Liverpool vs Villa - Sat 24th Aug 17:30 Sky sports 1

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby crim cram » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:28 pm

mignolet   :laugh: MOTM
“Me having no education. I had to use my brains.”  Shankly
crim cram
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:29 pm

I wasn't sure if I'm watching Liverpool or Stoke. We started wasting time and sitting back with no interest to attack the moment the second half started. I honestly hope we never pull a stunt like that again. It was very unexpected we'd do that too, but I guess that was the point. Although I'm happy it worked this time, I hope we don't do that again because it's really like gambling and usually it doesn't work. Even in this game, if it wasn't for Migolet again we wouldn't have gone home with the 3 points. I really don't like risking like that.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Happy with 2 wins out of 2. The last half an hour seems to be becoming an issue, it needs to be addressed ot this season is gonna shoot my nerves
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Hustler 2 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Get down and Boooogieee!!!
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Anyway, surprisingly, we did a good job defending with them having only 2 shots on goal (that required two fantastic Migolet saves mind you) and since we mostly concentrated on defending a lead in this one, my MOTM would be either Lucas or Toure.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby The Good Yank » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:37 pm

The Boss kind of hinted to what was going to happen in this game when praised how good Villa are on the counter.  Hence the way we played in the second half.  Don't give them an opportunity to counter.  It wasn't pretty.  But it is three points.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby RedSi35 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:41 pm

Last season we would of had maybe 2 points from games like that.

Im happy with that improvement
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:43 pm

A good job, well done. Wasn't comfy in the second half but another 3 points and clean sheet is great for team bonding. We got panicky at times, but the players will have learned a lot. Well chuffed :)
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Doeboy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:44 pm

Cracking piece of play by Sturridge for the goal. First half looked completely in control without really getting out of 2nd/3rd gear. Second half Villa came back into it but thought we handled anything they threw at us pretty comfortably. Good solid performance and well deserved 3 points. Onwards and upwards
Doeboy

Postby laza » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:48 pm

Currently on holidays and just got back from Red square in Moscow to see this result

Crack on Reds , great start to the season and superb message sent with all summer transfer shenaggins
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Well that wasnt a typical  BR game - good to get the three points , scrappy and a bit disjointed at times. Seemed a more grinding performance and got to be thankful for Mignolet for those three points.

Great to get 6 points - especially when we haven't been playing well but the work ethic has been good. Really need to improve the performances to keep the run going with some tough matches coming up and really need at the very least a quality signing to arrive and a CB.

Coutinho was a bit subdued today but if we keep Sturridge fit he is going to have a great season. The question is - where does Suarez play when he comes back in ? Because I certainly wouldn't move Sturridge from that central role.

Oh and Lucas is certainly recapturing his form !!
Benny The Noon

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:07 pm

Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:57 pm wrote:Well that wasnt a typical  BR game - good to get the three points , scrappy and a bit disjointed at times. Seemed a more grinding performance and got to be thankful for Mignolet for those three points.

Great to get 6 points - especially when we haven't been playing well but the work ethic has been good. Really need to improve the performances to keep the run going with some tough matches coming up and really need at the very least a quality signing to arrive and a CB.

Coutinho was a bit subdued today but if we keep Sturridge fit he is going to have a great season. The question is - where does Suarez play when he comes back in ? Because I certainly wouldn't move Sturridge from that central role.

Oh and Lucas is certainly recapturing his form !!

far from anything i expected as well but great result.
no doubt about it that we need to do some more business, so hopefully we will.
when suarez comes back then he goes left simple as that. sturridge should be the one holding the cards seen as suarez is looking to go, so we shouldnt be accomodating him. you cant drop sturridge on that form anyway and suarez poses a threat regardless of where he plays.
coutinho has to expect attention now that he is a marked man and today they got at him from the start but he gets on with it and threw everyone with that dummy to set up the goal.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:18 pm

i thought we looked great in the first half but in the second we ran out of steam alarmingly.
as gerrard and lucas tired they dropped deeper and deeper until they were practically sat on the toes of our back 4, at that point even when we cleared the ball there was no one in midfield to fight for the dropdowns because as i said lucas and gerrard were playing almost as auxillary CB`s. for the second week in succession late on in the game we have totally lost the territorial battle and invited tons of pressure on ourselves mainly because our CM`s have nothing left in the tank.
at one point lucas (who was outstanding first half) overran and lost the ball in a dangerous position near our box but didnt even have the energy to run back.
in the first half we kept the ball like barca but in the second we were hoofing it aimlessly and struggled to string five passes together.
if we are not comfortably ahead i think brendan needs to go to the bench around the 70/75 minute mark and if needs be he`s got to replace both gerrard and lucas and let allen and hendo close the games out. that lack of athleticism is going to cost us against the better sides.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Hustler 2 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:35 pm

Mignolet was my Man of the Match, for two very good saves.

Coutinho was a bit quiet today, and we looked thin up top, esp second half, but we played better than them, and beat them on their own patch. When Suarez returns, we need him and Sturridge up front and Coutinho just behind. in a 4-4-2.

Next up....the Mancs on Sept 1st
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:00 pm

The Good Yank » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:21 pm wrote:
Hustler 2 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:18 pm wrote:If it ends up 3-4 to us, does that mean it has been a "thrilla at the Villa" !!!?

Holy Shlt.

You may have made some knobbish posts.  But this one is so bad it should be bannable

Did I just make up a word?

Did we have a Hustler 1 ?
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games