STEVEN GERRARD - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:58 am

February. 2-3 more months then?  So he's knackered good style obviously.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:43 am

its time we actually got our heads around the fact that the steven gerrard era is just about over. i'm sure that for the next season or two he'll come in and play a few games now and again, but the ever present player who drives the whole team forward throughout the season is gone. he'll surely contribute well enough when he does play but i don't expect it to be the dynamic, gut busting goal machine we know and love.

it's all well and good to be looking forward to seeing him come back, but there's no point in sticking to the idea that he is what we desperately need, or that he is the one and only thing, that will make us play great football again. we've been playing decent enough football without him and, barring major new signings, lucas, adam and henderson (and maybe shelvey) are the immediate future of our midfield. we need to be looking more to them to grow into their roles and take on the responsibility of moving the club forward.

i love the fella as much as anyone but the time is surely here or at least very, very close, when we have to move on.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:59 am

fivecups wrote:Bizarre is right. A 32 year old with a groin infection followed by an ankle infection. An infection that requires a cast and crutches???

That is complete and utter bullsh'it. Either his injuries are different to what the club have said they are, or he's got some weird underlying medical disorder, which seems unlikely.

What is for sure is that repeated, prolonged injuries at his stage of career are not a good thing.

I told he has achilles tendonitis and the infection was around the tendon. had nothing to do with a cut.
Its strange that if it achilles tendonitis that it ended up in an infection, i think he had an op on his tendon to stop the tendonitis and saying he had a cut and an infection was the only way he could get away with being seen in a cast.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:04 pm

andy_g wrote:its time we actually got our heads around the fact that the steven gerrard era is just about over. i'm sure that for the next season or two he'll come in and play a few games now and again, but the ever present player who drives the whole team forward throughout the season is gone. he'll surely contribute well enough when he does play but i don't expect it to be the dynamic, gut busting goal machine we know and love.

it's all well and good to be looking forward to seeing him come back, but there's no point in sticking to the idea that he is what we desperately need, or that he is the one and only thing, that will make us play great football again. we've been playing decent enough football without him and, barring major new signings, lucas, adam and henderson (and maybe shelvey) are the immediate future of our midfield. we need to be looking more to them to grow into their roles and take on the responsibility of moving the club forward.

i love the fella as much as anyone but the time is surely here or at least very, very close, when we have to move on.

Don't want to hear it but ...........

I think you're right   :(

I'm hoping that in order to prolong Stevie G's career Kenny considers changing his barnstorming role in the team to one of a more deeper lying play-maker. Given his combative nature, ability to read the game and skill at delivering killer balls he could (imo) be the player who could at last successfully replace the long departed Alonso.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RedSi35 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:25 pm

If he stays fit after this latest bout them i would hope we could get maybe 2 seasons out of him. Change of role would also be a good thin imo.

I think the club would also have to try and persuade him to kick his england career into touch.
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:41 pm

Retiring from that thing called England would prolong his career, and if he uses shi-seido he'll stay younger for longer!
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Rush Job » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:17 pm

only me wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:it wasn't his groin, it was his ankle that got the infection from a cut. They put the cast onto it as a precaution to allow it to heal...at least that's what the club said.

I've heard a rumour that he'll be back within 2 weeks.

I don't know why a club as huge as us keeps his fan base in the dark as to injuries and recovery updates. Unclear and bizar quite frankly.

He obviously trying to keep the presure off. He doesnt want to set a deadline incase it doesnt happen then the papers will have a field day.
No deadline, he`ll be back when he`s ready and it doesnt seem like anyone really knows when that will be anyway so no use setting a date for it not to be met.
When it comes to handling the press no ones better than KD.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi35 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:37 pm

But but but

When Lucas returns and Adam now starting to do the biz he no longer can command that central midfield role.

Playing behind Suarez? ??? not any more, age, fitness etc means he cannot do what he used to be able to do in that position.

On the wing? ???? he never fancied it in his heydays, even though he was a kinda revelation for us when he played for half a season on the right wing under Rafa.
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:31 pm

going by bbc news 24 today, he will be back on 3 January.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:48 pm

lakes10 wrote:going by bbc news 24 today, he will be back on 3 January.

not as reliable as BBC five live imo
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Read that he could be back for the Newcastle game. Could really use him in January especially for the City games.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:08 am

was told at the begining of the month he'd be back in two weeks...didn't realise that meant back to training!

But yeah, he's now getting fit and should play soon  :buttrock
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:02 am

If he has had a bout of tendonitis in his achilles then I can realise why he has been out for so long. As someone who has suffered from severe tendonitis in the achilles it is excruciatingly painful and takes a good while to improve and heal up.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby Kerry07 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:02 am

We need the captain for the City games... hope to see him back on the field before the month is out. Best of luck stevie.
"Its not just any other club" C.Tyldsley
"Liverpool are a special institution" X.Alonso
"Anfield es un templo de fútbol" AS
"The English club prove miracles do exist" D.Maradona
"Theres not one club in the world so united with its fans. Liverpool fans sent shivers down my spine" J.Cruyff
Kerry07

Postby metalhead » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:31 am

woof woof ! wrote:
andy_g wrote:its time we actually got our heads around the fact that the steven gerrard era is just about over. i'm sure that for the next season or two he'll come in and play a few games now and again, but the ever present player who drives the whole team forward throughout the season is gone. he'll surely contribute well enough when he does play but i don't expect it to be the dynamic, gut busting goal machine we know and love.

Don't want to hear it but ...........

I think you're right   :(

I'm hoping that in order to prolong Stevie G's career Kenny considers changing his barnstorming role in the team to one of a more deeper lying play-maker. Given his combative nature, ability to read the game and skill at delivering killer balls he could (imo) be the player who could at last successfully replace the long departed Alonso.

I'm getting to a point that I have to accept this, its dissapointing but that's football :(
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion