Daniel alves to red men? - £8million bid on table.

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu May 18, 2006 2:17 pm

I have to say Ace you must have been watching a different game last wednesday 'cos Alves was outstanding. He was one of the major thorns in middleboro's side. I also saw him play again on saturday against Barca and on Tuesday against Real Madrid and he was again outstanding in both games especially against Madrid were I think he scored a screamer of a goal (but i may be wrong on that bit). Most Brazilian 'Right-Backs' can't be arsed defending so i think he'd be allowed to just go with his attacking instincts and i think with the pace he's got would be a very good acquisition for us.
I can see this deal coming off as we've been looking at him for about a year now and his recent performances have been very good which may just sway Rafa to make the bid.

As for downing WTF? He's very good but why do we need another left winger with Gonzo coming in this summer and the expected arrival of Aurelio at LB allowing Riise to also be used at LW (assuming he ain't going anywhere. Am i right in thinking he signed a new deal not so long ago ? Answers on a postcard please!) Just paper bollox again me thinks.  :eyebrow
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu May 18, 2006 2:21 pm

According to the echo he's one of the top transfer targets  :buttrock

Alves on Benitez wanted list May 18 2006

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

SEVILLE winger Daniel Alves is one of Rafa Benitez's top summer targets.

However, the Reds are bracing themselves for a tough battle for the Brazilian, with his club reluctant to sell and Barcelona emerging as rivals for his signature.

Alves has been a long-term target for manager Benitez, and now he's planning a £7m raid for the player who recently starred in the UEFA Cup Final.

The 23-year-old played right back in the emphatic victory over Middlesbrough, but Benitez sees the player filling the right midfield role which proved so difficult to fill a year ago.
However, no bid has been made to the Spanish club yet, and a deal is far from being finalised.

Seville's valuation of the Brazilian is beyond Liverpool's, and having cashed in on youngsters Jose Reyes and Sergio Ramos in recent seasons, they do not need to sell,

Ultimately, the decision lies with Alves himself. If he declares his intention to move to Anfield, it will help the Reds' cause.

Alves today took a tentative step in that direction by confirming a move to Merseyside is possible, and it's a prospect which excites him.

"Liverpool have a great team and a great manager. It makes me very proud that they are interested in me," Alves said.

"Liverpool is an appetising option because of the Spanish coach they have and because of the players they have there because they are from Spain, too.

"They will help me adapt and that makes it easier. I now have to make a decision.

"It makes me very proud that some of Europe's big teams have shown an interest in me. For every player, playing at the highest level is an objective - and clubs like Liverpool are at the top now.

"They are one of those big, important clubs, with a lot of history."

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liv....ge.html
Last edited by Ciggy on Thu May 18, 2006 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu May 18, 2006 2:31 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:I have to say Ace you must have been watching a different game last wednesday 'cos Alves was outstanding. He was one of the major thorns in middleboro's side. I also saw him play again on saturday against Barca and on Tuesday against Real Madrid and he was again outstanding in both games especially against Madrid were I think he scored a screamer of a goal (but i may be wrong on that bit). Most Brazilian 'Right-Backs' can't be arsed defending so i think he'd be allowed to just go with his attacking instincts and i think with the pace he's got would be a very good acquisition for us.
I can see this deal coming off as we've been looking at him for about a year now and his recent performances have been very good which may just sway Rafa to make the bid.

As for downing WTF? He's very good but why do we need another left winger with Gonzo coming in this summer and the expected arrival of Aurelio at LB allowing Riise to also be used at LW (assuming he ain't going anywhere. Am i right in thinking he signed a new deal not so long ago ? Answers on a postcard please!) Just paper bollox again me thinks.  :eyebrow

Think the screamer against Real was scored by the right winger Navas or something like that.
But Alves was fantastic against Boro and Real. Probably the best player on show in both games.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu May 18, 2006 2:31 pm

Does sound like I was watching a different game. Maybe I got it wrong, it just didn't look like his defending was up to scratch, but for a winger we did well. I'm sure Rafa'll get it right no matter what I say. I do think there are better right sided players out there though.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 73-1141222089 » Thu May 18, 2006 2:51 pm

If available and not exorbitantly priced.... we should get him..... all reports out of spain are really exciting and the few times I've watched him, he's been fantastic........ excellent winger who can fill in right back if required..... but like all brazillians, can be a little suspect in defence from time to time....

Don't normally make such snap judgements but I've been really impressed.....
73-1141222089

Postby red37 » Thu May 18, 2006 3:31 pm

it was navas ace v.  but he and alves looked electric at times.
if he'd fit the system (re:sissoko) then go get him i say  :nod

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby GOAT » Thu May 18, 2006 3:43 pm

Yeah i say get this guy, hes looked outstanding against boro and real, used as a right winger he could be class
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri May 19, 2006 11:02 am

It claims in todays Mirror that Kromkamp could be going to Ajax for 2.5 mill, at first i thought that might be harsh but then it says that Rafa wants a player that can cover right back and right midfield and although Kromkamp is ok going forward, he is not going to unlock defences and score goals.

If that is Rafa's plan then Alves looks tailor made for our squad.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Fri May 19, 2006 11:16 am

Apparently we are competing against Barca for Alves's signature! I am not overly woried about Barca to be honest as Alves claims he is looking for a new challenge away from Spain.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Fri May 19, 2006 11:34 am

Ace Ventura wrote:It claims in todays Mirror that Kromkamp could be going to Ajax for 2.5 mill, at first i thought that might be harsh but then it says that Rafa wants a player that can cover right back and right midfield and although Kromkamp is ok going forward, he is not going to unlock defences and score goals.

If that is Rafa's plan then Alves looks tailor made for our squad.

At first I thought the Kromkamp rumours were rubbish, but they don't seem to be going away.  I'll agree with that assessment, he looks decent and hasn't really put a foot wrong for us.  But he's no real threat attacking-wise and although Finnan's 29, he's got easily another 2-3 seasons as first choice fullback.

If it's Kromkamp's wish to go back to Holland them let him.  If on the other hand he's being forced out after 6 months then it's pretty harsh.  As far as Alves goes though, despite what he said about LFC being attractive to him, I just think if Barce come in with a serious bid he'll go there.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Fri May 19, 2006 11:43 am

I think we hold the upper hand v's Barca. OK they are the current Champs of Europe (it pains me to say) but Alves has stated that he wants a fresh challenge. A move to another spannish club is not really a new challenge. He also stated that he respects Rafa and was very pleased to hear of our interest. I believe that if we agree a fee with his club that we will get him. :;):
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri May 19, 2006 11:47 am

If Barcelona want Alves as their first choice right back or right winger(they dont really play a right winger) then he will go there.

Havent seen him play, but I would like to keep Kromkamp if he is willing to stay, Rafa doesnt really play out and out attacking fullbacks like Arsneal or Real Madrid, and Alves sounds like that sort of player, if he does come I would guess that he would come as the first choice right winger.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri May 19, 2006 11:50 am

kromkamp going wont be the end of the world imo.

if alves comes, along with finnan at RB. there is barragan, who in a year or two will step up. by that time anderson also will be more than able.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby red37 » Fri May 19, 2006 11:53 am

the mirror also keep saying that bent is rafa's number one target for striker.....

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Redman in wales » Fri May 19, 2006 12:04 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Rafa doesnt really play out and out attacking fullbacks like Arsneal or Real Madrid, and Alves sounds like that sort of player, if he does come I would guess that he would come as the first choice right winger.

i think that rafa is in the process of change... i think he doesnt want attacking RB's but he does want wing backs.

We tried it, succesfully last season, and i believe that thats the way he wants to go... if you think about Aurelo (sp?) and Alves coming in. Both wing backs... i think he will try the 352 option more espec now agger is coming through.  Maybe not all the time, As 442 just suits us and the english game, but maybe something like

Reina

Hyypia   Carra   Agger

Alves     Sissoko    Alonso      Aurelo/Riise

Gerrard            Gonzalez/Kewell

New
                    Striker
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill