Malouda eh.......what you reckon?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:44 pm

Is this the same Malouda that was complete garbage for France at the world cup last summer?  I know it's harsh to judge a player on one tournament, but I seriously remember wondering why the hell this guy was getting a game in a world cup.  No end product at all.

Admittedly I haven't followed the French league at all this season and allegedly the lad's been good.  But even so, it's a rubbish league and I haven't seen him stand out in any of Lyon's CL games, of which I watched a few.

Having said all that, Rafa doesn't seem to be a fan of shopping in France and for that reason I'm not convinced there's much truth in these rumours.  Even so, I for one wouldn't be getting too excited about this one.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:15 pm

john craig wrote:Is this the same Malouda that was complete garbage for France at the world cup last summer?  I know it's harsh to judge a player on one tournament, but I seriously remember wondering why the hell this guy was getting a game in a world cup.  No end product at all.

Admittedly I haven't followed the French league at all this season and allegedly the lad's been good.  But even so, it's a rubbish league and I haven't seen him stand out in any of Lyon's CL games, of which I watched a few.

Having said all that, Rafa doesn't seem to be a fan of shopping in France and for that reason I'm not convinced there's much truth in these rumours.  Even so, I for one wouldn't be getting too excited about this one.

Malouda was very good against Madrid Home and away.  Anyway if we was to judge on standout performances in one of games then we should be signing John Carew. He was awesome v Real Madrid twice and caused them all kinds of trouble.

What more do u want Malouda to do?  Week in week out he does the business for Lyon.  Far more consistent than Ribery (a fantastic player) and for me would do fine on for us on the LW.

You may not think the French League is all that but surely that doesnt mean players can only be signed from England, Spain or Italy? If anything somewhere like France is a great market due to the amount of quality that comes from that league.
puroresu

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:23 pm

i do like malouda, i feel he will get us a lot of goals from midfield which we need.
however his price tag is a bit of a question mark? £16/17 million?
mind you, if bellamy is worth £9m and bent is worth £17m you can kind of understand it....maybe....or not. :D
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:30 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:i do like malouda, i feel he will get us a lot of goals from midfield which we need.
however his price tag is a bit of a question mark? £16/17 million?
mind you, if bellamy is worth £9m and bent is worth £17m you can kind of understand it....maybe....or not. :D

I can see exactly why Lyon value him so highly when u look at what the market is like all over Europe esp England.  Ribery went for £16 mil and last season Malouda was better than Ribery.

Lyon would take less than £17 mil its just u have to get kinda close to there valuation. Im thinking £12 - £14 mil.  £10 mil is not enough.  If he goes somwhere else for £13 mil I will be disappointed.
puroresu

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:56 pm

maguskwt wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:If you consider Malouda or Simao average, what does that make Pennant?

And where are the wingers out there who you consider above average?

You get worried over a few unconfirmed press reports and say that we are missing out on Tevez - even when we KNOW the situation with MSI and his West Ham contract is HIGHLY likely to delay any possible move to ANY club. It's not as simple as championship manager.

As for the part about there WILL be a press report linking us with a player, that is complete and utter rubbish. How many times do the press completely fabricate a story, or at the very least make incredibly misleading judgements? It sells papers, don't you get it!

"It looks to me as we're never willing to pay top money for players"

Based on what?

Big money transfers don't often happen overnight, in the past we have never had the big money backing for top players, now by all accounts we will.

But there is no time for patience and considered thinking in your book is there?

What the mancs do is none of our business whatsoever, we may have targets that are playing in la liga an there is no way a deal would be announced before its conclusion.

As for other players in other leagues, how many top transfers have gone through?

Not many at all.

In summary you base your argument on ifs and buts and stupid press reports that have little or no weight and are often misconstrued.

You don't know what is going on behind the scenes with transfers, it takes time to sign up Gerrard, Carra, Alonso and Reina, whilst also bringing in Leiva, two youngsters, striking a new academy deal with MTK, getting the stadium plans in order/finalised etc.... No other club has done so much work as we have in such a short space of time.

My optimism is not misplaced, it is showing perspective based on what we know and the record of what the owners have said.

If you have no faith in the owners and Rafa to deliver, fine, I don't give a rats ar.se what you think.

if you don't give a "rats ar.se" what i think then don't bother giving an 18-sentence reply...

where did I say malouda and simao are average? I said I don't mind "average" wingers to emphasize my point about needing a top striker... oh but of course I forgot to mention my posts are not very nit-pick proof... what do i think of pennant? he's average and that's why I wasn't even talking about him...but I do mind below average wingers like zenden and gonzalez...and i got no reason to tell you wingers I think are above average when it is not the point of my discussion...

Yes we are missing out on Tevez... you don't think so? I will apologise to you 4 times on here if we sign tevez permanently or on loan... I will be so happy that I won't mind doing somthing rubbish like that... if the ownership of the player is so complicated how did we get mascherano so easily? do YOU know for a fact what's happening?

Oh sure I do get that papers spread rumours to sell...what I'm concerned is not having any rumours at all... if there's any move by us on tevez or eto'o there will be rumours... those kinda info always leaks... so what? rafa and parry are so stealthy that they can seal deals without anyone noticing now? don't make me laugh...

you can naively believe whatever the owners say... don't forget though that they ARE businessmen and they have shrewd PR skills... not to mention they are yanks...and yanks always tend to say pretty things...what do you expect lol... I on the other hand choose to take whatever they say with a pinch of salt...

I don't give a rats ar.se if you want to have no faith in the current management and current owners.

"I don't mind an average winger which is why i don't mind seeing us linked with malouda, or simao or whoever"

Am I missing something in that quote?
It quite clearly implies you consider them to be average wingers. You wouldn't mind an average winger which is why you don't mind us being linked with them. It seems pretty clear to me.

So we are missing out on Tevez, just like every other top club in this world. Mascherano took a while to sign and his clearance took an age to come through aswell. Tevez hasn't got the problems of being invloved in a tribunal that will determine whether West Ham will remain in the EPL either. Mascherano never impressed at West Ham, Tevez was their player of the year - making it more difficult to negotiate a deal with MSI and West Ham. No different to Mascherano? Think again.

Rumours on deals come and go, we've been linked to X million number of players, you pay more credence to the rumours suggesting we may sign Bent than you do to ones linking us with Tevez. That's your prerogative.

I'm naive because I show perspective in my arguments? Good one. Whereas you show the naivity to believe the sh!t you read in the tabloids, and are as naive to think that the owners won't back us even when it's in their own interests. Not committed owners? Is £450 not comittment, that plus a new stadium? These guys are successful billionaires for a reason. If they can find that type of money I'm sure they can find enough to back Rafa this transfer window.

You may be anti-yank, they may be more animated and enthusiastic than your typical owner, but what is there to suggest they wouldn't back Rafa? It is in their interests and they know that.
LFC2007

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:29 pm

puroresu wrote:
john craig wrote:Is this the same Malouda that was complete garbage for France at the world cup last summer?  I know it's harsh to judge a player on one tournament, but I seriously remember wondering why the hell this guy was getting a game in a world cup.  No end product at all.

Malouda was very good against Madrid Home and away.  Anyway if we was to judge on standout performances in one of games then we should be signing John Carew. He was awesome v Real Madrid twice and caused them all kinds of trouble.

What more do u want Malouda to do?  Week in week out he does the business for Lyon.  Far more consistent than Ribery (a fantastic player) and for me would do fine on for us on the LW.

You may not think the French League is all that but surely that doesnt mean players can only be signed from England, Spain or Italy? If anything somewhere like France is a great market due to the amount of quality that comes from that league.

I disagree about Malouda being 'very good' home and away versus Madrid.  Not that that would have any bearing whatsoever about whether I think he'd be a good signing or not.

Why the John Carew comment?  Not following you there chief.

I'm also not saying we should only sign players from England, Italy or Spain - your words - I'm simply pointing out the fact that we need to be very careful when dealing in the French market as we've been disappointed so many times in the past.  I don't think I need to name names.

The facts are that Malouda has performed well in the French league, but less well in the CL and was anonymous for France in last year's World Cup.  Does the fact he had a poor WC mean he's a bad player?  Of course not.  Does the fact he has failed to impress in any other competition outside the French league mean we should be careful?  You better believe it.

The French league loses all of it's home grown stars to foreign teams, French Internationals rarely play in France bar when they're just breaking through or winding down their careers.  It's a slow league where referees are very protective of the players.  It's everything the Premiership isn't and it's a big step up coming over to play in the Premiership.  It doesn't mean we can never sign players from France, it does mean we need to have done serious homework on potential targets from over there.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kobashi » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:36 pm

he is going chelsea for 20m Euro (£13m - £14m)
kobashi

Postby destro » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:43 pm

The latest is that he has until 30th June to  change clubs, there are said to be three English clubs interested, im guessing thats us Arsenal and Chelsea. They still want 17million for him and looks as though that fee will not change ( not lower anyway ). They ( Lyon ) base their valuation on the fee Bayern payed for Ribery.
destro

Postby parchpea » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:50 pm

I think that £17m is a fair enough price in the current market.

Utd paid £35m combined for two rookies and given that Malouda is an established international and champs league regular then Lyon have it about right.

Lyon area top team in their own right so are entitled to expect adequate compensation for losing a key player.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:50 pm

LFC2007 wrote:I don't give a rats ar.se if you want to have no faith in the current management and current owners.

"I don't mind an average winger which is why i don't mind seeing us linked with malouda, or simao or whoever"

Am I missing something in that quote?
It quite clearly implies you consider them to be average wingers. You wouldn't mind an average winger which is why you don't mind us being linked with them. It seems pretty clear to me.

So we are missing out on Tevez, just like every other top club in this world. Mascherano took a while to sign and his clearance took an age to come through aswell. Tevez hasn't got the problems of being invloved in a tribunal that will determine whether West Ham will remain in the EPL either. Mascherano never impressed at West Ham, Tevez was their player of the year - making it more difficult to negotiate a deal with MSI and West Ham. No different to Mascherano? Think again.

Rumours on deals come and go, we've been linked to X million number of players, you pay more credence to the rumours suggesting we may sign Bent than you do to ones linking us with Tevez. That's your prerogative.

I'm naive because I show perspective in my arguments? Good one. Whereas you show the naivity to believe the sh!t you read in the tabloids, and are as naive to think that the owners won't back us even when it's in their own interests. Not committed owners? Is £450 not comittment, that plus a new stadium? These guys are successful billionaires for a reason. If they can find that type of money I'm sure they can find enough to back Rafa this transfer window.

You may be anti-yank, they may be more animated and enthusiastic than your typical owner, but what is there to suggest they wouldn't back Rafa? It is in their interests and they know that.

If you need to know, yes, I do consider malouda as a very average winger... he's about as average as pennant... he may have better finishing ability but I'm not even sure if he has the same wing play support skills as penant... I prefer simao... he's above average imo...

and... this is getting pointless... you have your own opinions... I have mine... you don't give a rats ar.se about what i think...i don't give a rats ar.se about what you think... there's really no use nit-picking each other... we'll see what happens... we'll see who we sign this summer...

if we spend like 40-50 million or more and we still won't win the title then it will mean that despite owner's backing we have failed... and pressure will be on rafa

if we spend less than 30 million and we fail...then it can be considered that the owners didn't back rafa fully... and the owners will get alot of stick from fans...

whatever the case if we're not competing for the title come march... it will be considered a disappointing season... this is really rafa's make or break season...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:22 pm

maguskwt wrote:if we spend like 40-50 million or more and we still won't win the title then it will mean that despite owner's backing we have failed... and pressure will be on rafa

if we spend less than 30 million and we fail...then it can be considered that the owners didn't back rafa fully... and the owners will get alot of stick from fans...

whatever the case if we're not competing for the title come march... it will be considered a disappointing season... this is really rafa's make or break season...

1) why must we spend a certain amount of money to show we are serious contenders? no one at LFC has mentioned money. rafa did however mention player specific

2) make or break for rafa? why? says who?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Penguins » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:10 pm

parchpea wrote:I think that £17m is a fair enough price in the current market.

Utd paid £35m combined for two rookies and given that Malouda is an established international and champs league regular then Lyon have it about right.

Lyon area top team in their own right so are entitled to expect adequate compensation for losing a key player.

17 million fair amount for Malouda?

No f****ing way. I am never going to be convinced that a left midfielder from the french league is worth that amount.
Then Downing and MGP should be worth 25 million since he is proven in the PL.
For me around 20-25 million should get you a world class left/right mid.
17 million is almost that and Malouda is not world class at all.

Lyon and real madrid are the 2 last clubs in the world I want us to be doing business with. Lyon always demands excessive prices for their players making it impossible to do a fair deal with them. Sure, they have good players, but they also make sure you overpay for anything they've got.

And Nani and Anderson are 2 of the most promising players in Europe today with potential in aboundance.
Malouda is 27 and will not develop his game any more.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:43 am

Penguins wrote:
parchpea wrote:I think that £17m is a fair enough price in the current market.

17 million fair amount for Malouda?

No f****ing way. I am never going to be convinced that a left midfielder from the french league is worth that amount.
Then Downing and MGP should be worth 25 million since he is proven in the PL.
For me around 20-25 million should get you a world class left/right mid.
17 million is almost that and Malouda is not world class at all.

Lyon and real madrid are the 2 last clubs in the world I want us to be doing business with. Lyon always demands excessive prices for their players making it impossible to do a fair deal with them. Sure, they have good players, but they also make sure you overpay for anything they've got.

And Nani and Anderson are 2 of the most promising players in Europe today with potential in aboundance.
Malouda is 27 and will not develop his game any more.

If you don't rate Malouda, who would you suggest we sign that is in your price range (£20-25m) who we could conceivably sign?

Lyon may demand high prices but what would you expect, it is in their interests to hold out for as much as they can. Essien appeared to be overpriced, but given his performances at Chelsea I'd say you wouldn't find many midfielders in the world better than him at that price.

I disagree that Malouda cannot develop, plenty of players move to other leagues in their latter years and prove their worth in abundance. Nani and Anderson have nothing to do with us, they may have the capacity to improve as individuals more so because of their age, but at this stage in our development I'd much rather have Malouda over those two. We don't need expensive teenagers, imo we need players who are 24,25,26 + who have done the business in a european league over a consistent period.
LFC2007

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:56 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
maguskwt wrote:if we spend like 40-50 million or more and we still won't win the title then it will mean that despite owner's backing we have failed... and pressure will be on rafa

1) why must we spend a certain amount of money to show we are serious contenders? no one at LFC has mentioned money. rafa did however mention player specific

2) make or break for rafa? why? says who?

we need to spend a certain amount of money simply because of today's market prices for players... lyon is asking 17 mil for malouda and that's just 1 player...and not even the top class signing we're hoping for... so yeah if we get better deals then all the better for us... so my opinion is that to improve our squad considerably to challenge the title we will need to spend upwards of 30 million...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1182161184 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:04 pm

Malouda!  Yet another Slightly better than average Championsd League player!!  We need more than this fella will ever offer.

Essien was the star of Lyon - And Chelsea snapped him up.  Diarra was a poor mans Essien and he went to Madrid, and now we're linked with Malouda! 

He's not what we need IMO.  We need top quality additions, not more decent squad players.
66-1182161184

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill