Gareth Barry TRANSFER is On * / Off * - *Delete where appropriate

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby LFC_fan » Fri May 02, 2008 1:36 pm

Now that our season is done, (well, 2 meaningless league games withstanding), everybody's attention has been turned toward the new season, including Rafa's. Apprently, less than 24 hours after being knocked out of the champs league, he has already tabled a 10mil bid for barry.

The best medicine after losing a big game is to look forward to the next (game / season)and what can bring more joy than all the transfer speculations / players linked / etc etc for the next few months when we get over the withdrawal period in the summer.

=======================

Liverpool open bidding for £10m Barry

Liverpool are understood to have launched their bid to sign Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry by tabling an initial £10million offer.

The Reds are believed to have formally contacted Villa yesterday with their bid for the England midfielder.

There has been speculation for the past fortnight that 27-year-old Barry has emerged as one of Rafael Benitez's major summer transfer tasrgets.

It remains to be seen whether Villa manager Martin O'Neill will accept the bid for Barry who has two years to run of his current contract.

But Benitez wants Barry to form a partnership with his England colleague and close friend Steven Gerrard.

Barry, who celebrates the 10th anniversary of making his Villa debut next week, has made no secret of his desire to play Champions League football.

He is on more than £40,000 a week at Villa and could come close to doubling that if he moved to Anfield or Chelsea who have also been linked with the player.

But it the desire to win trophies that is uppermost in Barry's mind at this stage of his career.

The former Brighton trainee has already expressed a desire to hold talks with Villa manager Martin O'Neill to assess what his transfer plans are for the 2008-2009 campaign.

Villa are challenging strongly for a UEFA Cup spot but Barry wants to see whether Villa are in a position to move to the next level.

O'Neill pulled off a masterstroke in persuading Barry to sign a new four-year deal when he took charge of Villa in the summer of 2006.

But he may find it harder to persuade Barry to sign a new contract and to convince him to stay with the midlands club.
================

Source : http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=530957&cc=3436

Source is pretty reliable and if ppl ask why this isnt reported in the official site, its because they dont usually announce such things until the player actually signs anyway.

So, gareth barry, the first player we have officially put in a bid for  . Where the hell u guys think rafa will be deploying him. Does this mean the end of Alonso?
===========================

edit : just saw a similar post about barry's bid in the alonso thread, mods, u can either delete this one or do some merging and make a transfer season thread, or simply bump up the old one. Leave it in your hands.
LFC_fan

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 02, 2008 1:37 pm

rumours...
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Fri May 02, 2008 1:46 pm

It was on the radio as well,Martin O'Neil confirmed it at his press conference!

Seems that if Barry wants to,he'll be wearing the red shirt next season! :nod
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Fri May 02, 2008 1:50 pm

He also said there were LFC players offered as part of the deal!
But did not say exactly who....................I wonder who they are! :p
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri May 02, 2008 1:52 pm

Sky Sports News have it scrolling across the screen now.

O'Neill confirmed it.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Fri May 02, 2008 2:08 pm

no quotes... but quite substantial anyway:

SSN:

Reds' Barry bid confirmed
Player-exchange deal offered by Reds

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill has confirmed Liverpool have made a bid for Gareth Barry.

Reports earlier on Friday had suggested Liverpool had made a firm move to try and lure Barry to Anfield by making an approach to Villa.

Barry is widely believed to be high on the list of Rafa Benitez's summer transfer targets as he looks to build a squad capable of mounting a serious title challenge.

The England international's future has been the subject of speculation in recent weeks with Chelsea also thought to be keen on his signature.

Barry, who has two years to run on his current contract, recently admitted he might have to consider his future at Villa as he wants to be challenging for honours at this stage of his career.

O'Neill confirmed Liverpool boss Benitez had offered a player-exchange for Barry with reports suggesting Scott Carson or Peter Crouch could be included in any deal.

Carson is currently on a season-long loan at Villa Park from Liverpool, while Crouch's future at Anfield is up in the air as he has struggled to hold down a place in the side this season.

It now remains to be seen if the two clubs can strike a deal with O'Neill thought to be interested in bringing Crouch back to Villa Park
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri May 02, 2008 2:09 pm

Huntelaar!

And also exploiting Valencia too might be a good idea.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri May 02, 2008 2:23 pm

dawson99 wrote:rumours...

its better than thinking about our CL exit mate
account deleted by request

Postby The_Rock » Fri May 02, 2008 2:31 pm

I actually like gareth barry and think he might offer more than alonso does in the 4-3-2-1 formation (ie...gerrard, barry and mascherano will be a better fit than gerrard, alonso and mascherano).

Barry is more mobile.....so we should be able to stretch the players more...

I would also love it if we get world class wing players (right wing, left wing, right back and left back)....

We may have to sell a few of our players to fund this though (crouch, pennant, alonso, i am hoping kuyt.... :p )
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri May 02, 2008 2:39 pm

Come on Gareth, join Liverpool.

We can give Villa Voronin in exchange.

:p
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Fri May 02, 2008 2:47 pm

I'd rather see Barry at left back. Riise has been here a year to long, Aurelio has been here 10 years to long (considering he only joined in 2007, shows how little I rate him) I would like us to sell Riise and Aurelio and keep Alonso. We'd still have Insua as immidiate cover along with Arbeloa if needed, as well as Barry if injuries hit us badly in the middle of the park.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 02, 2008 2:49 pm

Why sell Aurelio whos been injured and if u ask me shows promise...
Barry would be a good signing tho
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri May 02, 2008 2:51 pm

I honestly can't see Barry coming if it was to play LB. He has won his England place playing midfield and I am sure he will be looking to play there wherever he goes.

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Fri May 02, 2008 3:05 pm

dawson...why sell aurelio? because he's useless IMO. I can't see why people rave about him so highly. Even when he's been fit, people run rings around him.

saint...barry would join Liverpool even if he was told to play in goal. There's more prestige, more money (probably) and more coverage for the lad and the only reason I want Barry at left back, is because our central midfielders as a collective unit are the best in the premiership whereas our left back position is rather average at best. Teams around us have better left backs than ourselves...Evra, Cole, Clichy, Lescott, Barry (if played there) Warnock, Garrido (man city) McCartney (west ham) I'd say only Portsmouth out of the top 10 don't have a left back I'd take ahead of Riise/Aurelio. Herman Hriedasson, isn't for me a great left back, he's a good centre half though.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby account deleted by request » Fri May 02, 2008 3:13 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:dawson...why sell aurelio? because he's useless IMO. I can't see why people rave about him so highly. Even when he's been fit, people run rings around him.

saint...barry would join Liverpool even if he was told to play in goal. There's more prestige, more money (probably) and more coverage for the lad and the only reason I want Barry at left back, is because our central midfielders as a collective unit are the best in the premiership whereas our left back position is rather average at best. Teams around us have better left backs than ourselves...Evra, Cole, Clichy, Lescott, Barry (if played there) Warnock, Garrido (man city) McCartney (west ham) I'd say only Portsmouth out of the top 10 don't have a left back I'd take ahead of Riise/Aurelio. Herman Hriedasson, isn't for me a great left back, he's a good centre half though.

The thing is though John, if it was a left back we were after, we could get a better left back than Barry for a lot less money. Bridge would only cost about £5/6 million. If you are paying £10million we could get a topclass Leftback rather than someone who "can play there".

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill