Why is nothing happening?! - All quiet on the transfer front...

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Reg » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:41 pm

I live in Brazil matey, was dancing in the street when Brazil beat the Argies on sunday. I lived in Buenos Aires back in 1990, I remember the death-hush of the city when Cameroon beat them in the opening game of the world cup, a moment to savour!

Anyway as long as they score goals, who cares?   :nod
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:00 pm

Penguins wrote:While I disagree about me not "knowing anything about Liverpool" at least I got a post with something in it.

And what makes my posts "computer gamish"?

Aren't we all sitting by our computers giving our opinions on the club we love?

Well, at least you make some good points in this post.

a) While I agree Giggs might become less pivotal i'm not so sure Scholes will drop too much. Overall that might be true.

b) I have never mentioned Manure will become all that much greater next season with their additions bar maybe Tevez.
Nani, Anderson will need, like Babel for us, a few years before they start to produce regurlarly.
Hargreaves will help with squad depth and such but with Carrick there both can't play. In short, I agree.

c) Well, for me great players will adapt with great players.
I'd think both would start up front most games.
But good for us if it doesn't pan out.

d) Hmm, good points. But I just fear an over rotation on that huge amount of players we've got. Our defense is more than solid but is lacking a bit supporting the attack.
I still see a need for a quality winger which hasn't really been fixed. Especially with such a defensive minded central midfield which we have. This is especially apparent in our away games.
Who will score the goals from midfield?

e) Ya, Torres will get all the help he needs and has the attributes to succeed. But I just hope the midfield will give him the support he needs.

f) Ya, sure helps. And hopefully we might get a better start...

g) I just can't count on Kewell still. Call it a bad habit.
I do think that Pennant will continue his good form.
Benayoun will replace Garcia and even if he does get fewer goals he might be just as good anyway. An unpredicable player which can be both good or bad.

Sure, it is looking a bit better than last season, but challenging this season?
Not that I'm disagreeing about less rotation but I just can't see it happen with so many players vying for playing time.
I do love to be proven wrong but Rafa just loves it.
I feel though that even more important than rotation is the attacking mentality of the team, especailly in away games.
That overly cautious approach just will not work.
But also less rotation maybe means the players feel more comfortable in those games.

Ya, maybe 1 more signing on one of the flanks would make me very happy if there is room for one. That creative quality is something I find very important. can always hope.

And I do hope we do well, but is 1 quality signing really going to bridge the gap to Chelski and Manure? Both have improved, even if not by much, but have we taken 2 steps while they have taken 1?
I do believe in what Rafa is trying to build cause he is a great manager and if he can add 1 quality signing each summer then sooner or later the title will be back at Anfield.
But this season will be a stretch IF we won't bring in another  player which will help the team's lack of creativity.

But hey, I'm happy as long as we progress and Rafa is allowed to continue his project. If Rafa can't then I wonder who can.

And about Masch. I was only trying to point out that he wasn't a Liverpool player yet and there is a chance we could loose him. I didn't say he will leave or that we would loose him.
And MSI are greedy :censored: who only cares about cash which makes it a bit uncertain also...

But I do beg that Rafa somehow got a set price for him when we got him on that loan.

Your opinions lack any context, perspective and are generally alarmist.

Why are they computer game-ish?

Because they are typical of the type of person who ignores reality.

a) Thank you

b) Thank you

c) Tevez and Rooney are very similar in style, how will Saha be accomodated, Smith, Solskjaer? I see that causing a few problems. You say great players will adapt with great players - Gerrard-Lampard? I don't think they have adapted.

d) I think a growth in confidence will come with a growth in experience, I think Alonso is capable of scoring goals, even Mascherano is if he times his runs well. I expect Kewell to be chipping in, Babel will IMO prove to be a great buy. Torres brings us more pace, especially in away games where we maybe more defensive but haven't been able to create real chances. Benayoun and Pennant offer quality crossing ability, IMO we still lack a real quality winger but I don't see it being a major hinderance to our ability to challenge. I also think Babel will turn a few heads.

e) Thank you

f) Thank you

g) I think Kewell is due some good fortune, here's hoping.

I think now we have the players, especially with Torres, Babel and Benayoun to attack away from home I think we will show a more attacking ethos. We've never had a pacey player up front with good touch, skill, who is reliable and has a good attitude. Now we do, I see a big difference in our attacking options.

I don't think we are a million miles away from the mancs or Chelsea, the only difference has been our away form. We need to be more positive and consistent, experience and character will help bring this - and Torres and Babel IMO will make a huge difference away from home with their pace and ability to get behind defences. I don't see Anderson or Nani as major threats at this moment in time. Hargreaves may cause a few selection problems in the middle and their rhythm may be unsettled a bit. Chelski have signed Sidwell, Santa Cruz, Ben Haim and Malouda. Irrespective of this I still expect them to be there challenging.
LFC2007

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:06 pm

Quote LFC2007   'Tevez and Rooney are very similar in style, how will Saha be accomodated, Smith, Solskjaer? I see that causing a few problems. You say great players will adapt with great players - Gerrard-Lampard? I don't think they have adapted.'

Never ever ever say that Fat Fwank is a great player. :D
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:16 pm

I was actually gonna say the same thing  about lampard  :D

c) Since Saha is always injured and Smith and Solskjaer are pretty poor in my eyes Teves will be imo a major upgrade even if there are similarities between them.

d) Just that Alonso, Masch and Momo have never been a goal threat. Even 10 goals between them would be hard to achieve. Alonso got 4 last season, Momo 0 and Masch 0(even if he played less).
With Garcia's output of 10-15/season gone this put a huge pressure on Gerrard, Pennant, Benayoun and Babel.
Pennant might score more than last season but he isn't a goal scorer as he always search to cross or pass. Benayoun might get more than 5 and Babel is still a bit unkown commodity. I'm sure he'll come good but isn't 10+ goals in his 1st season a bit too much to demand?
I have no doubt the forwards will get the goals but the midfield is a huge questionmark.
Here's hoping Alonso get some more freedom by Rafa to go forward.

f) Kewell is done to death so all I can do is hope. Babel will hopefully make that LW spot his next season.

I agree with what you say in the latter part and about the need to change the mentality and allow more freedom, but you sure put a lot of hope on Babel to be a difference maker from day 1. Even if he is a very promising talent, he unlike Torres might need a year to settle. As he is one for the future I hope everyone doesn't put huge pressure on the lad.

Ronaldo, even if he turned out great last season, needed 3 seasons before delivering the goods.
Patience is the key wth Babel.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:30 pm

Lampard is not as good as Gerrard but he is a top player, of that there is no doubt. Although I hope he goes tits up this season :D .

c) I don't see Tevez as a major threat to us. They will have to accomodate the styles of Rooney and Tevez, neither are big or great in the air and they may have to adapt their shape to suit both. I think rednose rates Saha a lot, and I can see some selection problems arising as a result.

I think our midfield will score more goals, and I fully expect Alonso to chip in with a few more this season. Benayoun can score goals, and can unlock defences. Kuyt will probably score a few more this season, Crouch is always a threat and Torres will provide us with another dimension entirely. I'm not putting a huge burden on Babel, I'm just saying I think he is going to turn a few heads this season, I'm not expecting 10 goals next season from him but I think he is capabe of it nonetheless. I think Kewell will be able to provide more crosses, and he has the quality on the left that we lacked so much last season. Pennant's not realy a goalscoring winger, but I'm sure he can make up for that in assists and crosses tha thelp create openings. I also expect Gerrard to score more this season.
LFC2007

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:01 pm

Is Tevez a done deal then?

Can't access soccernet for some reason..... I thought this was still being sorted out? Anybody know?
ConnO'var

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:22 pm

ConnO'var wrote:Is Tevez a done deal then?

Can't access soccernet for some reason..... I thought this was still being sorted out? Anybody know?

Not exactly, mate! :D

__
Soccernet:

Hammers block Tevez Man Utd medical

Manchester United's hopes of Carlos Tevez undergoing a medical on Wednesday are in limbo after they failed to secure permission for the tests from West Ham.

The Argentina striker was due to fly in to Manchester tonight and United had been preparing to put the 23-year-old to go through a series of fitness and medical checks.

However, one club is not allowed to give a player a medical unless his current club agree and although United have made West Ham aware of their wishes, the London side will not give formal permission for a medical until they have been made - and accepted - an offer.

West Ham remain adamant they hold Tevez's registration, that he is contracted to them for another three years and that they have unilaterally terminated all third-party agreements with Tevez's representative Kia Joorabchian.

Joorabchian maintains his company Media Sports Investments (MSI) own the economic rights to the player, who has already agreed personal terms with Manchester United.

United chief executive David Gill, who is in the Far East on the club's tour, insisted yesterday a medical would take place this week but said the deal had become 'over-complicated'.

Gill said: 'Effectively, we are trying to work with four parties - the player, West Ham, the company who own Carlos' economic rights and the Premier League - in order to sort it out.

'The process is ongoing. The player will have a medical at some point this week, then we will take it from there.

'We still have to sort out the paperwork but we are confident that can be achieved in the course of the next week or so.'

United are understood to have agreed an initial loan deal for Tevez with a view to a permanent transfer, a similar deal to that which took Javier Mascherano from West Ham to Liverpool in January.

That hit a stumbling block however because in January, West Ham cancelled Mascherano's registration.

The Premier League are not allowing the club to do the same procedure with Tevez on the basis that such a move would indicate the original agreements with Joorabchian were still binding despite assurances to the contrary.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ray Pugh » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:25 am

You never know though some players do settle straight away, look at Benni McCarthy. So Mr Torres and Mr Babel may fire us all the way to the title!! Just trying to be optomistic for once
Last edited by Ray Pugh on Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Pugh

Postby westhamrob » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:06 pm

i reckon lfc will be challenging for title, imo it will be between lfc and man u
westhamrob

Postby westhamrob » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:08 pm

torres>pizzaro,shevchenko,etc
benayoun>sidwell,kalou,etc
babel>SWP,etc

all of lfc's new signings are better than chelsea's new ones and better than alot of there current players
westhamrob

Postby Paul C » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:38 am

westhamrob wrote:torres>pizzaro,shevchenko,etc
benayoun>sidwell,kalou,etc
babel>SWP,etc

all of lfc's new signings are better than chelsea's new ones and better than alot of there current players

I certainly hope so Rob, Man U have brought in quality this summer but it will be interesting to see how they gel, look at Veron when they bought him, he was one of the best midfielders in the world and left United as a BIG failure, I hope the same happens with Nani, Anderson and Tevez  :eyebrow

I can't see Chelsea being the same team they were 2 seasons ago and Arsenal are going to miss Henry as he was their main goal threat  :buttrock

West Ham are going to be a different side this season, I think you'll finish top ten.
Last edited by Paul C on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:39 pm

If chelsea go back to 4-3-3 they will be very strong.  I think Mourinho now realises last year they lacked width and i think they may go back to 4-4-3.  Thats the system to get the best out of Robben.
puroresu

Postby Ray Pugh » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:52 pm

puroresu wrote:If chelsea go back to 4-3-3 they will be very strong.  I think Mourinho now realises last year they lacked width and i think they may go back to 4-4-3.  Thats the system to get the best out of Robben.

I little confusing I think there.

I reckon they would be extremely strong if they play 4-4-3, unless you are meaning no goalkeeper then they would be extremely weak me thinks
Ray Pugh

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:36 pm

Ray Pugh wrote:
puroresu wrote:If chelsea go back to 4-3-3 they will be very strong.  I think Mourinho now realises last year they lacked width and i think they may go back to 4-4-3.  Thats the system to get the best out of Robben.

I reckon they would be extremely strong if they play 4-4-3, unless you are meaning no goalkeeper then they would be extremely weak me thinks

4-4-3
:laugh:
he means 4-4-2
and yes chelsea were great in that formation
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Reg » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:31 pm

Ray Pugh wrote:

Spotted Ray, you´re getting the hang of it round here now !  :rasp
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill