Expectations for 2012/13 season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:16 am

if rodgers achieves top 4 in his first season he deserves a knighthood. it's gonna be harder than ever to get back there and it will be harder every season from now on.

i expect a much better league campaign first and foremost, especially with regards to the results at home. i also want to see a defined style of play and vision for the club going forward. silverware would also be nice and i want us to take the europa seriously.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby alxy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:50 am

Top 6 with hopefully at least 1 cup final. I think Chelsea and Spurs are going to suffer a bit. Spurs if they take AVB will do a Chelsea and flop a bit. Chelsea with Di Matteo will be just like us under Kenny. RDM did well, but probably because just about everyone was elated AVB left, and not that RDM took over. But during a full season, reality will set in.

But we are no better. I would say Man City, Man Utd and Arsenal are going to strengthen for next season. Whereas for us, Spurs and Chelsea it will be more rebuilding. Hopefully Rodgers can squeeze the best out of our current players, and maybe bring in a gem or two ala Newcastle. But I doubt we will be able to attract any truly world class players with no CL action and an unproven young manager.
alxy

Postby lakes10 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:11 am

I think Arsenal and Man city are going to be the top two.
we will be in the running for 3rd........but i hope for better.

Man U could find 2012/13 hard but i do think they will do well in the CL and might hit the final.

Spurs......will be 6th or 7th if they are lucky

West Ham will be 11th

feel its going to be a low point season for the prem will smal teams getting wins over the bigger team and the bottom 3 might be a shock at the end.

FA cup, we need to be there right at the end, it lifts the club and the fans.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:20 am

Running 3rd ?!?! Seriously !!

We will be battling it out with Spurs for 5th

City ,Chelsea and Utd are miles away and Arsenal and moving away as well.
Benny The Noon

Postby tubby » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:58 am

It all depends how much we spend. If we spend say 45-60Mil and bring in a handful of decent players then id say 5th. If we spent say 80-90Mil then with a bit of good luck maybe 4th is possible. In reality I think our spend will be in the 40-50 range. It's an interesting one because the last year saw a lot of spending funded by the sale of Torres, this summer let's see if FSG still have that muscle.

Any talk of 4th or better before we have even bought anyone is just folly IMO. Let's be realistic here people please, at the very least it will help to avoid dissapointment when reality hits home.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:05 am

lakes10 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:11 am wrote:
West Ham will be 11th

what a random quote :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Penguins » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:21 pm

Benny The Noon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:20 am wrote:Running 3rd ?!?! Seriously !!

We will be battling it out with Spurs for 5th

City ,Chelsea and Utd are miles away and Arsenal and moving away as well.

Totally agree. Top 4 is just too big of a step this season. 37 pts after Manure this season and you're talking about overtaking them.
I know you are deluded Lakes, but please don't embarrass yourself.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:25 pm

hang on, Lakes is entitled to his opinion without you pair of numpties jumping on him. Thats what lakes believes, so be it.

Love how benny came straight back and rubbished his opinion and then stated as matter of fact  "We will be battling it out with Spurs for 5th" . thats your opinion Benny, so be it.

then bum chum penguins harps up with that nugget of wisdom, which wasn't suprising since penguins probably is benny anyway, just my opinion like.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:59 pm

Why compare next season with last season, sorry but in football because you were 7th one season doesnt mean if you improve you only move up to 5th its not that scientific, there are too many variables, new manager, new players, what the opposition do and don't do. Going by some theorists on here Newcastle who finished in 12th 2010-11 should actually have been relegated last season as they didn't spend something like 100m but they still moved up to 5th. I don't see why we can't be in the mix, I don't see why top 3 or 4 is out of reach.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Boocity » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:59 am wrote: I don't see why top 3 or 4 is out of reach.

because Benny says so. :nod
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Boocity » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:59 am wrote:Why compare next season with last season, sorry but in football because you were 7th one season doesnt mean if you improve you only move up to 5th its not that scientific, there are too many variables, new manager, new players, what the opposition do and don't do. Going by some theorists on here Newcastle who finished in 12th 2010-11 should actually have been relegated last season as they didn't spend something like 100m but they still moved up to 5th. I don't see why we can't be in the mix, I don't see why top 3 or 4 is out of reach.

Not out of reach, I agree, but nonetheless at the upper end of our expectations. Anyone who thinks we can realistically achieve higher than third is assuming that something unforseeable will happen, because there's nothing in the history of the Premier League to suggest a side can make up so much ground in one season. I'm all for hoping we can do it, but I sure as heck won't be expecting it. Realistically, we'll be doing well if we can stick with Spurs/Arsenal in the chase for fourth for the majority of the season.
LFC2007

Postby lakes10 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:59 pm

stmichael » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:05 am wrote:
lakes10 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:11 am wrote:
West Ham will be 11th

what a random quote :D

lol i have it on a beat
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alwayslfc » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:53 pm

I'll be blunt on this. First, 2nd and 3rd will be reserved for manure, city and Arsenal next season. The battle for 4th will be between Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle and Lvp. I think if B.R. plays his cards right with the right signings, tactics and hit the woodwork less then we do stand a chance of pipping Chels, Spurs and Newc for 4th. Though it will be a tough campaign, we must go all out for CL qualification however ridiculous it may sound. Why? We need the money and to keep Suarez for future seasons. Suarez will leave if we continue to qualify for CL and it will be a shame.
alwayslfc

Postby alwayslfc » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:55 pm

Sorry , I meant Suarez will leave if we fail to qualify for CL, typing error.
alwayslfc

Postby parchpea » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:27 pm

Doesnt matter whats invested or the reality of the situation because the truth is
Liverpool will always be expected to be in that elite top 4 group anyway.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion