Florent malouda - Independent article links us

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue May 29, 2007 1:37 am

Not a massively convincing piece - using a quote that was widely circulated last week...

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2591483.ece

Benitez's pursuit of Malouda to test Liverpool resolve
By Andy Hunter
Published: 29 May 2007

The France international Florent Malouda has emerged as a test of Liverpool's transfer resolve this summer with Rafael Benitez hoping to beat a host of leading European clubs to the £10m-rated Lyon midfielder.

"We can sign two top class targets for €15 - €20m [£10m - £13.5m] right now," the Liverpool manager revealed during the remarkable onslaught on Anfield's transfer policy that followed defeat in the European Cup final last week and it is understood the 26-year-old, recently voted the Players' Player of the Year in France, is one of the candidates the Spaniard had in mind as he appealed for swift and decisive action from the club's new American owners.

Benitez's scouting department tracked Malouda throughout last season when 10 league goals in 27 starts helped the former Liverpool manager - and now former Lyon manager - Gérard Houllier deliver a sixth consecutive title. He has since informed Lyon that he wishes to end his four-year career there, despite being under contract until 2011, and Liverpool have made their interest clear to a left midfielder who has also been linked with moves to Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, Milan and Juventus.

Established in the French national team and ambitious to play abroad, Malouda represents the calibre of signing Benitez requested from George Gillett and Tom Hicks during what he heralded as a pivotal summer in Liverpool's history. The Spaniard also warned Liverpool they must move quickly to beat their rivals in the transfer market, and it would represent a statement of intent from the Americans - far more effectively than their public assurances have done - if they can conclude a deal in the face of intense competition for the Lyon winger.

Benitez has denied that a prolific goalscorer is the obvious answer to Liverpool's current shortcomings and is instead intent on improving the supply to his forward line, having informed left midfielders Bolo Zenden and Mark Gonzalez they are free to leave.

Malouda rose to international prominence during last summer's World Cup when, having been omitted from France's first group game, he impressed as an ever-present and won the penalty that enabled Zinedine Zidane to open the scoring against Italy in the final. The winger has maintained his form at club level, scoring three times in the Champions League campaign, and Aulas has declared that any deal must be concluded within the next month to avoid the disruption caused when Michael Essien and Mahamadou Diarra left at the tail-end of previous summers.

"This year I will make the decision," vowed the Lyon chairman. "Late departures put us in danger. If Eric [Abidal] or Florent leave, and in the worst case only one will leave, it will only be before 30 June."

Benitez received some positive news yesterday when the Marseilles president, Pape Diouf, confirmed his club remain keen on signing Liverpool striker Djibril Cissé on a permanent transfer. The 25-year-old spent last season on loan at Stade Vélodrome where he scored 14 goals in 26 appearances after recovering from a career-threatening broken leg, and Liverpool hope to recoup some of their £14m outlay on the forward - still their club record transfer fee - to swell their manager's budget.

Liverpool have agreed a deal to bring in two young Hungarian strikers this summer. Krisztian Nemeth, 18, and Andras Simon, 17, who both starred for their country in last year's Uefa Under-17 championships, will move to Merseyside from MTK Hungaria.
ivor_the_injun

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue May 29, 2007 4:11 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:Benitez has denied that a prolific goalscorer is the obvious answer to Liverpool's current shortcomings and is instead intent on improving the supply to his forward line,

thats a bit worrying, if he thinks we dont need a goal scorer then god help us, whats the point in having supply when you have nobody to finish that supply, this has been shown last season when chances were created, sometimes up to 5 times as many chances as the team we are playing against but then no goals to show for it.

if anyone thinks kuyt will ever be a prolific scorer they are seriously deluded, same for crouch and bellamy.

but i have said earlier we could buy the best players in the world and still do nothing, even the best players cant score from the bench, or even worse we have thse players and then stick them up front by themsleves and nulify their danger.

we need to attack teams in force, not be scared to venture forward, at times last season i hated watching us
112-1077774096

Postby supersaint316 » Tue May 29, 2007 6:23 am

Am i the only one that think Peter can get 20 a season if he is given the same games as say Rooney? i think he could get 20 easy!
supersaint316

Postby matrix » Tue May 29, 2007 7:37 am

rafa comment...      Benitez has denied that a prolific goalscorer is the obvious answer to Liverpool's current shortcomings and is instead intent on improving the supply to his forward line...

that's  rafa being rafa,  bellemy will be away soon,  the only striker we have that has pace...

of course we will buy a new striker,  dont you get that feeling rafa isn't  keen on spending big money on a forward...  tbh  i want tevez to join us,  he would be ideal for us...   :;):

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Tue May 29, 2007 7:57 am

i would like too see him here...gud player but i hope rafa do not abandon in planning to buy a top striker...!!!

I guess malouda and tevez are his 2 top players he's hoping to sign for €15 - €20m [£10m - £13.5m]
Elchris

Postby puroresu » Tue May 29, 2007 9:19 am

Liverpool target Florent Malouda is hoping to resolve his future as soon as possible.

The 26-year-old is considering leaving Lyon for a fresh challenge with a number of top clubs across Europe tracking the winger.

Lyon are ready to listen to offers for the French international and could sell him at the right price.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is hoping to steal a march on his rivals by tabling a bid for the left-sided midfielder.

Benitez is looking to bring in a new wide man with Bolo Zenden and Mark Gonzalez both set to move on from Anfield.

The Spaniard is now hoping to be given the nod to make a move for Malouda with the French Player of the Year waiting to see what happens during the transfer window.

"If nothing happens from now that means the clubs who have approached me are not convinced," Malouda was quoted as saying in the Mirror.

"If that's the case, there is no point in leaving - I don't want to go wherever.

"If I leave it will be under the best circumstances for me and for Lyon

Refreshing to see a player making sure his club gets the best deal possible.  I think Malouda would cost a bit more than £13 mil.  £15 mil - £18 mil

Very very good player howevever him alone and no striker is not the answer.

Malouda or Nani would be fine signings for me.
puroresu

Postby davo_LFC » Tue May 29, 2007 9:53 am

Its also in the echo about a possible transfer for malouda, hes a good player from what i have seen and he can score goals from midfield which is something which we are sorely lacking. I think that 'supposed' quote from rafa about strikers not being the problem is wan.k journo because it seems like rafa saying that we dont score enough from midfield automatically means he is saying the stikers are not the problem in their eyes. Well both need addressing and i am sure rafa knows that better than anybody.

I'd be happy with this signing though, hes a good player and hes not afraid to put a shift in defensivley either but we all know its his attacking abilities that matter and he'd be a top player for us i reckon.
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby GaryStew1980 » Tue May 29, 2007 11:00 am

I really do not like the like the look of Malouda he seemed very very average for France in the last World Cup also despite 10 goals lets remeber Diouf scored 10 goals 2 seasons running in France and Cisse scores for fun over there so that shows the quality of the league
GaryStew1980

Postby Moosey » Tue May 29, 2007 11:19 am

Is he left or right mid?
Moosey

Postby puroresu » Tue May 29, 2007 11:26 am

GaryStew1980 wrote:I really do not like the like the look of Malouda he seemed very very average for France in the last World Cup also despite 10 goals lets remeber Diouf scored 10 goals 2 seasons running in France and Cisse scores for fun over there so that shows the quality of the league

I find it funny how anyone can doubt the quality of the French League.  How many players do they have to export to England, Spain or Italy before there league is finally given the quality stamp approval.  England wishes it could export the quality which france does to other leagues. There youth systems are 2nd to none and since the late 90's French football has produced plenty of gems. French Football is a very good standard and its only those that dont watch it seem to think otherwise.  U can use the argument of Cisse scoring plenty in France but not in England. Yet at the same time one could argue that the likes of Morientes, Saviola, Di Vaio, Saha, Henry, Anelka and Kanoute, Elber and Baros didnt score many in France yet have have scored goals elsewhere.  If u actually look at how many players have managed to hit 20 + is one season in Lique 1 in recent years u will see it isnt many.

Malouda is not a striker and 10 goals from Left midfield is a great return. He got players player of the year which is a great achievement.
puroresu

Postby radun5 » Tue May 29, 2007 11:32 am

GaryStew1980 wrote:I really do not like the like the look of Malouda he seemed very very average for France in the last World Cup also despite 10 goals lets remeber Diouf scored 10 goals 2 seasons running in France and Cisse scores for fun over there so that shows the quality of the league

Have you actually see him play ? To say that ?
radun5

Postby kobashi » Tue May 29, 2007 11:49 am

more English ignorance I see.  Florent malouda  is better than any LW in the EPL at the moment!  he has been quality for at least 4 seasons now.  Why should he be doubted because he plays in France? 

Try actually watching ligue 1 before you start dissing the league.
kobashi

Postby LFC2007 » Tue May 29, 2007 3:15 pm

kobashi wrote:more English ignorance I see.  Florent malouda  is better than any LW in the EPL at the moment!  he has been quality for at least 4 seasons now.  Why should he be doubted because he plays in France? 

Firstly, cut the 'English' ignorance remarks out, the guy was giving his opinion.

You insinuate that this ignorance is an 'English' trait, get a clue mate.

Secondly, I strongly disagree that Malouda has been better than any EPL left mid over the past 4 seasons. A league that is widely regarded to have less quality than England, Spain and Italy. Would you even say he's been better than Giggs? Or Ljungberg/Pires in the 03/04 season?

I don't think so.
LFC2007

Postby puroresu » Tue May 29, 2007 3:35 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
kobashi wrote:more English ignorance I see.  Florent malouda  is better than any LW in the EPL at the moment!  he has been quality for at least 4 seasons now.  Why should he be doubted because he plays in France? 

Firstly, cut the 'English' ignorance remarks out, the guy was giving his opinion.

You insinuate that this ignorance is an 'English' trait, get a clue mate.

Secondly, I strongly disagree that Malouda has been better than any EPL left mid over the past 4 seasons. A league that is widely regarded to have less quality than England, Spain and Italy. Would you even say he's been better than Giggs? Or Ljungberg/Pires in the 03/04 season?

I don't think so.

He wasnt saying he was better than Pires in that season or giggs.  He was saying Malouda has been quality for 4 years and at this moment in time there is no better LW in the EPL.  Malouda is coming into his prime and will only get better.  U dont get the top sides all over Europe looking at u for no reason.  Its no different to doubting the qualities of Ribery for instance because he plays in lique 1 even though all the top sides in Europe would love him in there sides.

Essien is another example. Many questioned the value of his transfer and how good he really was.  Yet those in the know about French football knew Essien was the real deal.
puroresu

Postby Moosey » Tue May 29, 2007 3:41 pm

If he left mid we should be busting a gut to get anyone half decent in there!

For those who still cling to the pipedream that harry will awaken from his deep slumber and rip defences apart il see you next season for the same discussion
Moosey

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill