looking at what a player can't do rather than what he can do. he's a brilliant footballer who could easily play in midfield on a regular basis who's defending is nowhere near as bad as some clowns (especially in the media) would make out. ok he has lapses and gets caught out of position every now and again but show me a fullback who doesn't when the modern fullback spends so much time bombing forward.

he is one of our more saleable assets but he doesn't want to leave so it's not even an issue. he's part of a defence who haven't conceded a goal in three league games.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The Good Yank » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:54 pm

Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:49 pm wrote:

If he makes more tackles like he did against Wellbeck on Sunday then there is no complaints. I think his best period for us was when he played left back - seemed more at ease then. Has all the ability in the world

I agree.  When he plays on the left he seems more solid defensively.  Maybe because he's not bombing forward so much on that side. 

I don't think he's anywhere near a liability on the right as some seem to think.  Somewhere in the middle I'd say.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:11 pm

StuYesThatStu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:07 pm wrote:I can't believe more people haven't seen through this embarrasment of a player yet!!! One of the worst at the club for me. The amount of money you'd get for him as well. Rodgers must be a mug!  :;):

Sh.it mate that is really harsh. He's been a regular member of a team that has amassed more points than Man United since we played them in January this year. Based on that BR isn't the mug    :D
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:44 pm

When rating a footballer I look firstly at there decision making, then touch, then passing and vision, then movement.

You occassionally get good players without one of these attributes but never without three or four.

Johnson is extremely poor in all but movement. And you could even argue that is poor as he moves forward to often.

For me, he gives the ball away far to much and passes to people under pressure far to much. He's also weak in terms of defensive tactical play. The amount of times someone else has to tackle an opposition players left winger is silly.

Also, he doesn't score as many goals as people seem to think or set any up either.

Finally, i can't stand players who let a ball roll under there foot or run a ball out of play... of try to beat a man at the wrong time.

Physically the man is absoloutely world class. Technically he's lower premiership standard to championship standard. Mentally again lower premiership standard, but tactically... for me, he's absolutely amateurish.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:18 pm

we`ve had worse fullbacks than glen johnson over the past 20 years, i think he`s a decent player.
he was magnificent sunday, that crunching tackle on the edge of the box on evra was reminicent of tommy smith
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:23 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:18 pm wrote:we`ve had worse fullbacks than glen johnson over the past 20 years, i think he`s a decent player.
he was magnificent sunday, that crunching tackle on the edge of the box on evra was reminicent of tommy smith

Any average player can have a good game, he's been living off his two or three a season for years and we have had worse yeah....

But we've had better too, some of them weren't even that good.

Put it this way, I'd take Finnan over Johnson anyday of the week. These days you need good full backs, we've always struggled on the left, now thats sorted we have him on the right :(
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Definitely have Finnan over Johnson - no contest for me
Benny The Noon

Postby only me » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:35 pm

StuYesThatStu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:23 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:18 pm wrote:we`ve had worse fullbacks than glen johnson over the past 20 years, i think he`s a decent player.

Any average player can have a good game, he's been living off his two or three a season for years and we have had worse yeah....

But we've had better too, some of them weren't even that good.

Put it this way, I'd take Finnan over Johnson anyday of the week. These days you need good full backs, we've always struggled on the left, now thats sorted we have him on the right :(

I thought it was my job to trash Johnson  :)
I think people tend to forget how many years Glen has been with us and have this hope he can replicate ,lets say ,the last game against ManU ,or he can replicate his goal against Chelsea...But at the end of the day he produces in most of the times a beneath par performance ,pretty weak and uncommitted defense ,and a load of misplaced passes. Johnson "Looks" like a worldClass RB ,but his track record sais otherwise.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:36 pm

although he hasnt lived up to the potential he had when he first came on to the scene i definately wouldn't say he is a bad player. he is decent enough tbh, a bit clueless looking at times i agree, but overall a good player and one we shouldnt be looking at changing atm. some decent competition for him though would be welcome.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:06 pm

red till i die!! » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:36 pm wrote:although he hasnt lived up to the potential he had when he first came on to the scene i definately wouldn't say he is a bad player. he is decent enough tbh, a bit clueless looking at times i agree, but overall a good player and one we shouldnt be looking at changing atm. some decent competition for him though would be welcome.

Agreed.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby damjan193 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:03 pm

He's not the best RB you'll ever see but he isn't as bad as some of you make him to be. He's a frustrating player at times, but he's also capable of putting a shift in. I think he's an OK player but I would also have Finnan ahead of him. I think the key the get the best out of Glen would be to not play him so often. Play him for a game or two then rest. Luckily, we have Wisdom and Kelly so we can afford to do that. I'm not too concerned about his injury because we have good cover for him.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion