West Brom vs Liverpool Sat 18/08 KO: 3pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby alwayslfc » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:55 am

We played good tiki taka football and were slightly the better side in terms of possession and composure up until their first goal. When Agger was sent off, that was it, Game Over. I am concerned that we will still suffer the same goal scoring problem like we did last season. We still do not have a striker who can turn half chances into goals. Suarez is never a central striker. Rodgers has a mountains of work to do in terms of getting his ideology over to the pitch and signing good players to overcome our weaknesses. Look forward to O.Assaidi in the first team soon. To be honest, I am beginning to dread the next 3 home games against such tough oppositions.
alwayslfc

Postby killerp » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:01 pm

our pre- season could nothave  been more decieving, I actually thought we would do well in the first game.

If it were not for Allen's impressive debut I'd be totally depressed. He looked more at home than half the veterans in the team.
killerp

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Its only the first game ,but seriously how many times are we going to see a Liverpool manager let down by under
performing players ? Constantly giving half arsed performances.

Rodgers likes to indoctrinate his players with his football philosophies ,and that's to play at a quick tempo and to regain possession quickly by pressing the opponent  . I'm afraid the days are long gone when Gerrard could surge 10 yards to
close down an opponent and still win the ball .... Having these expectations of a 32 yr old  is just not being practical .

The very last person any one can blame is the manager when he has to include such a ridiculously  undisciplined bunch of
players in a side ....Rodgers teams are built on a work ethic , they're dogged and they don't give you a second on the ball.
I'm sorry but asking Downing and the likes to defend from the front, is really delving into the realms of pure fantasy .

Brendan Rodgers needs to make some strong decisions ,and stand or fall by his convictions ,before these fucking 
players see him out the door like so many managers before him .

Rodgers should build this team around Lucas and Allen both of who's work rate is exceptional .

Now someone kindly remind me why I was looking forward to this season so much ?   :D

Next up Hearts YNWA
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Bad Bob » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:49 pm wrote:It was a very poor start to another season (again) and too many of our key performers were well below their best but I think it's far, far too early to making  definitive judgments about anyone.  Stevie had a shocking second half but there's no way in hell I'd write him off.  Suarez, for all of his nutmegging and close dribbling, was embarrassing in front of goal but he'll find his scoring touch sooner rather than later.  Both Agger and Skrtel made serious errors at the back that cost us dearly, while Johnson and Kelly were hardly in top form.  But, all of them are capable of much better and will prove it very soon.  Boroni also looked out of sorts for large swaths of the match and will need to up his game considerably.  Still, he showed glimpses of good stuff, such as the pearler of a clipped cross to Suarez late in the second half that Luis should have buried without a problem.  Oh and Downing was poor too (no qualifiers there--he was *****, end of).   

On the bright side, Joe Allen made a promising debut and it was great to see Lucas back in the engine room.  Not many ticks in the positive column today I grant you but it was always going to be a work in progress under the new boss and today simply underscored the magnitude of the project ahead of us.  Still, we will improve and quickly, I believe.  Today is not a day for drawing conclusions or passing final judgments--it's a day for taking a deep breath and looking for a proper response on Thursday.

Common sense returns to this thread. Cheers Bob  :bowdown
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Franky000 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:05 pm

At the start of the 2006/07 season, we drew the first game and lost the next two...

May 13th 2007 Charlton Athletic Home D 2-2 43134
May 5th 2007 Fulham Away L 1-0 24554
April 28th 2007 Portsmouth Away L 2-1 20201

We then went on to finish 3rd...
Franky000

Postby Kopite-Jud » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:27 pm

Look....

That game yesterday was a FREAK game.

A wonder goal, two iffy penalty's and a red card all in the space of 20 mins in game play.  We controlled large parts of this game, wasted a hoard of chances but thats football, we look more comfortable in possesion of the ball and Joe Allen looked good.

Even if we finish 7th its improvement on last year right? (all be it two cup finals).

Like Rodgers has always emphasised this will take time.  Don't expect miracles straight away, he needs to put his stamp on this team.  BUT these are games we SHOULD win comfortably and are a MUST win if we are to finish fourth. 

Frustrating watching Suarez miss chance after chance, i wish he could recreate his 81 goals in 110 games for Ajax, where the hell has that finishing touch gone?

Tough next 3 league games, lets see what we are made of! (a bit of DESERVED luck wouldnt go a miss either)

AND WE NEVER HIT THE WOODWORK YESTERDAY!  :wwww
Kopite-Jud

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:38 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:16 am wrote:Its only the first game ,but seriously how many times are we going to see a Liverpool manager let down by under
performing players ? Constantly giving half arsed performances.

Rodgers likes to indoctrinate his players with his football philosophies ,and that's to play at a quick tempo and to regain possession quickly by pressing the opponent  . I'm afraid the days are long gone when Gerrard could surge 10 yards to
close down an opponent and still win the ball .... Having these expectations of a 32 yr old  is just not being practical .

The very last person any one can blame is the manager when he has to include such a ridiculously  undisciplined bunch of
players in a side ....Rodgers teams are built on a work ethic , they're dogged and they don't give you a second on the ball.
I'm sorry but asking Downing and the likes to defend from the front, is really delving into the realms of pure fantasy .

Brendan Rodgers needs to make some strong decisions ,and stand or fall by his convictions ,before these fucking 
players see him out the door like so many managers before him .

Rodgers should build this team around Lucas and Allen both of who's work rate is exceptional .

Now someone kindly remind me why I was looking forward to this season so much ?   :D

Next up Hearts YNWA

i think the manager should shoulder some of the blame (i dont mean that in a ridiculous `rodgers out` sense) but he did make a few mistakes.
the glaring one was bringing joe cole on when we were 2 down and needed to chase the game, the fact cole limped off clutching his hamstring 5 minutes later is almost incidental, it`s the fact he thought joe cole could turn a lost cause around when sitting next to cole on the bench was a player who at the end of last season turned a F.A cup final around against the european champions and scored the winner in a game where we were down to 10 men for well over an hour.
i thought it was odd that he took lucas off to bring cole on as well, lucas wasnt having his best game in a red shirt but at least he was trying, personally i would have brought gerrard off, he was just walking around with a cob on, by taking lucas off and leaving gerrard on (when he is in one of his moods) we were effectively down to 9 men and others like borini werent exactly contributing much to the cause either. the likes of allen probably woke up this morning feeling like he did the work of 3 men yesterday but thats because he did do the work of 3 men, he had to.
after we went down to 10 men i thought tactically we totally lost our shape, playing with 10 men isnt easy but we totally went to f**k, i know it was slightly different circumstances but as i have already alluded to at the end of last season we went down to 10 men in the 24th minute against blackburn and still came out with a win. rodgers didnt seem to have a clue what to do once plan A had gone out of the window.
these arent major criticism`s but i thought the manager could have done a bit more to affect yesterdays result and performance, he seemed to lose control of the situation tactically, although we were down to 10 men it seemed if we were down to 9 or 8.
we werent playing title contenders yesterday we were playing a side that will be doing cartwheels if they stay in the division.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:12 pm

we werent playing title contenders yesterday we were playing a side that will be doing cartwheels if they stay in the division 

:D

Its only the first game ,but seriously how many times are we going to see a Liverpool manager let down by under
performing players ? Constantly giving half arsed performances

I thought the players let Rodgers down too, like they did at times with Kenny last season. Shocking.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby the lone wolf » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:55 pm

The club has noone elase to blame but itself.
High commanding wages do not need to met and LFC should not be held ransom to it.
E.G. if Ian Ayre is told to sign a player the manager WANTS - and comes back with - HIS WAGES are TOO HIGH - this should be excepted and the club moves on. However, with the wages that some players are on - this is not the case.

How many times does it take for a club with the stature of LFC to learn this simple vasic notion of life.
If the apples are bruised, why pay for them - wait until next week when fresh veg is available - surely?
the lone wolf
LFC Basic Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:29 am wrote:Was going to refrain from posting negative s.*i*e about the game yesterday but woke up today still feeling pi$$ed at the result, so f.uck it, here goes.

Gerrard looked so nonchalant & sloppy yesterday I couldn't believe it, although these kind of appearances for Liverpool are starting to creep into his game more as it appears the good days are behind him. Like many have said, he doesn't have the legs for midfield anymore - especially a 3 man midfield!

Lucas looked like the Lucas of the first 3 seasons at Liverpool as opposed to the more recent seasons progressive player. He is coming back from injury and game fitness will take a while to build up but he looked sloppy and quite slow to react yesterday, hopefully when his fitness is up to prem standard again we'll see the improved Lucas, we need that player back ASAP.

Kelly and Johnson I thought were both very poor at fullback yesterday, while Johnson had the more difficult task of playing out of position he has done this before and done it much better, Kelly IMO should edged into central defense. I'd like to see him and Coates at the heart of defense against Hearts on Thursday but I don't think it'll happen.

Even Reina, looked tentative to me, the first half where it was obvious Skertel didn't get a call from him when a harmless ball was floated into the box was headed out for a corner. He needs IMO to command his box MUCH better than he has.

Skertel and Agger did okay IMO but in the second half started getting sloppy too, even when we had the Dane on the pitch the pair of them were exposed a lot by WBA counter attack and there seemed to be acres of room between them and the midfield. That is going to be a concern against the better teams, because in recent years we've been very tight and compact between the lines of midfield and defense but I suppose you opt for a more attacking formation you will inevitably be exposed that little bit more, this concerns me, a balance needs to be found and finding that against Citeh could be hard.

Downing, I thought did okay it patches but he had his usually more fleeting moments of po.o than anything else. The fact a professional footballer is unable to cross with his weaker foot is testament to the fact that most footballers are overpaid pre-ma-donnas, this irks me.

Suarez was wasteful.

Borini was peripheral.

The only plus was Joe Allen who looked very neat and tidy, accomplished and looked at home in his debut game - very good performance from him.

The ref was disgusting.

I shall go on now and mope about the house, either that or go fishing.

Pretty much agree, although because it was basically the whole team under performing, for me, it was nerves.

I'm fully confident you will not see that type of performance again this month, in all our hard games.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:58 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:38 pm wrote:i think the manager should shoulder some of the blame (i dont mean that in a ridiculous `rodgers out` sense) but he did make a few mistakes.
the glaring one was bringing joe cole on when we were 2 down and needed to chase the game, the fact cole limped off clutching his hamstring 5 minutes later is almost incidental, it`s the fact he thought joe cole could turn a lost cause around when sitting next to cole on the bench was a player who at the end of last season turned a F.A cup final around against the european champions and scored the winner in a game where we were down to 10 men for well over an hour.
i thought it was odd that he took lucas off to bring cole on as well, lucas wasnt having his best game in a red shirt but at least he was trying, personally i would have brought gerrard off, he was just walking around with a cob on, by taking lucas off and leaving gerrard on (when he is in one of his moods) we were effectively down to 9 men and others like borini werent exactly contributing much to the cause either. the likes of allen probably woke up this morning feeling like he did the work of 3 men yesterday but thats because he did do the work of 3 men, he had to.
after we went down to 10 men i thought tactically we totally lost our shape, playing with 10 men isnt easy but we totally went to f**k, i know it was slightly different circumstances but as i have already alluded to at the end of last season we went down to 10 men in the 24th minute against blackburn and still came out with a win. rodgers didnt seem to have a clue what to do once plan A had gone out of the window.
these arent major criticism`s but i thought the manager could have done a bit more to affect yesterdays result and performance, he seemed to lose control of the situation tactically, although we were down to 10 men it seemed if we were down to 9 or 8.
we werent playing title contenders yesterday we were playing a side that will be doing cartwheels if they stay in the division.

I think as soon as Carragher was installed in our defence ,the back four seemed to wave goodbye to any semblance of shape
Its no surprise that Skrtels game becomes strewn with errors whenever Carragher is introduced ...

Its also pretty obvious that some of  Phil Dowd's decisions were at times contemptible ,and he made certain that we would
struggle in that game from the very onset . Rodgers has a set format and in Joe Allen and Borini he has the players that fit
that mold perfectly ,he also has Shelvey (who I was very surprised to see on the bench ) who imo ideally suits Rodgers playing model .

I honestly don't know where that leaves Gerrard ,because yesterdays performance harked back to how he performed under
Kenny ,and its definitely makes for uncomfortable viewing to watch him going through the motions whilst being oblivious to the one trait that made him truly unique.

I think Rodgers should play Gerrard on the wing ,re invent his role and then just maybe he can produce something worthy
of the exorbitant amount of wages he receives . I also believe he is less than inspirational and should relinquish the
captaincy for someone infinitely more passionate about the shirt ..... Otherwise the unthinkable Liverpool mantra ,about
no player being bigger than the club will be dead in the water .

Like I said Rodgers has a few uncomfortable decisions to make surrounding the lethargy of Gerrard and Downing ,and the
ever expanding waist line of Cole and Adam .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:23 pm

I was going through this match thread just to see the reactions from posters during the match ,and all I can say is Ethanr
is officially my new favorite poster .... Its a miracle he has retained a single blood vessel . :laugh:

Whoever says Americans aren't passionate about the game need only read the following blasts  :D  .

FFS! HOW IS THAT A f*cking YELLOW ON LUCAS NOW???? WBA HAVE BEEN DOING ALL THE SAME THINGS WE HAVE FOR YELLOWS, AND WORSE AND STILL WE CAN'T GET SOME f*cking CONSISTENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! f*cking PHIL f*cking DOWD!!!!

Wow.. Just wow phil dowd... ***** wow.  Remember sunderland last year dowd? remember f*cking sudnerland last year? the exact same f*cking challenge phil dowd? do you f*cking remember phil dowd? do you f*cking remember you f*cking c*nt?

f*ck you shane long! you were barely f*cking touched and you threw yourself on the ground you f*cking cheating c*nt!  you f*cking deserved to miss that bs penalty.

ARE YOU f*cking KIDDING ME DOWD? LONG IS THE NEW BIGGEST f*cking DIVER IN THE LEAGUE! HE'S BARELY f*cking TOUCHED AND HE GETS A PEN FOR THAT?  HE STUCK HIS LEGS BETWEEN SKRTEL AND FELL THE f*ck OVER! THAT'S SO MUCH f*cking BULL Sh*t DOWD! f*ck YOU!

f*ck you shane long! you were barely f*cking touched and you threw yourself on the ground you f*cking cheating c*nt!  you f*cking deserved to miss that bs penalty

Seriously after being so excited, and then dowd pulls this Sh*t?  f*ck you dowd, go to f*cking hell.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the lone wolf » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:04 pm

Franky000 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:05 pm wrote:At the start of the 2006/07 season, we drew the first game and lost the next two...

Under RAFA!
the lone wolf
LFC Basic Member

Postby the lone wolf » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:06 pm

Kopite-Jud » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:27 pm wrote:Look....

That game yesterday was a FREAK game.

A wonder goal, two iffy penalty's and a red card all in the space of 20 mins in game play.  We controlled large parts of this game, wasted a hoard of chances but thats football, we look more comfortable in possesion of the ball and Joe Allen looked good.

Even if we finish 7th its improvement on last year right? (all be it two cup finals).

Like Rodgers has always emphasised this will take time.  Don't expect miracles straight away, he needs to put his stamp on this team.  BUT these are games we SHOULD win comfortably and are a MUST win if we are to finish fourth. 

Frustrating watching Suarez miss chance after chance, i wish he could recreate his 81 goals in 110 games for Ajax, where the hell has that finishing touch gone?

Tough next 3 league games, lets see what we are made of! (a bit of DESERVED luck wouldnt go a miss either)

AND WE NEVER HIT THE WOODWORK YESTERDAY!  :wwww

AND WE NEVER HIT THE WOODWORK YESTERDAY! - It would have been a start tho!
the lone wolf
LFC Basic Member

Postby Greavesie » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:08 pm

the lone wolf » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:04 pm wrote:
Franky000 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:05 pm wrote:At the start of the 2006/07 season, we drew the first game and lost the next two...

Under RAFA!

What's April and May got to do with the start of the season?
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games