Alves stays at sevilla - ....unsurprising confirmation

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby red37 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:33 pm

Sevilla keep hold of Alves

Friday, 22 December 2006

Daniel Alves has ended speculation over his future by signing a one-year extension to his contract with Spanish league leaders Sevilla FC. The Brazilian international, who had been linked with Real Madrid CF and Liverpool FC, is now under contract with the UEFA Cup holders until June 2012.

Progress

The 23-year-old has made quite an impression at Sevilla since initially signing on loan from EC Bahia in January 2003. Comfortable playing at either right back or on the right side of midfield, he has already made 123 league appearances and played a crucial role in Sevilla's UEFA Cup and UEFA Super Cup successes in 2006.

Brazil cap

He was voted Most Valuable Player of the 2005/06 UEFA Cup and followed that up by being selected as Most Valuable Player in the UEFA Super Cup final after starring in the 3-0 win over FC Barcelona. A call up to the Brazil squad followed soon after and he made his international debut in a 2-1 win against Ecuador on 10 October.

Spanish leaders

Alves scored his first league goal of the season in Wednesday’s 4-0 win against RC Deportivo La Coruña. The Andalusian side go into the winter break three points clear at the top of the Primera División.

©uefa.com 1998-2006.

Thats the end of that then......................................next!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:40 pm

I really like this player, think he could do a job for us definitely.  He's only 23, I'll wait to see what Rafa says about this if he's ever asked about him again.
jonnymac1979

Postby red37 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:14 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:I really like this player, think he could do a job for us definitely.  He's only 23, I'll wait to see what Rafa says about this if he's ever asked about him again.

I think he'll say the same johnny... i have to say, the fella impresses the hell out of me, almost each and every time ive seen him - though in fairness, Navas is an exceptional foil for his forays into the final third. Both for me would have been most welcome. Initially the intention seems to have been a preferrance for a wing-back formation, where Alves and Aurelio were the principle architects of a fluid and attacking unit....it remains to be seen whether the excecution of plans b through c, d and e find any alternative permutations for bringing about Rafa's vision of how he wants Liverpool to set-up home and away. Id be quite content to consider he has something up his sleeve....although in truth, that will probably only be revealed pending one or two off-the-field matters being resolved first. And even then, only during the summer recess.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:16 pm

If the deal with D.I.C. is done and sorted out I can still see us signing him if money isn't an object. However, with that being said Rafa won't overpay for him.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby mattylfc » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:23 pm

Think it looks very unlikely now.  Just have to hope that Sevilla hava a massive drop in form!
mattylfc

Postby red37 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:23 pm

mattylfc wrote:Think it looks very unlikely now.  Just have to hope that Sevilla hava a massive drop in form!

no sign of that yet Matty...they really are setting the pace. Good luck to em as well.  I still harbour a glimmer of hope, as you can plainly see, the Sevilla board are extremely anxious to tie Alves down for as long and as conclusively as possible.....the wolf at the door, i suspect wont be as easily dissuaded. Lets see whether these arabs share the ambition of Rafa and sanction a highly speculative (though not impossible) £10 mill+ preliminary teaser......probably in cash as well, shouldnt wonder.  Having said that, Alves has and will continue to be, instrumental to their fortunes. Though at the end of the day, if it isnt to be....then other avenues will be explored. Benitez, as stated will not be held to ransom..........not so far, he wont anyway.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:41 pm

Make no mistake, Alves the guy can play.  It's all hearsay and Rumours-Ville though until I see quotes from the horses mouth, and as far as contracts go, they can be broken. 

He's the best about at the moment for me as far as right sided players go.  I used to kiss Joaquin's arse on this forum but he went to Valencia and that's that.  He should have came to Liverpool but that's his loss.

Alves is about the best about for me at the moment and I'd love him at Liverpool.  Sevilla know what they have with him in all likelihood, they wouldn't let him go on the cheap and why should they?  They're top of La Liga... 

I'd still love him here though.  As excellent as he is and will probably be until he gives the game up, Finnan is 31 or 32 these days and Alves for me would be ideal as a replacement.
jonnymac1979

Postby stmichael » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:57 am

the way seville are performing this season, the £12m price tag we refused to pay last season looks cheap now.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby davo_LFC » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:00 pm

I saw him against valencia when they won 3-0 (i think) and he absolutely ran the show, from right back aswell!!! Kept bombing it forward at every opportunity.
He would be an excellent player for us and i hope we can sign him up, does any one know what sevilla's financial situation is at the moment?
No wonder sevilla are top though, with him and navas on the right they'd tear most teams apart.
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby Barca Murph » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:20 pm

The agent of Sevilla pair Antonio Puerta and Jesus Navas has revealed that an offer has been tabled for the duo. If Sevilla were to sell either or both it would effect them big time. It would also mean little chance of anyone doing a deal for Alves.
Barca Murph

Postby matrix » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:20 am

stmichael wrote:the way seville are performing this season, the £12m price tag we refused to pay last season looks cheap now.

i agree with you st michael,  but the truth is we didnt have 12 million to spend...    our loss...    :(
Last edited by matrix on Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:58 pm

Lost opportunity methinks.... him and navas are absolutely brilliant...
ConnO'var

Postby red37 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:10 pm

ConnO'var wrote:Lost opportunity methinks.... him and navas are absolutely brilliant...

:(  cest la vie

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Return to The Rumour Mill