West Brom vs Liverpool Sat 18/08 KO: 3pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:16 pm

bill shankly got tonked 4-0 in his first game against cardiff and his managerial career didnt turn out too bad.
as others have said it will be just like us to beat city next week at anfield.
no matter how bad the result was the positive thing is we are only 3 points off the top of the table.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby tubby » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:21 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:16 pm wrote:bill shankly got tonked 4-0 in his first game against cardiff and his managerial career didnt turn out too bad.
as others have said it will be just like us to beat city next week at anfield.
no matter how bad the result was the positive thing is we are only 3 points off the top of the table.

We have some very tough fixtures coming up. If we can say that after those are out of the way I'll be quite happy, something tells me I'm dreaming though.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:12 pm

Gutted like as a poor effort that after so much build up and optimism.

We cant be getting tonked like this against these sides and especially
taking one from a guy we just sacked, its embarrasing.

Rodgers has one hell of a job on as nothing seems to get through to
half these lads and they better shape up I tell you that as its not
acceptable to put a new gaffer through that let alone the supporters.

Fecking shyte Im sorry.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:56 pm

parchpea » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:12 pm wrote:Gutted like as a poor effort that after so much build up and optimism.

We cant be getting tonked like this against these sides and especially
taking one from a guy we just sacked, its embarrasing.

Rodgers has one hell of a job on as nothing seems to get through to
half these lads and they better shape up I tell you that as its not
acceptable to put a new gaffer through that let alone the supporters.

Fecking shyte Im sorry.

it could have been even worse too, reina saved a pen and they missed at least one absolute sitter when that lukaku just barged past carragher and squared it to his mate who really should have done better with the finish.
it should have been 5 or 6 really, but when your down to 10 men with half an hour to go and you are chasing the game that can happen.
i`d like to say the sending off killed us but in all honesty you could see our heads drop as soon as that shot of zera`s hit the back of the net.
as you say mate rodgers has got one hell of a job on his hands, we have some top players but mentally we are very fragile.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:58 pm

I have to ask why the f*ck wasn't Sterling on the bench , why the hell did  Cole on when we were 2 nil down with 23 mins left when we had a striker sat on the bench
Benny The Noon

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:27 pm

no way did i expect we would be on the end of a 3 nil hammering especially in our first game.
had suarez of taking those chances in the 1st half then it was a different game,but as usual we dont and get punished for it.phil dowd is a muppet but cant be blamed for our poor performance.
thought coates should have replaced agger not carra and disapointed for andy being thrown on when 3 down.joe cole isnt good enough any more to play for us so id like to have seen sterling,shelvey or even hendo get the game time in.
solid stuff from joe allen in his debut which was a plus. :buttrock .
overall though it was a disapointing game and i can only hope we dont repeat the same mistakes against city next week.not having agger will be a blow as we cant try to play high up the pitch with carra as his replacement.
fooking gutted we lost that in that manner :veryangry
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:30 pm

Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:58 pm wrote:I have to ask why the f*ck wasn't Sterling on the bench , why the hell did  Cole on when we were 2 nil down with 23 mins left when we had a striker sat on the bench

i think every liverpool fan was thinking the same thing when cole came on and why he didnt throw carroll on god only knows.
cole started away at gomel but only lasted a few minutes before coming off and today he comes on as sub and is then subbed himself after about 7 minutes on the pitch!
rodgers is putting his faith in the wrong players, carroll would run through a brick wall for him if he showed a bit of faith in the lad but he keeps on picking the likes of downing and cole who couldnt dent a rice pudding. when you go 1 down away from home it`s not even worth having the likes of downing and cole on the pitch, they arent going to inspire any fightback.
rodgers will learn.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Raoul » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:54 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:30 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:58 pm wrote:I have to ask why the f*ck wasn't Sterling on the bench , why the hell did  Cole on when we were 2 nil down with 23 mins left when we had a striker sat on the bench

i think every liverpool fan was thinking the same thing when cole came on and why he didnt throw carroll on god only knows.
cole started away at gomel but only lasted a few minutes before coming off and today he comes on as sub and is then subbed himself after about 7 minutes on the pitch!
rodgers is putting his faith in the wrong players, carroll would run through a brick wall for him if he showed a bit of faith in the lad but he keeps on picking the likes of downing and cole who couldnt dent a rice pudding. when you go 1 down away from home it`s not even worth having the likes of downing and cole on the pitch, they arent going to inspire any fightback.
rodgers will learn.

I hope so. I'm not Carroll's biggest fan, but you expect him to come out fighting, which is why I wanted him on earlier. Oh well, next week we play a big team. That means it'll be the other Liverpool showing up...
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:32 am

Listened on the radio today. Couldn't watch MOTD tonight. What a shyte start to another season.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:57 am

bunglemark2 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:32 pm wrote:Listened on the radio today. Couldn't watch MOTD tonight. What a shyte start to another season.

first half we were the better side mate, although when they scored just before half time you could see the players heads drop, that goal took the wind right out of our sails.
once we went down to ten men early in the second half everything just went to f**k, we just totally lost our shape, gerrard looked like he didnt give a $h1te (he wasnt the only one btw) and by the final whistle we were lucky it was only 3, reina saved a pen (made some other decent saves) and they missed at least one absolute sitter.
the fact joe cole came on as a sub when we were 2-0 down only to pull a hamstring within minutes of getting on and had to be subbed just added to the farcical nature of the second half.
apparently it`s our worst opening day defeat since 1937.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:01 am

1st goal came out of nowhere... Reina couldn't do anything... no one could've possibly done anything about it... it's one of those goals.

Then Agger gave away a very soft penalty. He should've known he's experienced enough. But the penalty was saved and we had a bit of a chance even though we were down to 10 man and it was a bit of a uphill battle.

Then comes the 2nd penalty and 2nd goal which was an absolutely ridiculous decision. Skrtle was kicking the ball and he didn't even know the West Brom player was gonna intercept. After that penalty we lost hope.

3rd goal was just the nail in the coffin... bad defending by Johnson, didn't even challenge the West Brom player for the ball in the air.

To summarize we lost because of luck being more on West Brom's side than ours, individual errors, and unfair refereeing...

Hopefully we will improve... we'll have to...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:18 am

It's a source of great irritation to lose your first game of the season but to lose in such a comprehensive manner as we were today is very depressing !

In Suarez we have a truly world class player with his ability to create chances but the lads snatching at these chances and appears to lose sight of where the goal is. Too many of his efforts don't even test the keeper, in other words their not on target ! This means as soon as we go a goal down the heads drop as the players don't believe a goal is coming anytime soon.

Gerrard will have several eye catching performances this season thats for sure but they are becoming more infrequent as age catches up with him. He fell way below his own high standards today but I fully expect him to show for the next 2 Home games.

BR might love Barcelona's style of playing but you have to have players in your team who are comfortable in possession and don't give the ball away cheaply.

It's intersting to see one of last season's meanest defences being coached to keep the ball but sadly looking so ill at ease in doing so. Agger has always been comfortable on the ball but can you honestly say the same of Skirtel, Carracher, Kelly and Johnson ?

Joe Allen looks a player but has been playing under BR for some time so no big surprise that he was accomplished and Lucas will always look comfortable on the ball but Downing and Boroni were woeful today and you wonder how long Downing will be afforded the patience of the fans.

Its a work in progress and I suppose luck was in short supply (where have we heard that before !) but I agree with BR's brutallly honest comments that there will be more days like this ! In the age of cheap cyber opinion I think we are in for a bumpy ride !

5Live was awash with over dramatic reaction to BR's first game in the Premiership then have the self congratulatory gaul to ask that fans be patient and give him 2/3 even 5  years ! It has the feel of being a season whereby it might be a good idea NOT to listen to phone ins and read comments on the net about this great club because football and success is like bad coffee...............instant !

My mates a Norwich fan (not a good day for him either !) and his Norwich team has travelled up the Leagues with Swansea. He always says how technically good Swansea were under BR but also how playing a high line and pressing the full backs can reap rewards against BR. Against WBA our full backs were practically playing as Wingers and left exposed when we gave the ball away and unable to get back resulting in both central defenders exposed. Agger and Skirtel then give away Pens and whilst they should have done better had no cover so felt compelled to make last ditch tackles. Skirtel in particular would never have had the opportunity to concede his Pen but it's obvious that he has been told not to hoof it out of danger.

We will bounce back and I wouldn't be surprised if we beat City next Sunday because we do have players who can win football matches but the players have to possess the confidence and ability to put the principles of the manager into action or we face another uncomfortable and telling match. I'd definitly play Coates rather than Carragher who already looks out of kilter with how Brendan Rogers wants to play and consider playing Gerrard further up front.

Walk on................
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:29 am

Was going to refrain from posting negative s.*i*e about the game yesterday but woke up today still feeling pi$$ed at the result, so f.uck it, here goes.

Gerrard looked so nonchalant & sloppy yesterday I couldn't believe it, although these kind of appearances for Liverpool are starting to creep into his game more as it appears the good days are behind him. Like many have said, he doesn't have the legs for midfield anymore - especially a 3 man midfield!

Lucas looked like the Lucas of the first 3 seasons at Liverpool as opposed to the more recent seasons progressive player. He is coming back from injury and game fitness will take a while to build up but he looked sloppy and quite slow to react yesterday, hopefully when his fitness is up to prem standard again we'll see the improved Lucas, we need that player back ASAP.

Kelly and Johnson I thought were both very poor at fullback yesterday, while Johnson had the more difficult task of playing out of position he has done this before and done it much better, Kelly IMO should edged into central defense. I'd like to see him and Coates at the heart of defense against Hearts on Thursday but I don't think it'll happen.

Even Reina, looked tentative to me, the first half where it was obvious Skertel didn't get a call from him when a harmless ball was floated into the box was headed out for a corner. He needs IMO to command his box MUCH better than he has.

Skertel and Agger did okay IMO but in the second half started getting sloppy too, even when we had the Dane on the pitch the pair of them were exposed a lot by WBA counter attack and there seemed to be acres of room between them and the midfield. That is going to be a concern against the better teams, because in recent years we've been very tight and compact between the lines of midfield and defense but I suppose you opt for a more attacking formation you will inevitably be exposed that little bit more, this concerns me, a balance needs to be found and finding that against Citeh could be hard.

Downing, I thought did okay it patches but he had his usually more fleeting moments of po.o than anything else. The fact a professional footballer is unable to cross with his weaker foot is testament to the fact that most footballers are overpaid pre-ma-donnas, this irks me.

Suarez was wasteful.

Borini was peripheral.

The only plus was Joe Allen who looked very neat and tidy, accomplished and looked at home in his debut game - very good performance from him.

The ref was disgusting.

I shall go on now and mope about the house, either that or go fishing.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:37 am

If our fnishing had been more clinical we could hve finished that game off before their first goal, its not like we didn't have chances.

Agree Johnson was awful at LB, Borini needs time to bed in and Suarez is magic but desparate for a partner.

Still, next few games to look forward to eh?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:52 am

3-0 to the mighty West Brom.

:no

Jesus H Christ...

It better act as a straightener for everyone concerned, otherwise this is going to be one long season.
tonyeh

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games