West Brom vs Liverpool Sat 18/08 KO: 3pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby the lone wolf » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:19 pm

Welcome to Liverpool Football Club, Mr. Brendon Rogers...  :help

PS
The most successful British Football Club in history!
the lone wolf
LFC Basic Member

Postby Johnny Boy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:26 pm

If the first choice left back is injured, then play the second choice, Robinson.
Don't move the first choice right back over.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:27 pm

akumaface » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:32 am wrote:Horrible officiating. But the thing that worries me is i didn't really see any fight in most of our players (except Carroll whom shown some fight or urgency). Yes it is the first game of the season but we need to rethink if we should start Gerrard as he doesn't really shown himself to be able to motivate the other players on the pitch and also his performance had dipped even further.

Today, we lack the physicality and directless. Hope this is just a one game thing. Another thing is I hope people can cut Suarez some slack as he did try hard today. Some of the chances was not as easy as it seems. I'm really surprised so many here had already turned against him. Anyway, this is getting frustrated as Hell. Hopefully not going to be another long season in the mid table....

Until the second pen we seemed up to it.  The red card hurt, but the saved pen seemed to show we had a chance.  Then when dowd gave them such a Sh*t pen minutes later, we gave up.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:40 pm

It was the most retarded penalty ever. Skrtel wasn't even aware that Long was so close behind him and his eyes were always on the ball. That said, Skrtel took too much time to clear or pass the ball. Anyway, we've always had bad starts, 3 wins in 11 seasons if I'm not wrong where opening games are concerned. I'm sure we'll pick up, but Gerrard needs sorting out. Not too sure if he's captain quality anymore.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby The Good Yank » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:56 pm

I can't blame Dowd.  From his view, it looked like Agger shoved Long Down.  Long made the most of it and took the dive with minimal contact from behind.  Skittles , well it was a clear foul, in the box= peno.  Sorry but that's the way I saw it all.  No use blaming the ref when we lose 3-0 and offer minimal chances (after the first half hour). 

Stevie doesn't have the legs for a midfield role anymore.  Needs to be moved up into the attacking three.  Downing shouldn't even be able to smell the fertilizer on the grass.  Absolute joke of a performance from him. 

Someone earlier said that just because Enrique wasn't fit shouldn't have meant that Johnson moves to the left.  I partially agree.  Robinson should have got the nod.  But my problem was with sticking to the same tactics of having our fullbacks playing WAY to advanced and exposing the CB's WAY too much.  It led to the red card, and led to too many chances on the break for West Brom.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby ICE-MAN » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:08 pm

Allen was my man of the match, great performance!

Suarez so wasteful in front of goal!!

Skrtel, Downing and Borini very poor for me!

Agree that gerrard should be pushed up to the front 3!

Awful lot of work to do and lot of players to ship out!
ICE-MAN

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:13 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:40 pm wrote:It was the most retarded penalty ever. Skrtel wasn't even aware that Long was so close behind him and his eyes were always on the ball. That said, Skrtel took too much time to clear or pass the ball. Anyway, we've always had bad starts, 3 wins in 11 seasons if I'm not wrong where opening games are concerned. I'm sure we'll pick up, but Gerrard needs sorting out. Not too sure if he's captain quality anymore.

thats going to happen all season now, teams know that rodgers likes his centre halves to play out from the back so they will try to catch them dawdling on the ball looking for a pass. it`s trial and error, these are the creases in our game that have got to be ironed out, our centre halves now know that they havent got all the time in the world to find a pass.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:16 pm

On the bright side spurs look *****

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:27 pm

LFC1990 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:16 pm wrote:On the bright side spurs look *****

Better than us though
Benny The Noon

Postby The Good Yank » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:30 pm

I just had a thought.  We could very likely be at the bottom of the table come Monday night.

On the bright side.. Nowhere to go but UP.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:40 pm

The Good Yank » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:30 pm wrote:I just had a thought.  We could very likely be at the bottom of the table come Monday night.

Two teams lost 5 nil so we could be third from bottom
Benny The Noon

Postby The Good Yank » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:44 pm

Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:40 pm wrote:
The Good Yank » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:30 pm wrote:I just had a thought.  We could very likely be at the bottom of the table come Monday night.

Two teams lost 5 nil so we could be third from bottom

See that... Already moving up the table (FML)  :laugh:
s@int - 13 December 2009

The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:49 pm

It was a very poor start to another season (again) and too many of our key performers were well below their best but I think it's far, far too early to making  definitive judgments about anyone.  Stevie had a shocking second half but there's no way in hell I'd write him off.  Suarez, for all of his nutmegging and close dribbling, was embarrassing in front of goal but he'll find his scoring touch sooner rather than later.  Both Agger and Skrtel made serious errors at the back that cost us dearly, while Johnson and Kelly were hardly in top form.  But, all of them are capable of much better and will prove it very soon.  Boroni also looked out of sorts for large swaths of the match and will need to up his game considerably.  Still, he showed glimpses of good stuff, such as the pearler of a clipped cross to Suarez late in the second half that Luis should have buried without a problem.  Oh and Downing was poor too (no qualifiers there--he was *****, end of).   

On the bright side, Joe Allen made a promising debut and it was great to see Lucas back in the engine room.  Not many ticks in the positive column today I grant you but it was always going to be a work in progress under the new boss and today simply underscored the magnitude of the project ahead of us.  Still, we will improve and quickly, I believe.  Today is not a day for drawing conclusions or passing final judgments--it's a day for taking a deep breath and looking for a proper response on Thursday.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:58 pm

Bad Bob » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:49 pm wrote:It was a very poor start to another season (again) and too many of our key performers were well below their best but I think it's far, far too early to making  definitive judgments about anyone.  Stevie had a shocking second half but there's no way in hell I'd write him off.  Suarez, for all of his nutmegging and close dribbling, was embarrassing in front of goal but he'll find his scoring touch sooner rather than later.  Both Agger and Skrtel made serious errors at the back that cost us dearly, while Johnson and Kelly were hardly in top form.  But, all of them are capable of much better and will prove it very soon.  Boroni also looked out of sorts for large swaths of the match and will need to up his game considerably.  Still, he showed glimpses of good stuff, such as the pearler of a clipped cross to Suarez late in the second half that Luis should have buried without a problem.  Oh and Downing was poor too (no qualifiers there--he was *****, end of).   

On the bright side, Joe Allen made a promising debut and it was great to see Lucas back in the engine room.  Not many ticks in the positive column today I grant you but it was always going to be a work in progress under the new boss and today simply underscored the magnitude of the project ahead of us.  Still, we will improve and quickly, I believe.  Today is not a day for drawing conclusions or passing final judgments--it's a day for taking a deep breath and looking for a proper response on Thursday.

good post bob.

i said before the game that i was more worried about today's game than city and arsenal in many ways. it's the way we've been in recent seasons.

fans need to get used to the fact that it's going to take time. we have some great results and we'll take a few spankings along the way. as long as i see a progression in terms of how we play and improved results at home especially then i'll be happy. one game is way to early to draw any conclusions.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:04 pm

It's also important to remember that it's the opening day of the new season.  Not that such matches don't matter--of course they do.  Rather, it's important to remember that we ALWAYS seem to make heavy work of our first match.  We don't usually get pasted 3-0 but we do usually struggle, often against some mid-table or newly-promoted team on their patch.  Let's face it, if you know your recent history you couldn't have been expecting us to get up to much today. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games